So....Tulsi Gabbard

BOP

TG has served in uniform. I think anyone in that line of work has a better sense of how a humongous government entity functions and understands it's benefits and also is aware of it's flaws and deficiencies. She has a lot more organizational understanding than say a career food service worker or a community organizer.
I have mad respect for everyone who serves in uniform, no matter what their country and the military asked them to do. I also realize that a fair number have gone on to disgrace that service. John Murtha, John McCain III, Lee Harvey Oswald, and many others all come to mind, in no particular order or rank based on their actions, post military service.

I can respect their choices as far as their political leanings, and I don't believe the vast majority of them see their leanings as anti-American. In fact, I'm sure that Tammy Duckworth, for example, would be outraged at the suggestion. But their political positions cast them squarely into the same camp as those who are completely and wholly dedicated to bringing down this country, regardless of their personal beliefs and motivations.

Again, huge respect for people like Duckworth. People like her are worthy of veneration for their sacrifices. As to their political beliefs: not so much. They don't get a pass.

BOP

And I’m sick of the “evangelicals”, 8 years of Bush after he found god somewhere between the bottles of booze. Great story, lovely, glad he got off the sauce. But this man who found Jesus started a war that devastated a huge segment of our country. His solution? Painting
W started the Civil War? Who knew?

WingsOfGold

You know you're getting old when you look at middle-aged women and think "she's kind of hot," meaning, "I'd hit it" in an abstract, hypothetical kind of way.
I've known it for long time now.... John Unitas will forever be the best!

truby20

Fighting like a girl
W started the Civil War? Who knew?

A quite large segment of the millennial generation went to fight a group of people that never attacked this country.

they were attacked

sometimes people get hurt and it's not physical. I have enough friends on instagram who are hurt, I feel for them daily, we all do.

you gross folks on this forum think everyone in this generartion takes. It's all projection

This_person

How can you say the Saudi's didn't attack us, 15 of 19 were of Saudi decent.

Help me, I want to understand.
Does that mean that Austria is actually who invaded Poland, since Hitler was Austrian and not German?

Or, to avoid the specter of Godwin's Rule, did Ireland invade Grenada, since Reagan is of Irish descent?

Saudi Arabia has a government, and their government did not sponsor or condone or in any way drive the attack on 9/11. Just because a majority of the attackers were of Saudi descent does not mean Saudi Arabia attacked us - it means the majority were of Saudi descent. They did not attack us with Saudi backing or in the name of Saudi Arabia. As a matter of fact, Osama bin Laden was stripped of his Saudi citizenship in 1994 because he spoke out vociferously against the Saudi government, who allowed US troops to be staged in Saudi Arabia for the Gulf War.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How can you say the Saudi's didn't attack us, 15 of 19 were of Saudi decent.

Help me, I want to understand.

I Can Explain It To You, But I can't Understand It For You ...

Last edited:
Reactions: BOP

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Why do you suppose the Dems don't like her?
Here's an interesting counter-point; that the Dems like Gabbard just fine. As a third-party candidate.

A snip from the middle of the post to whet your appetite:
Rucker adds that since Gabbard has little money and would need a party behind her, a likely choice is the Libertarians, the country’s third largest party. With a little “tweaking” of her policies she could pass muster, Rucker says, and with a current or former Republican such as ex-congressman Justin Amash for balance, the ticket would appeal to many.

Is Gabbard Already Signaling a Third Party Run?

So, what if Clinton & Co’s goal is to attack Gabbard and alienate and anger her to the point where she does leave the Democrats and run third party? Oh, I’m not saying Clinton is smart enough to have planned this on her own, but that Bill and other crafty figures in her orbit are. But then there’s the kicker:

What if Gabbard is aware of this plot and is either an explicit or, more likely, a wink-and-nod participant?

Either way, the congresswoman may be signaling third-party intent. It’s not just her stated disgust with the Democrats but this: “I'm fully committed to my offer to serve you, the people of Hawaii & America, as your President & Commander-in-Chief,” she tweeted last week. “So I will not be seeking reelection to Congress in 2020.”

In other words, she’s going “all in.” But why? Does she seriously believe she can win the nomination in today’s far left, “woke” Democrat Party? Or does she have another agenda?

--- End of line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

..."a likely choice is the Libertarians"...

No, it's not.

No real Libertarian is for Tulsi as a candidate. They may be for parts of her campaign (war, marijuana), but the big things are too big to ignore (Medicare for all, free college, $15 min wage, etc.).

She had a really good interview with Stossel that highlights the few things she has in common with the Libertarian platform, and those that she does not. She seems like a genuine person and one who seems to veer from the ever-common identity politics but she's still a Democrat.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
No, it's not.

No real Libertarian is for Tulsi as a candidate. They may be for parts of her campaign (war, marijuana), but the big things are too big to ignore (Medicare for all, free college, $15 min wage, etc.).

She had a really good interview with Stossel that highlights the few things she has in common with the Libertarian platform, and those that she does not. She seems like a genuine person and one who seems to veer from the ever-common identity politics but she's still a Democrat.

Nice add. Again, thanks.

Fair enough. My interest, though, was less with the "Libertarian" angle than the "third-party run" angle In response to @vraiblonde's original post).

As far the Libertarian Party goes, I'm not sure. With your Stossel/Gabbard links you show why I'm not sure as 'libertarianism seems to be really split into a right-leaning half (how I understand Stossel) and a left-leaning half (how I understand Gabbard). So I'll go with your take....

--- End of line (MCP)

Chris0nllyn

Nice add. Again, thanks.

Fair enough. My interest, though, was less with the "Libertarian" angle than the "third-party run" angle In response to @vraiblonde's original post).

As far the Libertarian Party goes, I'm not sure. With your Stossel/Gabbard links you show why I'm not sure as 'libertarianism seems to be really split into a right-leaning half (how I understand Stossel) and a left-leaning half (how I understand Gabbard). So I'll go with your take....

--- End of line (MCP)

I don't think she'll run as a Third Party. Which one would it be? Maybe an Independent, but I highly doubt a Libertarian.

Libertarians generally are both. Right leaning when it comes to 2A rights and fiscal conservatism. Left leaning when it comes to civil liberties, drug war, military actions, etc.