So who watched the Hogan presser today?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What did he say, besides that schools will be closed for the next month? I was at the vet getting Apollo's heartworm meds and couldn't watch. If I have to I'll watch the video online but I'd rather read the fine points rather than sit through his blather about how he is fighting for Marylanders and his Ts&Ps are with us.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
He did a timeline from the first case in MD and its origin then progressed up through today. Talked about how the goal of opening 6000 more hospital beds and how we are ahead of schedule with 2400 new beds.

Sagamore Distillery (MD) is brewing up 52,000 liters of hand sanitizer for Hopkins. Another MD company is producing lab equipment. No new restrictions on anything.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
He spent a large part of it going over the day-to-day history of actions/orders etc taken since the beginning. He let the Education Dept State Superintendent discuss all the things they are doing to put home schooling supports in place.
He defended his reluctance and refusal to issue "martial law like" shelter in place order.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
He spent a large part of it going over the day-to-day history of actions/orders etc taken since the beginning. He let the Education Dept State Superintendent discuss all the things they are doing to put home schooling supports in place.
He defended his reluctance and refusal to issue "martial law like" shelter in place order.
Like what? Just curious since I didn't see it.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Like what? Just curious since I didn't see it.
I wasn't paying much attention at that point (multi-tasking) because my kids are all grown. She mentioned they would be focusing a lot of their efforts on coming up with things for students with disabilities, I do recall that.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I wasn't paying much attention at that point (multi-tasking) because my kids are all grown. She mentioned they would be focusing a lot of their efforts on coming up with things for students with disabilities, I do recall that.
Ok, no big deal. I am sure something will be sent out to us parents. My youngest is sucking hard at Geometry before all this happened so if it's up to him to learn it online or worksheets, he's screwed. Husband might be able to help but I really suck at Math. :ohwell:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Ok, no big deal. I am sure something will be sent out to us parents. My youngest is sucking hard at Geometry before all this happened so if it's up to him to learn it online or worksheets, he's screwed. Husband might be able to help but I really suck at Math. :ohwell:
You would be surprised at how many FREE online resources there are. My oldest boosted and reinforced his Physics grades by using YouTube.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You would be surprised at how many FREE online resources there are. My oldest boosted and reinforced his Physics grades by using YouTube.
Tried tons of stuff online. Done the after school tutor sessions too. His brain just has never done well with Math, even when he was younger. I am hoping that next year, he can find a class that counts as a math credit but isn't necessarily math. All other classes are A's or high B's. Math has always been his weakness.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Support for homeschooling. Sardonically funny for me and my wife given the buckets full of crap we were put through by the various school districts because we homeschooled our kids.

Having had my laugh, I can add that I a) fully support homeschooling efforts and b) will rejoice in the pain it causes many of our public educators.

--- End of line (04-10-20; 9 13 17)

Scat

Support for homeschooling. Sardonically funny for me and my wife given the buckets full of crap we were put through by the various school districts because we homeschooled our kids.

Having had my laugh, I can add that I a) fully support homeschooling efforts and b) will rejoice in the pain it causes many of our public educators.

--- End of line (04-10-20; 9 13 17)
Not being wholly familiar with the issue, isnt the difficulty that b has an influence on a? One of my friends had a couple of not fulfilling careers, then went and received a teaching certificate. Went from being a staunch conservative to a BH liberal in a pretty short time frame. Merely a product of their surroundings or finding a true mission in life?

Hijinx

Not being wholly familiar with the issue, isnt the difficulty that b has an influence on a? One of my friends had a couple of not fulfilling careers, then went and received a teaching certificate. Went from being a staunch conservative to a BH liberal in a pretty short time frame. Merely a product of their surroundings or finding a true mission in life?
Peer pressure.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Immersion therapy. Most people will adapt to their surroundings.

I think Vrai gets it right. The pressure to "go lib" was overwhelming when I took up mental health counseling as a second career. Signed up to help myself and other vets (especially the PTSD aspect), but wasn't prepared for the "in for a penny, in for a pound" aspect. Meaning, I was expected to adopt the rest of the lib BS worldview that seems to accompany (actually, thoroughly permutates) these type professions (i.e., education, counseling/social work, etc.).

These folks honestly believe they're helping (and many do help), but it was amazing watching how for many helping was actually secondary to self-validation and ideological promulgation. Ironic in a profession where one of the foundation principles is that the client gets to exercise autonomy. Often seemed quite the opposite (especially for issues relating to men and masculinity).

--- End of line (MCP)