Soaking Dry Beans

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
So, I've haven't made a pot of chili from died beans for many, many years. I've never planned ahead and soaked beans overnight. It's usually a spur of the moment idea. If I remember correctly, the fast soak instructions never seemed to work out and I would end up simmering them for several hours until tender.

What advice does anyone have on this process? Right now, I have 1 cup of pintos in a 3 qt sauce pan with about 2 1/2 qts of water and a pinch of salt. They've reached the boiling point. Should I turn off the heat and let them soak or do I continue to simmer them and check periodically?

So, I've haven't made a pot of chili from died beans for many, many years. I've never planned ahead and soaked beans overnight. It's usually a spur of the moment idea. If I remember correctly, the fast soak instructions never seemed to work out and I would end up simmering them for several hours until tender.

What advice does anyone have on this process? Right now, I have 1 cup of pintos in a 3 qt sauce pan with about 2 1/2 qts of water and a pinch of salt. They've reached the boiling point. Should I turn off the heat and let them soak or do I continue to simmer them and check periodically?
If you have an Instapot, you can rehydrate in under 1/2 hour.

HemiHauler

Baking soda will cut in half the cook time on I soaked beans. Use about 1 tsp per cup of dry beans.

It also has the benefit of cutting back the amount of gas you’ll have.

rio

After they come to a boil turn off the heat, cover, and let them sit about an hour. Rinse , cover with liquid and yes, simmer for several hours, with the seasonings.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Pintos were softened by alternating between a simmer and a boil for 2 hours. They cooked down a bit in the crock pot, but I still prefer them to canned beans.