So, torn between Computers and Tech and The Ride, but here it is, beta Full Self Driving

glhs837

Power with Control
The key here is BETA. This is additional testing and training for the AI. Having recently test driven Autopilot, basically the idiot level of this, the big takeaway is how much can be done with a basic radar and eight cameras. This video is a long drive with mixed surface streets and traffic. One thing to keep in mind is that this isnt "geofenced" or restricted to highways. You could and can take one of these anywhere in the country (cold weather will be interesting, no data yet) and turn it loose. It doesnt need maps or a data connection. There are a ton of videos out there already, evidently Tesla told these beta testers they could record and release whatever they want. https://electrek.co/2020/10/24/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-30-minute-realistic-trip-video/

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Really not interested in a self driving car. I drive because I like driving. I like having control. I like shifting the gears.

I think I would be a nervous wreck with a self driving car, just waiting for that moment when it doesn't do what I think it should.

glhs837

Power with Control
Really not interested in a self driving car. I drive because I like driving. I like having control. I like shifting the gears.

I think I would be a nervous wreck with a self driving car, just waiting for that moment when it doesn't do what I think it should.

So do I, I'll never give up my motorcycle, and the manual 1998 and 99 3 series convertibles or rides like them will always be a part of my life. But my wife doesn't really like driving, and wehn you think of 400 mile drives where 90% of it is just droning along on the highway....there are applications, not to mention people who cannot drive. And lets be honest, most likely over 75% of drivers are mailing it in, barely paying minimum attention.

I know what you are saying about what you expect. There's only a couple of people I'm truly happy being a passenger with, and only because I trained them. :)

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'll never give up my motorcycle,
That's why I got the Slingshot when I had to give up the GoldWing. It's as close to the road as a bike as you can get.
...not to mention people who cannot drive. And lets be honest, most likely over 75% of drivers are mailing it in, barely paying minimum attention.
Agree. For those, the anti-accident equipment will be their saviour. I have another 1300 mile (one way) trip in a few weeks. I enjoy the ride and change of scenery.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's why I got the Slingshot when I had to give up the GoldWing. It's as close to the road as a bike as you can get.

Agree. For those, the anti-accident equipment will be their saviour. I have another 1300 mile (one way) trip in a few weeks. I enjoy the ride and change of scenery.

See, I would call the Spyder the closest to a bike whereas I would call the Slingshot the most minimal car you can get. Just based on sit on vs sit in. But thats me, always said if I cant ride, I was going to go the Spyder route. But depends, some limitations wouldn't let climb on.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
See, I would call the Spyder the closest to a bike whereas I would call the Slingshot the most minimal car you can get. Just based on sit on vs sit in. But thats me, always said if I cant ride, I was going to go the Spyder route. But depends, some limitations wouldn't let climb on.
That's fair. I rode the Spyder and hated it, nothing like a bike. Can't lean, and the inertia tends to push you over the handlebars in the opposite direction of the turn. After riding 2 wheels for 50+ years, it felt very unnatural.

But taking the Sling around a 90* corner at 45 and staying in lane is more than exhilarating.

glhs837

Power with Control
Give me a manual transmission every time. So much fun having the speed range of 40mph - 110 in 3rd gear alone.

Going into Gate 1 everyday, back in the day, not so much. But otherwise, I agree. Glad my kids feel the same. But I have to say, the acceleration curve of an EV feels crazy. And one I dove was the "slow" one. But for every one of us, there are 100 A-B people, who only drive because they must.