SnakeHead

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
Has anyone caught one of these? Hubby just caught one last night and brought it home for me and the kids to view. Quite a ugly looking thing and quite big too! We contacted DNR, but was wondering how common it was to be catching this guys. If you caught one, where and when? Thanks.

O

ovred

Has anyone caught one of these? Hubby just caught one last night and brought it home for me and the kids to view. Quite a ugly looking thing and quite big too! We contacted DNR, but was wondering how common it was to be catching this guys. If you caught one, where and when? Thanks.

:worthless

Last edited by a moderator:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

How did it taste??

How did it taste??

Yeah and there is a guy on the forums who caught one. There are several other reports too. I'd say it's rare, but they seem to be in lower Potomac and even on the Bay side in St Jeromes creek. Will they thive here? Hard to say. Time will tell.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yeah and there is a guy on the forums who caught one. There are several other reports too. I'd say it's rare, but they seem to be in lower Potomac and even on the Bay side in St Jeromes creek. Will they thive here? Hard to say. Time will tell.

Start telling people how great they taste, and how well they complement a Budweiser they won't be an issue for long..

corollinout

If it was caught today at the spillway, I hooked that bastard last night. Broke off my crank bait hooked in his mouth. I contacted the DNR today about it today as well. I was planning on going there tomorrow just fishing for it, so I could see if it still had my lure and to kill it, but I guess since your husband caught it already, I can go for bass instead.

Oh, if it happened to still have my lure in its mouth, its a nice crank bait.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
If it was caught today at the spillway, I hooked that bastard last night. Broke off my crank bait hooked in his mouth. I contacted the DNR today about it today as well. I was planning on going there tomorrow just fishing for it, so I could see if it still had my lure and to kill it, but I guess since your husband caught it already, I can go for bass instead.

Oh, if it happened to still have my lure in its mouth, its a nice crank bait.

Which spillway? The op never gave a location.

corollinout

In the Ranch Club. Across the street from Lake Lariet. I've fished there for years and never seen that in there. One reason I think that is, I fish there 2-3 times a week to waste time, and if they are as aggressive as I have read I would have seen it earlier, and I was thinking it probably was a pet that was released in there since it isn't really near a body of water close enough to hold them.

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
In the Ranch Club. Across the street from Lake Lariet. I've fished there for years and never seen that in there. One reason I think that is, I fish there 2-3 times a week to waste time, and if they are as aggressive as I have read I would have seen it earlier, and I was thinking it probably was a pet that was released in there since it isn't really near a body of water close enough to hold them.

The lake drains into Mill Creek, which is connected to the patuxent, which is connected to the bay. The fish probably swam up stream and got trapped at the spill way.

homedepot20

I remember when I left MD in 2005 they were confined to ponds . Its seems they are every where now. :whistle:

corollinout

The lake drains into Mill Creek, which is connected to the patuxent, which is connected to the bay. The fish probably swam up stream and got trapped at the spill way.

Snakehead is a fresh water fish, normally the Patuxent would be too salty for them to be able to live in that close to Mill Creek. After talking with the DNR guy today, he reminded me that we had a lot of rain that would lessen the salinity of the river enough for it to possibly live in for a short amount of time. Thinking about it more, there is another pond on Rousby Hall Rd that is before the spillway that if a group of them would to have come down, I'm thinking they would be there as well, so the hunt is still on. I do not want a fishery destroyed by these fish, so next time I go fishing, I'm going to hit that pond up.

Also from the conversation with DNR, if it came up the stream from Mill Creek, the snakehead would not have been able to climb the rocks between the creek and the spillway, but if the water level was high enough it would have been able to use the tube. I guess it should be monitored some what, enough people fish there to catch more if there are any.

On a side note, did the fish happen to still have the lure stuck in it? haha

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
I used to fish the spillway area a lot in years past but havent much this spring until i caught the snakehead a few days ago. i have been there before when the creek level was high and actually watched very large shad and carp swim upstream through the tube and some trying to swim up the small waterfall ramp. They may have been trying to find fresh water to spawn or who knows why. I have seen this same scenario at the outflow of the lake at Seahorse Beach.The snakehead did not have a lure in its mouth and i also lost a lure that day from a snakehead looking fish.The fish i landed didnt have my lure or the other lure.So is there more in there? We'll see ill be fishing there more to find out.

corollinout

I've fished there a few times since you caught it and I have only seen the shadow of a fish, which was probably a carp, but it swam different. I am unsure exactly what it was, but more than likely a carp. I'm thinking about bow fishing for carp.

royhobie

hobieflyer

They are all over the place in St. Jerome's Creek. I am told they will eat up every other creature in the body of water where they are. Some have been known to grow around 4 feet. Haven't seen any this large yet. I believe some folks have seen 2 feet, 6 inches. The average of a full grown adult is 2 feet. State does not want them released alive. If you catch any of them, be sure they are dead. State does not want any snakeheads thrown back in.

Personally, I think it is too late. I think they are taking over our Creeks and eventually our Bay. I happened to watch the Snakehead horror picture last night on the Sci-Fi channel. What a stupid movie, which depicted the fish attacking and killing people. They movie should have been about what it can do to sea life in the Bay and our Creeks. This would be (and is) a true horror picture that is taking place now. Some of the snakeheads will be eaten by other fish. However, it looks like they breed and adapt to conditions far better than any other fish we have. They can even breath and live on land. No other fish can do that. It proves to me how well they can adapt to almost any condition.

The Bay is open to the ocean. In time, they will head to the ocean. The bigger fish such as sharks will get some of them. In time, I suspect the snakeheads will become a food supply for larger fish such as sharks. We will probably see more of them coming in to the Bay as we have last year. However, sharks are not plentiful. Mankind kills sharks as fast as they can. Once a eco-balance is disturbed by mankind, its really hard to say what the result will be. They eco-balance was "fair" before the introduction of the snakeheads by man in the upper Potomac River. Now, it's anyone's guess.

The good news, if there is any, is that they are suppoed to be good eating.

Anabaptist

For those that are saying the salinity is too high for snakeheads in certain locations, the water seems to have very low salinity this year. I've been catching channel catfish as far south as Solomons on the Patuxent. In years past they were a rare catch around Greenwell State Park. I'm catching quite a bit in recent days.