So, new style water tank by Nicoletti's

glhs837

Power with Control
So, finally got a good look while waiting for the sons and my afternoon Breakfast Sandwich from the Beanery, which, BTW might just be the best damn BS in the county. Not sure what I'm seeing, thought we built water towers as towers for the pressure. Not sure how the newfangled "lowboy" water tower gets that done, unless it's less costly to jump pump than go highboy? Anyone have any real knowledge?

When they complete the water tank, they will crane it up to the top of the concrete pillar and it will be as tall, if not taller, than the original one.

jrt_ms1995

When they complete the water tank, they will crane it up to the top of the concrete pillar and it will be as tall, if not taller, than the original one.
No, no, no! It's built upside down; when complete they'll stand it upright. Lots of levers & ropes & winches involved. The best part of doing it this way is the painting goes really fast and gives a great finish. Painters just stand in place and spray as the tank is spun around at 78 rpm. Or is it 33-1/3?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Why was the one on the left allowed to deteriorate so much? If maintained those water tanks last for decades. You do have to paint the outside and periodically drain it to inspect and paint the interior but doing that every 15 years is cheaper than replacing it.

Tech

Why was the one on the left allowed to deteriorate so much? If maintained those water tanks last for decades. You do have to paint the outside and periodically drain it to inspect and paint the interior but doing that every 15 years is cheaper than replacing it.
Most likely the development. In that area has increased at least ten fold since the original tank.

glhs837

Power with Control

Thanks, that was exactly what I was after..

Most likely the development. In that area has increased at least ten fold since the original tank.

From the article.....

A much larger, two million gallon composite water storage tank in the Hickory Hills community (located behind the new Nissan dealership on MD 235) will replace the existing 500,000 gallon facility, built in 1992.

I also note the fact that the old one was built just a year before I arrived in SMC..... :)