Social media

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, it's not rocket surgery, and yet Zuck and Jack can't seem to grasp the concept of their own product. Even with 8 million employees and users giving them feedback. The latest is that Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, has decided that instead of following specific people, users will be following topics. For some reason he thinks that will stop the "mob behavior" and "group harassment" (that his moderators do not stay on top of, even when it's reported to them).

What is sounds like is that he wants Twitter to be another news service, without user dialog or discussion.

People bitch and cry about social media, but really it's a terrific way to keep in touch with friends and family (Facebook), and get information from public figures in their own words (Twitter). I'd be sorry if these two screwed up their product and it went away because I enjoy doing both of those things. It's pretty easy to block the harassers and abusive types - literally one click and they disappear. I have lists a mile long of people I've blocked/ignored on Twitter and Facebook (and here). My social media experience is largely positive because of this.

TCROW

You know, it's not rocket surgery, and yet Zuck and Jack can't seem to grasp the concept of their own product. Even with 8 million employees and users giving them feedback. The latest is that Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, has decided that instead of following specific people, users will be following topics. For some reason he thinks that will stop the "mob behavior" and "group harassment" (that his moderators do not stay on top of, even when it's reported to them).

What is sounds like is that he wants Twitter to be another news service, without user dialog or discussion.

People bitch and cry about social media, but really it's a terrific way to keep in touch with friends and family (Facebook), and get information from public figures in their own words (Twitter). I'd be sorry if these two screwed up their product and it went away because I enjoy doing both of those things. It's pretty easy to block the harassers and abusive types - literally one click and they disappear. I have lists a mile long of people I've blocked/ignored on Twitter and Facebook (and here). My social media experience is largely positive because of this.

Ya, when you create an echo chamber you tend to have a positive experience.

If you call what you do here “dialog” I think you’d better go look up the definition of that word and try again.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.

Me thinks Jack sees the Feds closing in. Trying to fix the "publisher or platform" problem before they do...?

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Me thinks Jack sees the Feds closing in. Trying to fix the "publisher or platform" problem before they do...?

--- End of line (MCP)

What he needs to do is stop using his social media platform to campaign for the Dems and punish Republicans. In short, stop the bias. It's that simple. If he can't do that, then he needs to be honest about his website and call it what it is. Then declare it as a campaign contribution.

Zuckerberg, same thing. Oh, and Google? You too.

They're going through all these crazy gyrations, when the solution to their problem is really very simple.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
They're going through all these crazy gyrations, when the solution to their problem is really very simple.
Yup. Agreed; is a really simple fix.

But that's only if it doesn't get in the way of what you really want to be doing. Which you summed up nicely:
What he needs to do is stop using his social media platform to campaign for the Dems and punish Republicans. In short, stop the bias. It's that simple. If he can't do that, then he needs to be honest about his website and call it what it is. Then declare it as a campaign contribution.

--- End of line (MCP)