So...veto...

SamSpade

Which makes the whole thing pointless, just like the impeachment charade is pointless.

This is what these people do all day. On our dime.

I'm never sure where I stand on these things - generally it seems the LESS Congress does the better we all are,
so when they spin their wheels doing pointless things, there's a part of me that breathes a sigh of relief and
quietly mutters "we all dodged another one".

On the other hand it really would be great if they actually accomplished something of value.
Think of it this way - have YOU ever worked on something big, and there were two or more camps who
thought it would be MUCH better if it was done THIS way and not that way? If it were a business, how long
would it last if all the two camps EVER did was either sabotage the other's ideas or pull stunts to make sure
THEIR side "won" and yours - lost? Not long, would it? And yet we tolerate - and consider it NORMAL - that
all these guys do is FIGHT over their ideology, hoping that their ideas succeed, or at least become so
ensconced in our society that they can't be undone.

This_person

Just to point out the stunningly obvious...the Rs have been in full control up for the past 2 years.
Just a reminder, since you have been shown this repeatedly, your point is factually inaccurate, better known as a lie.

Republicans could pass essentially nothing without cloture which required Democrat support.

That's been the truth every time you have lied about "full control".

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm never sure where I stand on these things - generally it seems the LESS Congress does the better we all are,
so when they spin their wheels doing pointless things, there's a part of me that breathes a sigh of relief and

On the other hand it really would be great if they actually accomplished something of value.
Think of it this way - have YOU ever worked on something big, and there were two or more camps who
thought it would be MUCH better if it was done THIS way and not that way? If it were a business, how long
would it last if all the two camps EVER did was either sabotage the other's ideas or pull stunts to make sure
THEIR side "won" and yours - lost? Not long, would it? And yet we tolerate - and consider it NORMAL - that
all these guys do is FIGHT over their ideology, hoping that their ideas succeed, or at least become so
ensconced in our society that they can't be undone.

Democrats have settled into political posturing rather than actually getting anything done for the people.

Not much different than what's done in this forum. Each of us have our way of thinking and pretty-much stick to it, and not much convinced - or even willing to entertain - of opposing views. For many, when they realize they aren't convincing the opposition, they resort to tactics of trying to destroy their opponent's reputation.

I honestly don't know how any of the them sleep well at night. It's unfathomable to me to wake up and go to work every day strategizing no how they are going to destroy someone, rather than do the job they were elected to do.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The problem is that they not only cost us, the taxpayers, a fortune in their salary, the salaries of their aides, the office rental, travel expenses, etc etc etc, plus their pension, they also get extremely wealthy from palm greasing, book deals, speaking fees, etc etc etc. If all they do is futz around and build their own portfolio, they shouldn't be getting getting a damn dime of our money.

SamSpade

The problem is that they not only cost us, the taxpayers, a fortune in their salary, the salaries of their aides, the office rental, travel expenses, etc etc etc, plus their pension, they also get extremely wealthy from palm greasing, book deals, speaking fees, etc etc etc. If all they do is futz around and build their own portfolio, they shouldn't be getting getting a damn dime of our money.

I guess it just occurred to me that we should not accept this kind of behavior as typical or normal, because if we ran our businesses or our PTAs or just about anything this way - it would just plain fail. You just can't have a successful organization work if there are always pitched sides determined to overpower, discredit or undermine the other. Even the White House doesn't do this, mainly because the positions are appointed by the President - but is there a reason we just accept this?

We still talk about "bi-partisan" compromise, but usually what comes out of these is just a worse version of any proposal. Kind of like the expression that a camel is a horse designed by committee. I've SEEN groups design things where everyone has a different idea of what works best, but ultimately they find a solution that works. In Washington, having it work comes in second to getting the win.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
and in accordance with the wishes of a minority of Americans who tend to be old white and uneducated---folks like yourself, Hijinx and the rest of the ignorati who infest this country.

Ah yes given long enough Fascists always out themselves .... ther only infestation is from you fascistrs that want to take away the rights of others

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
but is there a reason we just accept this?

Most people don't really think about it and aren't aware it's happening. I hate to keep busting on the ignorance of the populace, but...well...it's so chronic that it's the constant elephant in the room. Plus we love our elites; our kings and queens, our celebrities. Our "betters". I remember when I was impressed and intimidated by politicians.....right up until I worked on a few campaigns.

It's why Bill Clinton can be impeached and have his sordid personal life drug through the tabloids....and his poll numbers go up.