So far, so good

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our first out of the area trip is winding down. Prior to this all of our campground adventures have been close to home without the necessity of hooking up the truck and towing it behind us. I haven't taken an extended RV road trip in a long while. It was good to get back out on the road.

Our route took us through a lot of traffic light areas. Those aren't my favorite places to drive. I prefer to run the interstates to get close to where I'm going. If I can't run the interstates then I'm fine with good, dual lane roads with a bit of shoulder. I do like the roads that have long on ramps. Most of the time(>90%) I'm in the slow lane. But I have to watch out for people merging left from the on ramp. Long on ramps let you see and judge the traffic so I can adjust speed accordingly. Most of the time I'm doing this without being aware I'm doing it.

Our first choice of campsites was already filled by 4 pm on Friday. After mid September they become first come, first serve campsites. I'm not sure what time the last electric site was rented but no matter we were SOL. They told us there were a few places at the other campsite in the park a few miles away. As luck would have it, I was able to get a level, electric site. This campsite didn't have running water at the site. I was surprised since the electric sites in the National Forest had water at the sites. The NF is much more rustic than the State Park.

The rest of the time in the SP was uneventful. We hiked up to the waterfalls on Saturday. It was quite a popular sight with lots of families, kids & pets heading up for a peak at the falls. There wasn't much of a fall since it looks like it hasn't rained significantly in a while. We went to Chubby's for some BBQ burnt ends. A stop at Chubby's is never disappointing.

Next stop was the KOA campground in Gettysburg. This is a very attractive campground. They kept the rustic look as all the sites are quite wooded. There's a seasonal swimming pool plus a dog park and a few other amenities. Being close the Gettysburg & the battlefield they do quite a brisk business. We were greeted by a spotter that took us to our site and helped with the backing in.

We have the dog pen set up. It worked really well. We combined 2 sections making an ample spot for Apollo. He likes to sit and watch the goings on. He doesn't care for the noisy motorcycles. We need to pick up a foldable rug to complete his setup. Yesterday's dinner was made on our newly purchased Cobb Grill. Using a handful of charcoal briquettes it cooks & smokes amazingly fast. We can't wait to try it out again. Vrai's digging her camp rocking chair. I still prefer the gravity chair. The camp has wifi but it's not the fastest. Dinner was seasoned pork chops & chicken breasts. I want to try some burgers on that thing.

Best thing about being on the road is that it's just like when we are at home. We get things knocked out together. Meal prep & clean up is a snap. We are jointly brainstorming how we can make better use of our limited space. Our goal being better prepared when we roll down the road for good. Working on pitching the useless stuff that has accumulated.

Even though we resisted building a campfire, evenings have been quite pleasurable sitting outside. We chit chat, enjoy adult beverages +/or sit on the computer. Tonight it's raining pretty steady so we moved indoors. We have a great local radio station that plays all the obscure 2nd tier songs from the 70s up to the 90s. Many songs have us trying to outguess the other for the song title and artist. They even played that Bo Donaldson chartbuster, The Night Chicago Died. As Vrai pointed out, that was someone's favorite song.

I can't wait to roll down the road for good. I know it's going to be 1 adventure after the other. There are so many different places to see & explore. Even small towns have lots of character. We love heading down the road less traveled.

Stay tuned for more...................

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You could follow Guy Fi-whatever his name is and give us the real low down on some of those places he hits on Triple D. Map out a trip to hit as many micro breweries as possible in a year. A buddy of mine just went on a bachelor party weekend touring bourbon distilleries in Kentucky. Diamond mining in Arkansas. Visit every Margaritaville Cafe in the Continental US.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You could follow Guy Fi-whatever his name is and give us the real low down on some of those places he hits on Triple D. Map out a trip to hit as many micro breweries as possible in a year. A buddy of mine just went on a bachelor party weekend touring bourbon distilleries in Kentucky. Diamond mining in Arkansas. Visit every Margaritaville Cafe in the Continental US.

Our's would probably include BBQ joints. Because can you ever eat enough good BBQ? We ate out twice, 1 lunch & 1 dinner. We are capable cooks so we prefer a DIY dinner most of the time.

We did make some cherry mule drinks our first night out. It's bourbon, tart cherry juice, fresh lime juice, ginger beer & lots of ice. Served in a copper mug. The cherry & lime go well together. Some ginger beers have quite a strong bite, but this brand didn't. Sam Adams ale rounded out the rest of the adult beverages.

littlelady

God bless the USA

It is Guy Fieri. You may be on to something. Food Network is always looking for new shows. Maybe, vrai and Monello could be the next big hit! I am sure they would love that!

Last edited:

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
ditto on this thing, Was invention of year by Time Mag.... Want to know more....

Have fun, Do you Golf also Mo, did you take your clubs V????????????

Its one of my fun things golfing with DW !!!!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cobb Grills

http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com/

We used it for the first time the other night; grilled pork chops and chicken. They were delicious but we overcooked them because we're not familiar yet with how it works. But it's a slick piece of equipment. Highly portable, perfect for camping, not meant for big racks of party ribs. Clean up was easier than the reviewers are saying.

This is not a low and slow cooker at all (I don't think - we'll have to experiment). But based on our chops and chickie, you'll get the same smoked flavor.

I can see us using this a good bit for a variety of dishes. We love to make pizza and the Cobb would be perfect for that. It's a great addition to our little kitchen. :yay:

Last edited: