So....DACA

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is a big deal again because Trump has seen the light and is now considering a path to citizenship for children brought to the US illegally and raised as Americans.

On one hand, it's not hard to get legal in this country - a million people do it every year. Get legal or get out.

On the other hand, ship them back....to what? This is where they were raised and the only country they know.

This stuff isn't hard. Criminal aliens should be immediately deported and those who are operating as American citizens - going to school, working, being productive - should be offered citizenship. Anyone with a criminal record or no visible means of support, GTFO. Illegal immigrants who want to stay should have to take an oath of loyalty and not engage in seditious activities - if they don't want to do that, GTFO. If they don't want to become American citizens, GTFO.

I don't think children should be punished for the crimes of their parents. Of course, most of these people aren't children anymore, they are adults and should certainly have the wherewithal to become legal citizens. Again, a million people do it every year.

If I were Imperial Queen of the Universe, I'd tighten down on what non-citizens can and cannot do. You cannot open a business if you aren't an American citizen. You can only have a temporary drivers license for certain purposes. Your children cannot go to our schools. You can only have a temporary work permit. Etc. I'd do away with Spanish translations for our government programs - foreigners aren't supposed to be getting our benefits anyway and there's no reason whatsoever for me to have to press 1 for English when calling the IRS or the MDUI office.

Criminals from other countries should be deported immediately, and if they come back they should be put to death.

I'd also make English our official language. That we've never done that is ridiculous. If I expatriated to a foreign country, I would learn how to speak their language and that is a reasonable demand.

There are so-called conservatives railing about Trump and saying that, oh, now he's lost their vote because he won't immediately kick out every single illegal in this country. Fine with me. Go ahead and vote for Joe Biden, you lamebrain MF, and see what that gets you. I can't stand these single-issue my way or the highway goobers anyway, and if it were up to me they wouldn't be allowed to vote in the first place.

Thoughts?

Reactions: BOP

stgislander

PREMO Member
Truthfully I've never had an issue with DACA as long as those persons were productive citizens. There should be a mechanism for them to stay in the country and apply for citizenship. Those with criminal records or on perpetual govt assistance should be sent back to wherever their family came from.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Thoughts?

I agree with most of what you're saying here.

Agree on DACA. Most DACA people are already productive members of American society. Why send them back to a country they have no memories of? They should be given a path to citizenship (ie. Green card then naturalization).

Criminal records and stuff like that are already heavily scrutinized.

The people who trespassed into our country should be shown the door.

The part I don't agree with is that you want to differentiate between what citizens and non-citizens can do. Are you talking people with green cards who are permanent residents? People with I-766 authorization? Those people came here legally and followed the rules. I would think that's what we want. Keep in mind, my Mrs. falls in the non-citizen category. She raised three kids here who are all very well off. Having attended public schools and have all paid their fair share to society. Probably more than quite a few citizens.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Truthfully I've never had an issue with DACA as long as those persons were productive citizens. There should be a mechanism for them to stay in the country and apply for citizenship. Those with criminal records or on perpetual govt assistance should be sent back to wherever their family came from.

The crime rate among DACA beneficiaries is a fraction of that among citizens. They are subject to periodic background checks in order to remain part of DACA. They have to pay $495 to apply and $495 at each renewal. They are also not eligible for federal govt assistance.

Fact Sheet: Immigrants and Public Benefits

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are you talking people with green cards who are permanent residents?

There should be no such thing as a foreign "permanent citizen". If they want to be a permanent citizen of the United States, they should become a legal citizen, period.

Keep in mind, my Mrs. falls in the non-citizen category. She raised three kids here who are all very well off. Having attended public schools and have all paid their fair share to society. Probably more than quite a few citizens.

Then they need to become real citizens.

I don't really understand the concept of "permanent citizens" who aren't really US citizens. If they're going to remain here permanently, they should simply become a US citizen and be done with it. Why wouldn't they?

I'm also okay with foreign citizens who've been living here awhile and have assimilated to American life being fast tracked. "Oh, that's not fair to those waiting in line!" So what? These folks have been here for years (decades), they are American citizens in everything but name, so I have no problem giving them priority. We don't owe foreigners waiting in line a damn thing, but I think we do owe the immigrants who've been here contributing to our country.

Hijinx

The people I want sent back are the ones who do not want to become citizens.
They walk around with Mexican Flags and give the finger to all of us.
They come here for the goodies ,but they don't want to be citizens.

Reactions: BOP

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Totally agree with you here as this is where my Mrs. is right now. She's been here since 1990 and while she is here legally, she's never had a path to citizenship. But she's been working, following the laws, learned English, pays taxes, has owned a house since 2006, raised three good kids, etc.

I don't understand how she's been here for 30 years and has had no path to citizenship. Please explain.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We'll have to just disagree then because I think it's messed up to think that my loved ones aren't good enough to start businesses, have regular drivers licenses, attend school, etc. just because they're not citizens yet even though they came here legally.

You can get personally offended if you want to, but the fact remains that if they want to live their lives as American citizens they should in fact * be * American citizens. Laws are there for a reason. It has nothing to do with whether they're "good enough".

There should be no such thing as a "legal permanent resident". I don't even know how they came up with something so effed up.

Toxick

Splat
Some people don't understand sarcasm. 🤷‍♀️

This is true. However, I realize in print it's even harder to detect. And I also realize my delivery - even in person - leaves people looking at me askance wondering, sometimes out loud, "is he being sarcastic, or is he really that ****ing stupid".

It's usually the former.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is true. However, I realize in print it's even harder to detect. And I also realize my delivery - even in person - leaves people looking at me askance wondering, sometimes out loud, "is he being sarcastic, or is he really that ****ing stupid".

It's usually the former.

When someone says something absurd I usually think they're being sarcastic, which makes me laugh. Then they're like, " :mad: " and I'm like, "Oh. You were serious."

awpitt

Main Streeter
I don't understand how she's been here for 30 years and has had no path to citizenship. Please explain.

It is confusing so in a "nutshell". She came here seeking asylum which was granted. The asylum allowed her to do everything that a permanent resident can do except leave the country and apply for citizenship. If she were to leave the country for any reason, the asylum would be forfeited. That's just the way it worked. When we got married, she paid $2500 and applied for an adjustment of status. Once that happens, she'll be on the waiting list for naturalization.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It is confusing so in a "nutshell". She came here seeking asylum which was granted. The asylum allowed her to do everything that a permanent resident can do except leave the country and apply for citizenship. If she were to leave the country for any reason, the asylum would be forfeited. That's just the way it worked. When we got married, she paid $2500 and applied for an adjustment of status. Once that happens, she'll be on the waiting list for naturalization.
How old was she when she arrived? Had she never married in the last 30 years? Until you? How was she able to obtain a home loan?