So who do you think will get the Dem nomination?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Oh, stop. This is a tired, tired argument.

if YOU disagree with intersectional group think you are

Racist
Misogynistic
Have Brown People Seeking a better life
Natvitist
Homophobe
Transgerner
Muslims

Please, do yourself a favor and read up on this.

--- End of line (MCP)

you do realize you are communcating with either a troll [and a poor one at that] of a blinded ideologue

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Luckily many states are no longer going to participate in the Electoral College.
No, they are still going to participate in the Electoral College.

What they ARE going to do is make render every state resident's vote irrelevant by siding with the CA's and the NY's and making a sham of the Electoral College.

You do realize that in your envisioned scenario we don't go from 3/5 of a vote to 5/5, we go to 0/5. Unless you live in CA, NY, etc. Then you get 10/5 or more.

That's progress?

--- End of line (MCP)

Salmon

No, they are still going to participate in the Electoral College.

What they ARE going to do is make render every state resident's vote irrelevant by siding with the CA's and the NY's and making a sham of the Electoral College.

You do realize that in your envisioned scenario we don't go from 3/5 of a vote to 5/5, we go to 0/5. Unless you live in CA, NY, etc. Then you get 10/5 or more.

That's progress?

--- End of line (MCP)
One person, one vote. Can’t get more equitable than that.

Yooper

One person, one vote. Can’t get more equitable than that.
Not going to debate this further. Because it's clear you don't understand that our country was set up/is set up as a representative, federal Republic of united States. Not a single mass of people. Not a national mob. And for good reason.

We are not Europe or Russia or whatever. We were established to be something quite different from them, a novus ordo seclorum. That e pluribus unum is who we are; that out of many STATES, one NATION.

There is a well thought-out reason why things are the way they are. It's about checks and balances, re: power.

So here's where we disagree: you want/crave power all to/for yourself. And I don't want to give you that absolutism. Why we fought the Revolution, btw.

P.S. I say, "our country," because I assumed (perhaps, incorrectly?) that it was yours too?

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Oh, stop. This is a tired, tired argument.

For the thousandth time, "We The People" vote as state blocs (why this nation is called "The United States of America").

Your vote counts 5/5 at the state level. (Your vote is NOT a NATIONAL vote.)

Then each of the states "vote" with the "populationally"-adjusted elector votes allocated to them as a result of the most recent census.

The system is designed to prevent states like CA and NY from dominating every election by virtue of their high population densities. It wasn't always CA & NY. Earlier, it was states like VA and MA that dominated. But the principle remains the same. This is a FINELY tuned system that is designed to protect EVERYONE's interests and assumes/understands/expects friction and dis-satisfaction. The system is designed to seek consensus and cooperation rather than the bullying mob direct democracy would result in.

Please, do yourself a favor and read up on this. Read the Constitution Convention arguments, etc. You'll find out that your concern is an ancient retread and was satisfactorily answered at the Convention. You'll also learn that the next card you're going to want to play - that the Electoral College encouraged racism and slavery (I know this b/c of your pseudo-clever use of "3/5") - is equally as tired and terribly ridiculous.

--- End of line (MCP)
You're talking way over his pay grade......just sayin'

SamSpade

We are not Europe or Russia or whatever.

Thought this was relevant, however imprecise.

After I adopted my son from Russia, we took an Alaskan cruise and of course, there's lots of international staff aboard.
I met a woman from Russia and told her all about my son, and then I told her what a lovely city Moscow is.
She smirked and said that it was beautiful because the government takes all the money from the REST of Russia to make it so.

This is why we're a republic - the tyranny of the majority. Without representative government, the big can just take from the small.

Yooper

Thought this was relevant, however imprecise.

After I adopted my son from Russia, we took an Alaskan cruise and of course, there's lots of international staff aboard.
I met a woman from Russia and told her all about my son, and then I told her what a lovely city Moscow is.
She smirked and said that it was beautiful because the government takes all the money from the REST of Russia to make it so.

This is why we're a republic - the tyranny of the majority. Without representative government, the big can just take from the small.
Because in Russia (or any other center-centric entity) the center must hold (to riff on the old poem).

As I mentioned above, rebelling against the center is why we fought the Revolution.

Great post. Thank you.

--- End of line (MCP)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think the powers-that-be are trying to get Bernie out now. Someone was harping yesterday about him not releasing HIS taxes, yet.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'm thinking they will trot out Michele Obama closer to the election. The left will, of course, love her. And, she will actually draw votes from those who are afraid that their party has gone too far left. Also, how great will it be for them to have Barack back in the Whitehouse? Plus, she's a woman....what better than that her husband was the first African American President and she will be the first female President?

Ah yes, don't we all long for those days of a scandal free presidency and administration?
:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: (in case you missed it)

Yooper

Stayin' alive, stayin' alive. Oh, Oh, Oh, oh, keepin' the thread alive. Unlike Bernie, perhaps?

--- End of line (MCP)