So, the hunt for a "new" bike, if it's totalled

glhs837

Power with Control
So, adjuster looks it over today, Josh at SM says he thinks it a pretty good chance the adjuster totals it. SO of course, I''m window shopping bikes. After nine years and 30K, think I'm done with V-stroms, not sure where to go next. Something cruiserish, maybe, maybe a naked streetbike sort of thing like the Honda 919. There are two or three newer models that have caught my eye, from the BMW R Nine T, the Indian Scout, the new Fat Bob, but those are far outside my budget, which I dont expect to exceed 5K.

Looking at the BMW Montauk, it's certainly interesting, looks like it might fit me well. Might take a while to find one, though.

I got an '87 GoldWing available. Needs some carb work and TLC. Very low cost, want it out of here.

glhs837

Power with Control
5K won't buy the seat for a Harley. :razz::razz:

I got an '87 GoldWing available. Needs some carb work and TLC. Very low cost, want it out of here.

Endded up closer to 6500, so that's nice :) Yeah, no Harley I could afford is one I want :) And nothing quite that old. GOt burned a bit with my 83 Nighthawks, for which getting fork tubes was not impossible, but would have represented %50 of the value of the bike.

black dog

Free America
Hmmmmmm, that is tempting, what does AMF stand for again?

Hey... HEY.. I own two shovels,. If it don't vibrate, chunk and leak.. it ain't real Detroit.

But jokes aside, for 6500 you should easily find a clean low mile 1200 Sportster.

Or a Hugger with a Pink Bell Star..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
No since trying to deny that.. I blame it on the chain oiler :shrug:.
I put synthetic in the fxs once,,,,,,. It climbed up and out..

This one of mine only leaked out of the trans countershaft..the one place you simply cannot stop leaking from. I plugged the chain oiler when I went with belt primary drive.
DSC_0014_014.jpg

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So, adjuster looks it over today, Josh at SM says he thinks it a pretty good chance the adjuster totals it. SO of course, I''m window shopping bikes. After nine years and 30K, think I'm done with V-stroms, not sure where to go next. Something cruiserish, maybe, maybe a naked streetbike sort of thing like the Honda 919. There are two or three newer models that have caught my eye, from the BMW R Nine T, the Indian Scout, the new Fat Bob, but those are far outside my budget, which I dont expect to exceed 5K.

Looking at the BMW Montauk, it's certainly interesting, looks like it might fit me well. Might take a while to find one, though.

How much money ya got?
HighBeam.jpg

glhs837

Power with Control
Depends on who you ask. ;-) AMF owned Harley during the "dark years"..almost destroyed the brand.

REally shocked there isnt one that mocks it, like Sailors say "Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :)

I had wondered if you still had that. My concern with one of those is that I'm 5'8" with a bit less than 30 inches inseam.. But I wouldn't be averse to coming over to see if it fits. My budget is pending negotiations with the wife :) It's been a while since you had it up for sale, any of your ads still extant?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
REally shocked there isnt one that mocks it, like Sailors say "Never Again Volunteer Yourself. :)

I had wondered if you still had that. My concern with one of those is that I'm 5'8" with a bit less than 30 inches inseam.. But I wouldn't be averse to coming over to see if it fits. My budget is pending negotiations with the wife :) It's been a while since you had it up for sale, any of your ads still extant?

Seats adjustable.. i have it on the high setting..

I'm sure you dont want the expense of buying the lowered suspension.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I am glad that you weren’t totaled. My son has had an infatuation with motorcycles, forever, and has ridden his friends’ bikes. SIL sold his bike when he married my dot. One of my bros was, seriously, injured in college because of an accident (not his fault) and he still is dealing with the injuries to this day. For the life of me, I don’t understand the infatuation with cycles. Drivers on the road are so negligent these days. Why put yourself out there with, literally, no protection. Why do you ride a motorcycle? Just wondering.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Seats adjustable.. i have it on the high setting..

I'm sure you dont want the expense of buying the lowered suspension.

Ads keep going dormant on me

Well, tell me more, and I agree, I dont think I need EAS. From what I read, there are three different seats, in addition to being able to adjust the height. And there were factory low and high suspension settings aside from EAS or the adjustment and different actual seats. It's BMW, so of course it's a confusing morass :) I would like to know more, repost the content of your ad in this thread if you want.

For the life of me, I don’t understand the infatuation with cycles. Drivers on the road are so negligent these days. Why put yourself out there with, literally, no protection. Why do you ride a motorcycle? Just wondering.

Some people never will understand, and that's okay. You say infatuation, though and it's not that. After doing it off and on since 1982, it's past infatuation and into love :) Drivers have alway been negligent, always will be, it's the nature of sitting inside a box. Thats why riders call them cagers. :) Why do I ride? Could maybe fill a book. But at the end of it, it makes me feel good, like virtually any activity that any human engages in. I love being on a motorcycle. Enough that I acquired the gear to enable to ride no matter the conditions. There are studies showing that riding reduces stress levels. I know it does that for me. Most folks, driving car is a A-B thing. Me, I want to enjoy that trip. If not in a bike, then in a vehicle that's enjoyable to drive. I have air tools, but only use them for 1-3 percent of my wrenching...... because the feel of a ratchet in my hands is a part of wrenching that gives the feedback that makes it enjoyable.

AS to the risk, there is risk in everything. In flight and flight test, we practice risk acceptance. Now everybody in the world does this every day, but they dont think about it or understand it. There's things you must do, fetch the mail, get to work, make dinner, whatever. Every single one of those has risk. Some high, some low, but risk is there. You accept that risk because that thing must get done. You might mitigate some of that risk by taking steps like not using a gas range, because your gramdma left the gas on once and blew up the house. Maybe you take a different route to work because the traffic on one road is too risky for you.For me, riding is a thing I must do, it keeps me happy and much lower in stress. I know that riding increases my risk, so I mitigate that and accept that there are things I cannot control. But to not ride isn't an option.