Social conformity

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
This came up in my FB memories today and thought it was worth sharing. Very interesting psychological study. There are many illogical things we do under the influence of social conformity because we want to be a part of or fit in, so we just blindly follow the masses.

Toxick

Splat
I heard about a similar, less humane, version of this experiment with monkeys.

They put 5 monkeys in a cage. Then they hung a banana off the top and put in a small ladder to reach it. So naturally one of the monkeys went for it and the scientists turned on the sprinklers until the monkey climbed back down. After a few times the monkeys made the ladder/soaker connection.

The scientists took one of the monkeys out and replaced it with a new monkey.

The new guy immediately saw the bananas and started to climb for it. Before the sprinklers came on (and indeed the sprinklers were no longer needed in the experiment) the original 4 monkeys beat the ever-loving piss out of the new monkey. After a few times he got the idea.

They replaced another monkey. Same result.

Eventually all 5 of the original monkeys were gone and 5 new ones inhabited this cage. And although none of the monkeys in the cage had ever been drenched and no idea why, they would still beat the piss out of any monkey that went for the banana.

I often use this analogy when describing stupidly reacting without thinking.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It's easy to laugh at this vid, but it's a very telling social experiment.

Indeed and I find it fascinating. People not in on the reason why the others were doing this felt the societal pressure (AKA #metoo) to join in and not questioning the reason why.

I often use this analogy when describing stupidly reacting without thinking.

:yay: Same analogy, different situation. I liked this one because it shows real people and the way they felt excluded so they joined in to feel a part of whatever this was.

"Because we've always done it this way."

:lol: I used to have that sign behind my desk at work and it is so true. People fear change and it is especially difficult when trying to get them to learn new technology in my line of work.

BernieP

Resident PIA
It's easy to laugh at this vid, but it's a very telling social experiment.
Ironic, I was thinking about something along this line - literally line.
Is it me, or do people here get on line, because on formed?
Everyone was in the left lane, a long line, all driving 5 mph below the posted limit, of the 4 choices of lane to enter the base, they vast majority took to the same line (left, left).
You see it other places as well, there might be 2 or more options, but the vast majority all choose the same one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Everyone was in the left lane, a long line, all driving 5 mph below the posted limit, of the 4 choices of lane to enter the base, they vast majority took to the same line (left, left).

They do this at toll booths, too. Do they think the longer line is better because more people are in it? 😕

Tech

Indeed and I find it fascinating. People not in on the reason why the others were doing this felt the societal pressure (AKA #metoo) to join in and not questioning the reason why.

:yay: Same analogy, different situation. I liked this one because it shows real people and the way they felt excluded so they joined in to feel a part of whatever this was.

:lol: I used to have that sign behind my desk at work and it is so true. People fear change and it is especially difficult when trying to get them to learn new technology in my line of work.
Love when they come out with the new and improved way. It's the way you did it five years ago.

glhs837

Power with Control
You see it other places as well, there might be 2 or more options, but the vast majority all choose the same one.

I sometimes describe the sort of mental process I use for lane choice to people, which is a combination of traffic analysis over time mixed with current flow. I dont come in Gate One often, a couple times a month, but when I do it's from the north. Lanes 3 and 4, the southern ones, those are always longer due to entries form the south and west. Lanes 1 and 2, Ive concluded that most times, Lane 1 is the fastest. Not always, but the majority. I'll note the vehicle last in the other lane and see if it passes me before I clear the lane I'm in. Lane 2 feels better, becuase the offset means you pass standing traffic. But usually Lane 1 gets you past the guardhouse faster. Pulling up to a red light with all three lanes having one to two cars, I'll look them over and choose depending on the vehicles I see. Base model commuter car in lane 1, F-250 lane 2, BMW sedan lane 3. Easy choice unless I see grey hair in the Beemer and a HollyRock sticker on the F-250 :). Some folks say thats a lot of effort. I say it keeps me engaged with the world ouside my car and better prepared should shi% go south.

The place I see this all of the time is SB on 235 from First Colony Blvd up to Chancellor's. People get into the right lane and plod along at 10-20 mph below the speed limit, while the 2 lanes to their left are totally free of any traffic. And I've watched them thinking they might be getting in that lane to make a right turn, but they don't. Many of them just continue SB on 235 for miles.

glhs837

Power with Control
The place I see this all of the time is SB on 235 from First Colony Blvd up to Chancellor's. People get into the right lane and plod along at 10-20 mph below the speed limit, while the 2 lanes to their left are totally free of any traffic. And I've watched them thinking they might be getting in that lane to make a right turn, but they don't. Many of them just continue SB on 235 for miles.

Thats one that comes to mind. It's NEVER a good lane unless you need to turn right, and that continues all the way to Gate 2. Coming north from Gate 2, people jam into that left lane, and then get tangled up with folks entering from the right. It's what I call turbulent flow, and it's always good to avoid it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Happens everyday on 235NB at the Rte 4 light. Traffic stacks up in lanes 1 & 2. Lane 3 is usually wide open.

MiddleGround

Happens everyday on 235NB at the Rte 4 light. Traffic stacks up in lanes 1 & 2. Lane 3 is usually wide open.

Lanes 1 & 2 are stacked up BECAUSE the people in Lane 3 are pushing their way into Lane 2 after the light due to it ending. It's not rocket science..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Lanes 1 & 2 are stacked up BECAUSE the people in Lane 3 are pushing their way into Lane 2 after the light due to it ending. It's not rocket science..
You must be one of those people that doesn't let others MERGE like they are supposed to.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Yep, to them a zipper is just another word for the barn door. :)
Ya know, I hardly have trouble zippering through there, almost every day. As soon as I enter the intersection, I turn on my blinker and ease on over in the space made available. Most people in lane two know what is going on and work with you. But then again, there are other complete *******s who flat out refuse to let anyone over.

MiddleGround

I always let people in after crossing Rte4 if I am in the 2nd lane. What I find funny is seeing the people who are riding next to me in Lane 3, I slow down to let them in, and then they accelerate because they just HAVE TO get in front of one more or two more cars. Then, they squeek in with barely enough room to make it and use the shoulder to do so :lmao:

Those are the douche bags that ruin it for everyone :yay: