So when does Kamala officially resign as Senator?

Grumpy

If she was comfortable with their so called election win, she would have resigned already. The Dems are holding their breath trying to get to the finish line, as you stated in another thread.

PeoplesElbow

I think anyone running for higher office should have to resign their current office first. Does your employer allow you to job hunt on the company's dime? Not usually, so we shouldn't allow it either.
While I agree they should resign, even worse I believe McCain was on the ballot for senator and president at the same time.

I'll give her a pass on this because by that logic a sitting president should never campaign for reelection.

PeoplesElbow

I think anyone running for higher office should have to resign their current office first. Does your employer allow you to job hunt on the company's dime? Not usually, so we shouldn't allow it either.
Back to this, you are not required to quit your job to look for another job. That and most employers let you apply for promotions, interview for them etc on company time.

Grumpy

Thats why I have always said a President should get one 6 year term and that's it...If he does a great job, his party has a leg up in the next election. Irritates me that they use a whole year campaigning while they are President if they are running for a 2nd term. Hell, I'd make all of Congress one 6 year term with elections every 2 years with 1/3 of Congress changing over every 2 years so as maintain continuity. Maybe that would draw people of consequence to work for the people rather than party-centric narcissists looking for a lifetime career of making themselves rich. Term limits and voter ID (I've believed this for years, well before Trump) are 2 things needed badly.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Don't they often do that right away?

She's a power hungry despot. She wants to keep the opportunity to show her disdain for the enemy if any hearings come along. She also wants the satisfaction of voting down any pro-Trump bill.

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

I am perfectly happy with the length of time set to have people elected, but what we truly need are term limits.
No one and I mean no one should be in the Senate or the House for a lifetime or 30 or more years.
No one should die of old age in office. No one should be making laws for you and I that is over the age of 75.

Rommey

I think anyone running for higher office should have to resign their current office first
Can you imagine how many wannabes from the US Senate would think twice before throwing their hat into the ring (i.e., filing with the FEC)? Look what would have happened in the past two Presidential elections alone:
2016 Republican Senators running:
Ted Cruz
Rand Paul
Marco Rubio

2020 Democrat Senators running:
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Amy Klobuchar
Kamala Harris
Cory Booker
Michael Bennet
Kirsten Gillibrand
Plus at least three members of the House

While I agree they should resign, even worse I believe McCain was on the ballot for senator and president at the same time.
Wasn't McCain. He won election for Senate in 2004 and 2010; ran for President in 2008. Biden, however was on the ballot for his Senate seat as well as Vice President in 2008.

PeoplesElbow

Can you imagine how many wannabes from the US Senate would think twice before throwing their hat into the ring (i.e., filing with the FEC)? Look what would have happened in the past two Presidential elections alone:
2016 Republican Senators running:
Ted Cruz
Rand Paul
Marco Rubio

2020 Democrat Senators running:
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Amy Klobuchar
Kamala Harris
Cory Booker
Michael Bennet
Kirsten Gillibrand
Plus at least three members of the House

Wasn't McCain. He won election for Senate in 2004 and 2010; ran for President in 2008. Biden, however was on the ballot for his Senate seat as well as Vice President in 2008.
Ah, thanks, for some reason I thought it was McCain. Pretty sure Bob Dole did it as many times as he tried.

BOP

Don't they often do that right away?
Racist.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
So when does Kamala officially resign as Senator?

At any time she would like to. I suspect it will be after January 6 (when electoral votes are reported and counted by the Congress) and on or before January 20 (inauguration day).