Social Credit

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
All because the government has declared you untrustworthy. Perhaps you defaulted on a loan, made the mistake of criticizing some government policy online or just spent too much time playing video games on the internet. All of these actions, and many more, can cause your score to plummet, forcing citizens onto the most dreaded rung on China’s deadbeat caste system, the laolai.

And the punishments are shocking. The government algorithm will go as far as to install an “embarrassing” ring tone on the phones of laolai, shaming them every time they get a call in public.

But an embarrassing ring tone, flight bans and slow trains are just the beginning of the dystopian nightmare that is now daily life in China for tens of millions of people.

A low social credit score will exclude you from well-paid jobs, make it impossible for you to get a house or a car loan or even book a hotel room. The government will slow down your internet connection, ban your children from attending private schools and even post your profile on a public blacklist for all to see.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/18/chinas-new-social-credit-system-turns-orwells-1984-into-reality/

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
If I may ...

Almost sounds exactly like our FICO scoring system we have here.
Thinking the exact same thing.

I was at Scott Adams' site the other day and he was making the point that China's "social credits" system is already here in America. I've found that he has been uncannily accurate in his predictions so I found myself really hoping he's gotten this one wrong.

Chilling, if true.

In what way?
In that your overall financial SITREP is translated into a score that carries a social value. Low FICO scores are a stigma, etc. Though limited application at this point, the dynamic is still in play (I would "argue" that among younger folks - who may be more free in trading their Credit Karma scores - the dynamic is in play at a higher rate than with us older folks).

--- End of line (MCP)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

In what way?
And adding to Yooper's post: Insurance companies check FICO scores before issuing, or tie increased premiums to your score, prospective employers check them as well~too low and you won't be hired (but they'll use another excuse as to why). Because everybody knows if you have a low FICO score that you are a scofflaw, a deadbeat, can't handle simple finances, maxed out your credit cards, have a car payment that's paid weekly at the dealership you bought it from that also installed a lowjack and GPS system just in case you "miss" a payment so they can retrieve it or shutoff the engine, do not honor contracts, etc., etc., etc.. And then there is case search, such as we have here in Maryland, adding another level. All like China, but on a different levels, scattered, just not centralized. For us, maybe worse? All the private individual information is corporate collected, controlled and sold to the highest bidder. To include our own governments.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Because everybody knows if you have a low FICO score that you are a scofflaw, a deadbeat, can't handle simple finances,

I believe the line of thinking a person in that situation is a security risk for bribery or black mail.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I believe the line of thinking a person in that situation is a security risk for bribery or black mail.
Yes, however, there is no background information, such as extenuating circumstances like medical induced charges or medical bankruptcies, that comes with a FICO score other than when actually pulled for extending credit, ie, mortgages, credit cards, new car purchases. Unless a person gives full written and signed authorization to pull a full credit report on themselves conducted by whomever, only a simple check can be performed. Anyone else doing a check sees only the score and from that score, assumptions are made. Excepting, but sometimes including, case searches where some charges could appear far worse than they actually are.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Unless a person gives full written and signed authorization to pull a full credit report on themselves conducted by whomever, only a simple check can be performed. Anyone else doing a check sees only the score and from that score, assumptions are made.

Yep true

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
China's People Monitoring Software Being Deployed In Darwin

The Chinese government's desire to ensure social control is well known with its "social credit' monitoring system the stuff of nightmares for those of us accustomed to personal freedom. But part of the software used by the Chinese government is now being exported and found a customer in the City of Darwin.

The City of Darwin has been looking at adopting smart city technology and has decided to implement facial recognition software and other monitoring solutions in order to detect anomalous behaviour or if a known criminal or someone banned from entering a specific area.

The software will then alert authorities who can intercede when someone traverses what the council is calling a "virtual fence".

It all sounds like a good idea except that it will be scanning everyone's face. And that's a rich treasure trove of data that could be used in all sorts of ways.

Initially reported by The NT News, the council’s Innovation, Growth and Development Services general manager Josh Sattler said the system will use cameras and other sensors to monitor who is moving around and what they are using their smartphones for.