Snow Tubing

H

HouseCat

You've done it....you know you have, you closet redneck you...

Where's a good place around here to go when/if it smows? ...where you won't get a butt full of buck-shot.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Are you looking for public type places in Southern Maryland or referrals for resorts?

If the first there is a church on Route 5 just before you get to Great Mills Road that has a big hill where people go sledding/tubing. If you want a resort type place we found White Tail to be the cheapest/closest.

H

HouseCat

Cool! Thanks for the info... I will check all of those out. Hubby and I are doing some skiing too so that link will come in handy.

Gwydion

Ski Liberty has an AWESOME trail. Very long, very fast, and quite fun, especially when they have the snow makers on full blast. You go so quick that it actually stings your face!

T

toppick08

Lord, I want to do this so bad.....looks like great fun..:yahoo:

L

lugebob

If you like it on the extreme side you need to try Airboarding at Canaan Valley Resort in Davis West, Virginia. Wicked fast with lots of air. Believe it or not extreme snow sledding is what got me into wanting to street luge. I could do it with NO SMOW all year. Picture me doing what you see in the video using a modified Flexible Flyer in the 1960 and 70's I still pull it out now and then.

Go AirBoard speeds can reach well over 80 mph in some places.

Ready Set Go

This last one is shot by one of my street luge buddies Yvon on one of the trips to Korea. IF you like his video work I can point you to more crazy stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toppick08

If you like it on the extreme side you need to try Airboarding at Canaan Valley Resort in Davis West, Virginia. Wicked fast with lots of air. Believe it or not extreme snow sledding is what got me into wanting to street luge. I could do it with NO SMOW all year. Picture me doing what you see in the video using a modified Flexible Flyer in the 60 and 70's I still pull it out now and then.

Go AirBoard

You a crazy mothafrucka'.....that's why I :love: U....:wink:

L

lugebob

Top! Here is one on clean pavement from an event in England 2 weeks before I met you.. see if you see the parallel lol

And the granddaddy sickest run of ever

Last edited by a moderator:

Tomcat

Anytime
Since there seems to be a lot of skiers on here, Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail are all owned by the same company. They are all about the same time/distance from StMary's. They are all day trip ski areas (no lodging) although I remember reading somewhere about maybe a hotel or soomething being built at one of them. I prefer Roundtop for the way it's laid out. Facing the hill, the easiest is on your right and gets more difficult as you move to the left. However, most of the trails/slopes are interconnected so if you are skiing with a group of friends and not everyone is the same level skiier, you end up at the lifts together. I don't care for Liberty the way it is laid out (front and back of the mountain). Whitetail always seemed to only have about 1/2 the slopes opened when I was there.
Never made it to Snowshoe (don't think you can get there from here) in a reasonable amount of time for a weekend trip.
Haven't been to Wisp for over 20 years, thanks for the link to their site. Looks like a lot has changed since then.
7 Springs has been our 2nd home for 20 years. :buddies: See ya there

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Since there seems to be a lot of skiers on here, Liberty, Roundtop and Whitetail are all owned by the same company. They are all about the same time/distance from StMary's. They are all day trip ski areas (no lodging) although I remember reading somewhere about maybe a hotel or soomething being built at one of them. I prefer Roundtop for the way it's laid out. Facing the hill, the easiest is on your right and gets more difficult as you move to the left. However, most of the trails/slopes are interconnected so if you are skiing with a group of friends and not everyone is the same level skiier, you end up at the lifts together. I don't care for Liberty the way it is laid out (front and back of the mountain). Whitetail always seemed to only have about 1/2 the slopes opened when I was there.
Never made it to Snowshoe (don't think you can get there from here) in a reasonable amount of time for a weekend trip.
Haven't been to Wisp for over 20 years, thanks for the link to their site. Looks like a lot has changed since then.
7 Springs has been our 2nd home for 20 years. :buddies: See ya there

Snow shoe is off the hook by far my favorite. I only live 11 miles from whitetail and did not ski there once last year. I did take the kids tubing. I can see the trails from the hangar I work in. They have some white stuff on them but I do not think they are scheduled to open til Christmas. This cold snap might change that. Anybody wana plan a trip up here let me know I got extra room most weekends except when I have the kids.

M

MistysDaddy08

I've been going to Ski Liberty for the past 4 years, now we go to Massanutten in McGayhesville, Virginia. Its about 35min south of Luray. It has a 900ft drop and is bigger than Liberty's hill. From the Waldorf area its about 3 1/2 hours and also depends on which way you go... I wouldn't know the exact time, because we usually stay at my girlfriend's aunts house in Luray the night before...

More info go to... Massanutten Resort: A Four Season Resort Located in the Beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Nanny Pam

When I was a kid we always went to Valley Forge. :yay: It was about 1/2 hour drive and the hills were unbelievable.
We had so much fun, but after 3 or 4 rides down those hills, we were exhausted from walking back to the top. We always used the toboggon.
Memories!
Ahhhh.....those were the days!! :lmao: