So, Calvert Sheriff election?

UglyBear

The previous election seemed much more heated. This one is a bit quieter, with several good candidates.
I’m a normal middle-class law-abiding homeowner, and I appreciated what Sheriff Evans did — kept our county safe, kept the trash out, and nipped last summer’s BS in the bud.
Who would be a good replacement?

UglyBear

Besides Mike Wilson, who else is running?

🤔
Cox, Kontra and McDowell I think. All three have tepid Republican support.
I can’t decide between those three. Cox is my generation and would bring new blood. Kontra (we chatted a bit at the County Fair) seems decent, and this is his third time running. McDowell was Evan’s second in command, so maybe he would continue on Evans’ path. :sshrug:
I honestly haven’t heard much about Wilson, maybe saw a sign or two .

Grumpy

Could you please tell why? Even “gut feeling” is a good reason :)
Have only talked to him a few times, found him straight forward with his thoughts, didn't feel like he was giving me a line. Friends of mine that I respect speak highly of him. BTW, I wasn't a fan of Evans, tho I didn't feel he did a bad job here in Calvert. I've had words with Kontra so I am biased against him. I know nothing about Cox, will probably look him up and see what he is about.

BOP

I'm voting to remove Evans, not because he's a bad guy, but because he's the incumbent. Throw the bums out is my motto.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The previous election seemed much more heated. This one is a bit quieter, with several good candidates.
I’m a normal middle-class law-abiding homeowner, and I appreciated what Sheriff Evans did — kept our county safe, kept the trash out, and nipped last summer’s BS in the bud.
Who would be a good replacement?
My personal choice is Dave McDowell.

It's quiet right now, but fairly early. it may well get more interesting. The Calvert Republican Central Committee does not endorse any candidate until the primary. They do, however, assist all candidates in running.

Besides Dave McDowell, the other candidates are: Craig Kontra, Ricky Cox, Mike Wilson, and someone else I can't recall right now.

Bann

PREMO Member
I was not imressed by Ricky Cox. He's a nice young man, but when I asked questions about his platform, he became defensive - never a good sign, in my book. You also do not get brownie points from me if you are going to put the other candidates down. Just tell me why you will be a better Sheriff.

Also, I went to the Lincoln Reagan dinner last week held by the Calvert County Republican Party. Each candidate who was running for Republican office was given two minutes to speak. He went way over his 2 minutes, didn't seem to give a crap about that, and he really didn't talk that much about his platform. :lol: He spent too much time talking about himself as a Veteran, kids sports coach, how wonderful he was, etc.etc. :blahblah:

I get it He's young, probably inexperienced at public speaking, and so forth. A 2 min. speech is not the time to drone on and on and on about how wonderful you are. It's really just enough time to hit the bullet points of your platform and then you direct people to visit your website and/or your Facebook page to learn more about you.

Bann

PREMO Member
I've gotten to know Dave McDowell over the last 4 or 5 years and have worked with him and other CC Deputies at the Celtic Festival, my younger son also knows his son - they worked at the Corrections Facility together a few years ago. Like Grumpy, I also have close friends whom speak very highly of him. I personally know families he has helped (checked up on, offered moral support) when they were in crisis mode. I personally know his character.

He has NEVER, not once talked bad about another candidate. He talks about the kind of Sheriff HE will be and is always open to discussing his platform and listens to concerns when people present them to him. I've heard him publicly speak a number of times. I also talk with him at every GOP event I've seen him at.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

McDowell is a coat-tailer. There's a reason Evans picked him to be his second. Because McDowell fully supported Evans and everything he did, and implemented and oversaw Evan's ignorant policies.

Craig Contra is the best candidate. Fully retired three years now, I think. No bones to pick. No retaliation actions. An honest fellow that wants to change/fix the way the internal operations, and disparities, at the department are handled. And be "that" polarizing Sheriff that we had, and could have again with McDowell.

UglyBear

If I may ...

McDowell is a coat-tailer. There's a reason Evans picked him to be his second. Because McDowell fully supported Evans and everything he did, and implemented and oversaw Evan's ignorant policies.

Craig Contra is the best candidate. Fully retired three years now, I think. No bones to pick. No retaliation actions. An honest fellow that wants to change/fix the way the internal operations, and disparities, at the department are handled. And be "that" polarizing Sheriff that we had, and could have again with McDowell.
Thank you for your opinion. I was not aware of some criticism of Evans. Could you please expand on the “Evan’s ignorant policies” and “polarizing Sheriff” parts?

One question I wanted to ask each candidate was “would you have done the same thing as Evans at last summer’s BLM protest?”. The chance of any one of them answering honestly is below zero.

GregV814

I know a couple of Deputies and the sheriff.
Mike is a good man, the product of his mother's politics and a few years with the MSP. It's good to have a ranking politician in the family. Then an injury and another trooper, Sheriff Ward's, help (via a Special appointment). That does NOT discount his ability/leadership.

Dave is a good man. Heritage in the police community and learning the ropes from a good man is good.

I am very, very glad the County did not do a "nationwide search" for a Chief like our neighboring two County's to the North and Northeast. If you are a forced retirement Muslim, go to PG. Bring other associates along.

If you are a two time loser bring your associates, including a gay WOC, head to Millersville.

Dave will get my vote.

UglyBear

I know a couple of Deputies and the sheriff.
Mike is a good man, the product of his mother's politics and a few years with the MSP. It's good to have a ranking politician in the family. Then an injury and another trooper, Sheriff Ward's, help (via a Special appointment). That does NOT discount his ability/leadership.
that Mike would be Wilson?

Dave is a good man. Heritage in the police community and learning the ropes from a good man is good.
that would be McDowell?

I am very, very glad the County did not do a "nationwide search" for a Chief like our neighboring two County's to the North and Northeast. If you are a forced retirement Muslim, go to PG. Bring other associates along.
that happened last election, right?

If you are a two time loser bring your associates, including a gay WOC, head to Millersville.
and this is who?

Dave will get my vote.
Would you mind explaining the bolded parts in your quote? I respect your opinion, in general and as a retired LEO, and just want to have more detailed info prior to voting.

Bann

PREMO Member
If I may ...

Kontra has been running since before he retired. 2 or 3 failed elections, I think.

I have no personal dealings with him, and don't know him at all, but I had occasion to hear him present his agenda/platform twice at local GOP meetings I attend. He would always put Evans down, rather than talk about HIS agenda. I never feel that's the best way to get your views out there.

I also beg to differ that he had no bones to pick, because he clearly did.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Thank you for your opinion. I was not aware of some criticism of Evans. Could you please expand on the “Evan’s ignorant policies” and “polarizing Sheriff” parts?

One question I wanted to ask each candidate was “would you have done the same thing as Evans at last summer’s BLM protest?”. The chance of any one of them answering honestly is below zero.
Most of it is internal moral issues. But I do know this. Remember when the school speed cameras came about? Well it was Kontra's idea that Evans took as his own, the big difference, is that Kontra wanted to use the funds generated to fund and pay for the school resource deputies. Instead Evans pushed for basically a slush fund. And what was the first thing Evans did with that money? Install a tag reader cameras at the Rt 4 Anne Arundel county line recording all people entering and leaving the county.

If you are not aware of the many criticisms of Evans, maybe you should ask around. Plenty of history out there.

Oh. And instead of asking what someone would have done differently as opposed to what Evans did, is to ask what they will do, or how they will handle a similar future type event. The past is in the past. Can't change it.