Soaring Electric Cost in Texas

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Family of boy, 11, who died in Texas files $100M suit against power companies | Fox News

The family of an 11-year-old boy, who died in a Texas home that suffered power loss during the cold snap last week, is suing power company Entergy and state grid operator Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) for more than $100 million, according to reports.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed in Jefferson County District Court, alleges that widespread blackouts contributed to the suspected hypothermia death of the boy, Cristian Pavón Pineda, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The lawsuit also alleges that ERCOT and the energy company could have prevented the death had they properly protected the energy grid against severe winter weather, or warned residents of prolonged outages. It accuses Entergy Texas and ERCOT of gross negligence.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Family of boy, 11, who died in Texas files $100M suit against power companies | Fox News

The family of an 11-year-old boy, who died in a Texas home that suffered power loss during the cold snap last week, is suing power company Entergy and state grid operator Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) for more than $100 million, according to reports.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed in Jefferson County District Court, alleges that widespread blackouts contributed to the suspected hypothermia death of the boy, Cristian Pavón Pineda, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The lawsuit also alleges that ERCOT and the energy company could have prevented the death had they properly protected the energy grid against severe winter weather, or warned residents of prolonged outages. It accuses Entergy Texas and ERCOT of gross negligence.
Well, that didn't take long...

Hijinx

I read of a person who got an electric bill for $17,000 dollars.
If I got that bill I wouldn't pay it. They could cut off my electricity and I would go to kerosene lamps first.
Or run my generator intermittently. No freaking way would i or could I pay such a bill.

Reactions: BOP

herb749

Can the media stop showing snow covered houses and people in line with blankets with my niece posting on Facebook it was 70 degrees in Austin yesterday.

herb749

I read of a person who got an electric bill for $17,000 dollars.
If I got that bill I wouldn't pay it. They could cut off my electricity and I would go to kerosene lamps first.
Or run my generator intermittently. No freaking way would i or could I pay such a bill.

In the story the issue was people who signed up for automatic billing having their bank accounts emptied.

I refuse to sign up for it outside of car insurance which is the same each month.

Hijinx

In the story the issue was people who signed up for automatic billing having their bank accounts emptied.

I refuse to sign up for it outside of car insurance which is the same each month.

Amen I would never sign up for automatic anything in my bank account except Direct deposit.
I won't even sign up for the Church to get my tithe.

• Wow
Reactions: BOP

PeoplesElbow

And here I thought I was paranoid to have an account just for digital transactions with the outside world.

I did that after seeing what social security admin did to my mom.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And here I thought I was paranoid to have an account just for digital transactions with the outside world.

I did that after seeing what social security admin did to my mom.
Not uncommon to have a credit card with limited liability just for internet transactions.

Edit: I should have said debit card. Pre-load with just enough to make your transaction.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

I'd like to know how an 11 year old dies from hypothermia cause by lack of electricity but no one else in the family does. Most parents would give blankets, etc, to the kids before taking it themselves. And because this is a Hispanic family, we know he's not an only child and there are surely other kids who went through the same thing but apparently didn't die.

I need more information about this before I'm ready to blame the electric company.

black dog

Free America
I'd like to know how an 11 year old dies from hypothermia cause by lack of electricity but no one else in the family does. Most parents would give blankets, etc, to the kids before taking it themselves. And because this is a Hispanic family, we know he's not an only child and there are surely other kids who went through the same thing but apparently didn't die.

I need more information about this before I'm ready to blame the electric company.

They must not have had enough room in the car for him to stay warm. :sshrug:

BOP

Sob stories designed to get the sheep comfortable with the Gov't™ taking over the utilities, because that'll work out well.

Didn't Shirley Jackass Lee say something to that effect some years ago?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
ERCOT will whip out the letter from the DOE that (in a roundabout way) denied the power suppliers from running their facilities up to 100% capacity, which would have sustained the power supply.

Hijinx

Not uncommon to have a credit card with limited liability just for internet transactions.

Edit: I should have said debit card. Pre-load with just enough to make your transaction.

I already have that. A Visa Gift card it costs $5 bucks to buy, You can buy it for purchase up to $500 dollars so the 5 bucks is just 1%
Not bad and it works great for gas purchases and just about everything.