Social Security

So, I'm coming up on m 65th bday, time to sign up for Medicare. Just went thru something with SS, may or may not apply to you.

I tried to create an SS login on their website so I could apply for Medicare. Got my logon, but when I tried to create my Medicare account, it barfed, said the info on file was different than I input. Called SS Help Desk assuming a forever wait time. Was very very surprised at a NO WAIT, got an operator right away and got my issues resolved in minutes. Impressed.

Anyway, the problem was that I had ALREADY had a Medicare account for parts a & b that I did not create, that was created for me automagically. It was created because I applied for and have been receiving RETIREMENT benefits for a few years. I didn't see this anywhere in any of their docs, but if you are receiving SS retirement benefits, a Medicare account is created and you should receive a large envelope in the mail 3 months before the Medicare activation date (1st day of your birth month). I never got the envelope which contains my new card, so wasn't aware.

So, if you are getting SS retirement benefits, look for an envelope 3 months prior to your Medicare start date. If you're not getting payments, you have to manually sign up for Medicare.

If you need to contact Social Security, it's 800-772-1213. After their phone intro, they ask how they can help you. Say "Help Desk" and it puts you right thru to a person, and the 2 times I called I got right thru and had the most pleasant people on the other end. Color me surprised.....

PeoplesElbow

Be on the lookout for a bunch of fake medicare stuff, my mom gets tons of it and they make it look like it is straight from the medicare office.

So far it's just been application forms from AARP, Prudential, CareFirst, etc.... all trying to get my $$ for an Advantage plan.

My fear is that my packet that was supposedly sent out a few months ago, that I never got, was intercepted and being used inappropriately. I'd like to believe and hope it never got sent out.

limblips

PREMO Member
So, I'm coming up on m 65th bday, time to sign up for Medicare. Just went thru something with SS, may or may not apply to you.

I tried to create an SS login on their website so I could apply for Medicare. Got my logon, but when I tried to create my Medicare account, it barfed, said the info on file was different than I input. Called SS Help Desk assuming a forever wait time. Was very very surprised at a NO WAIT, got an operator right away and got my issues resolved in minutes. Impressed.

Anyway, the problem was that I had ALREADY had a Medicare account for parts a & b that I did not create, that was created for me automagically. It was created because I applied for and have been receiving RETIREMENT benefits for a few years. I didn't see this anywhere in any of their docs, but if you are receiving SS retirement benefits, a Medicare account is created and you should receive a large envelope in the mail 3 months before the Medicare activation date (1st day of your birth month). I never got the envelope which contains my new card, so wasn't aware.

So, if you are getting SS retirement benefits, look for an envelope 3 months prior to your Medicare start date. If you're not getting payments, you have to manually sign up for Medicare.

If you need to contact Social Security, it's 800-772-1213. After their phone intro, they ask how they can help you. Say "Help Desk" and it puts you right thru to a person, and the 2 times I called I got right thru and had the most pleasant people on the other end. Color me surprised.....
Good info. Thanks!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My fear is that my packet that was supposedly sent out a few months ago, that I never got, was intercepted and being used inappropriately.

Lining the bottom of a bird cage?...fire starter for wood stove?..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'd be happy with that....
LOL!

Hey..didn't like the wall thickness left after boring the tongue adapter piece for your trailer...got some 2.5" ID x 0.25" wall tubing arriving today. Much more "beef"..

Ok, better safe than sorry. Do me a flavor, since the new tube is thicker, can you campher/fillet the edge towards the trailer so there's no sharp edge to snag?