So, what makes a good Picture of a horse??

Danzig

Don't know much about horses jumpin over stuff. What makes a good picture of one? And are any of these any good, they just all seem to look alike to me. Do any of them stand out?:shrug:

These were taken at the SMILE Expo, St. Mary's County Fairgrounds today
http://johndoug.smugmug.com/gallery/3121162

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Danzig said:
Don't know much about horses jumpin over stuff. What makes a good picture of one? And are any of these any good, they just all seem to look alike to me. Do any of them stand out?:shrug:

too bad you didnt come any earlier... could have got me jumping the 18" class... but you did get a pic of me and my two friends while we were waiting to go to are class. They are really good... i LOVE this pic DSC_6071 ! really good action in it.

I

Inkpen

Not too bad...
You have two nice ones there...could do a tighter crop and tweek saturation to bring our color.
\Hard to do with such a busy background..
Better to reduce depth of field to bring attention to subject, and not get lost in cluttered background.
With such a bright day, you can reduce DOF and be ok...

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Danzig said:

Thanks for sharing your photos. Check out Christina Dale website at www.phyxiusphotos.com. She has some really nice jumping shots. Also Redline Event Photography http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/store.aspx?p=43585 has alot of good jumping photos taken at some of the local Maryland shows. This coming weekend is the MSA show at the PG Eq. Center on both Saturday and Sunday. That is a great place to practice taking jumping shots. It really is a matter of timing when you taking jumping pictures. Getting the horse as they are rounding over the fence and there knees are up over the fence. Look forward to seeing your future horse pictures. :howdy: Really like your candid shots.

Last edited:

fredsaid2

For over-fences, I like shots of the horse in profile. Like BZ said, catching the horse at the top of the arc is ideal. You could pick one fence to set up on, one with width makes for a better jumping effort, and shoot away! I agree w/ BZ, some of the candids were very cute :smile: and your timing was good on a bunch of the over-fences. I generally get pics of empty jumps, my timing...not so good. Don't bother with the shots of horses from the rear, they're never flattering. Sometimes a shot more head on can be nice but mostly people want to see the ones in profile. Good Luck!

covekat

The pics are good, I like pic 21... if you wait 2 more seconds you can get the horses in mid air.. those are my favorite over fences pics.. you are getting them at the takeoff, and sometimes that can be akward in a photo.... but great job!

bosox

good subjects

you can have the best skills...but the subjects have to be smart to get great shots.

all these kids look like they go to the same trainer. If you know any of them...

have them turn in their toes...stop gripping with their knees...
not get ahead of the horse---same line from hip to ankle over fence.
center of gravity should not be OVER the pommel over the jump
everyone needs help on release--no breaking of wrists, give the horse room to use their necks, no chicken arms and straight line from elbow to bit.
turn out should be correct no matter if it is a schooling show

leopard pony looks like a saint and cute to boot.

don't wait two seconds to get the shot...you will be getting them on the departure from the fence. If your camera has more than 2/3 shots per second...you can get the flight of the jump. A larger memory card will allow more shots of the jump. I am not an expert on the camera...but that is how I get my shots of my kids...snap snap snap...I have 2 out of 3 that I like.

fredsaid2

The question wasn't about the eq of the riders. Unless one of them posts their pic and requests a critique we should leave that part be. Even if they are meant well, comments like that can be taken as quite snippy and mean spirited.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
The question wasn't about the eq of the riders. Unless one of them posts their pic and requests a critique we should leave that part be. Even if they are meant well, comments like that can be taken as quite snippy and mean spirited.
As well as free unsolicited training advise.....you might as well get paid for it! :razz:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
bosox said:
you can have the best skills...but the subjects have to be smart to get great shots.

all these kids look like they go to the same trainer. If you know any of them...

have them turn in their toes...stop gripping with their knees...
not get ahead of the horse---same line from hip to ankle over fence.
center of gravity should not be OVER the pommel over the jump
everyone needs help on release--no breaking of wrists, give the horse room to use their necks, no chicken arms and straight line from elbow to bit.
turn out should be correct no matter if it is a schooling show

leopard pony looks like a saint and cute to boot.

don't wait two seconds to get the shot...you will be getting them on the departure from the fence. If your camera has more than 2/3 shots per second...you can get the flight of the jump. A larger memory card will allow more shots of the jump. I am not an expert on the camera...but that is how I get my shots of my kids...snap snap snap...I have 2 out of 3 that I like.
You can critique this picture, but don't charge me! :killingme

Attachments

• Donna med.jpg
    Donna med.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 87