Soft Paws

CraneTaker77

Anyone tried them before? The nail caps that go onto the cat's claws? the boyfriend and I have kitten he's about 7 months old, and he plays with his grandmothers sheitzu(sp). His grandmother is afraid that our cat charlie is going to "scratch the dogs eyes out". Which the cat accidently did get him in the eye, but they were playing.It's not like the cat is targeting the dogs eyes. So now she's on a rant about not letting the cat in the house, it stays in my boyfriends room. The cat can't be pent up in there, and declawing is DEFINATELY not an option. So I looked up the Soft Paws, and was wondering if anyone has tried them, or heard if they work. I clip his claws, but that isn't enough for Grandma.
Thanks

CraneTaker77

That's what our Charlie would probably do, he doesn't even like having a collar on. But I guess anything is worth a try. I want to try and make this work, I would hate to take him to my house, because my cat's at home aren't friendly to other cats.

CraneTaker77

Trim the cat's nails.

I do trim them once a week, sometimes more. But his grandmother seems to think that isn't enough. She's so concerned she locks the dog in the other room when she brings the cat in to feed him, so the cat can't "attack" him. I personally think the dog is dumb, if I got scratched once, I wouldn't go back to get it again.

Cowgirl

I do trim them once a week, sometimes more. But his grandmother seems to think that isn't enough. She's so concerned she locks the dog in the other room when she brings the cat in to feed him, so the cat can't "attack" him. I personally think the dog is dumb, if I got scratched once, I wouldn't go back to get it again.

Sounds like the problem is with the grandmother and not the cat. :lol: Tell her to stop babying her dog.

CraneTaker77

Sounds like the problem is with the grandmother and not the cat. :lol: Tell her to stop babying her dog.

Yea, that's what my thoughts are on the situation, but she's old and set in her ways, and it's her house, the cat just lives there. I'm not concerned at all for the dog, they are obviously playing, just like any other cat and dog household. She was going to take the dog to the vet tommrow, for a rabies shot, maybe they can talk some sense into her. lol

CraneTaker77

:declawingisyourfriend:

I got a cat, and have cat's knowing that they have claws. I know what's instore with said claws and go to the alternatives. If you do it,thats your business and your money, I just don't plain think it's right, and wouldn't do it. Not even the nerve cutting thing they do now. Cat's are supposed to have claws, if they weren't supposed to then they wouldn't have them.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I got a cat, and have cat's knowing that they have claws. I know what's instore with said claws and go to the alternatives. If you do it,thats your business and your money, I just don't plain think it's right, and wouldn't do it. Not even the nerve cutting thing they do now. Cat's are supposed to have claws, if they weren't supposed to then they wouldn't have them.
Cats are supposed to have nuts and a uterus too yet all the animal nutties want them spayed and neutered. Selective surgeries??

tes218

Cats are supposed to have nuts and a uterus too yet all the animal nutties want them spayed and neutered. Selective surgeries??

Spay/neutering surgeries prevent many types of cancers so there are health benefits to those.

gabbyreece

soft paws are great

Used soft paws on both of our cats and loved them. If you get enough glue on and hold it til it dries, they won't pull it off as easily and will stop trying when they get used to them.

CraneTaker77

Used soft paws on both of our cats and loved them. If you get enough glue on and hold it til it dries, they won't pull it off as easily and will stop trying when they get used to them.

Okay, thanks, I appreciate it. I just ordered them a few minutes ago,I hope they work

L

luckystar

If all else fails get your own place. You don't need your grandmother telling you how to raise your cat. If you can't move out, don't let her raise your cat for you. Put your foot down, take the cat to rescue, or have a friend take it. If you feel that strongly about declawing, you should feel just as strongly about your cat being able to lead a happy, non-stressful life.

kvj21075

Meow

:yeahthat:

Spay/neutering surgeries prevent many types of cancers so there are health benefits to those.

and having my cats declawed keeps them from tearing stuff up and being sent to a shelter or kicked out on the street and dieing :biggrin: its saving thier lives.

L

luckystar

and having my cats declawed keeps them from tearing stuff up and being sent to a shelter or kicked out on the street and dieing :biggrin: its saving thier lives.

If they accidentally get out, having refused to declaw them would save their lives. It's not that hard to teach them it's not okay to claw furniture, and get them a nice cat tree/scratching post/etc to use instead.

kvj21075

Meow
If they accidentally get out, having refused to declaw them would save their lives. It's not that hard to teach them it's not okay to claw furniture, and get them a nice cat tree/scratching post/etc to use instead.
no its not easy, they were climbing up my vare legs with thier claws, and literally running up the walls! they have thier back claws if they get out, and claws wont save them if a car hits them, plus they dont go further than 15 ft if i let them outside. i think about it this way. they were young, it hurt them for a day. its kinda like getting a baby circumsized :biggrin:

L

luckystar

no its not easy, they were climbing up my vare legs with thier claws, and literally running up the walls! they have thier back claws if they get out, and claws wont save them if a car hits them, plus they dont go further than 15 ft if i let them outside. i think about it this way. they were young, it hurt them for a day. its kinda like getting a baby circumsized :biggrin:

I had a pretty easy time with it. It takes patience, but I wouldn't have called it hard really. My concern with them getting out though, is that they're able to get up a tree to get away from another animal, or be able to swipe at it to scare it away if it came down to it (and of course diseases and cars, but that's beside the point). All cats are different though, so sometimes I imagine it can turn out to be the only thing left to do. I'm just glad to hear you keep your cats indoors or close to the house.

dawn

Anyone tried them before? The nail caps that go onto the cat's claws? the boyfriend and I have kitten he's about 7 months old, and he plays with his grandmothers sheitzu(sp). His grandmother is afraid that our cat charlie is going to "scratch the dogs eyes out". Which the cat accidently did get him in the eye, but they were playing.It's not like the cat is targeting the dogs eyes. So now she's on a rant about not letting the cat in the house, it stays in my boyfriends room. The cat can't be pent up in there, and declawing is DEFINATELY not an option. So I looked up the Soft Paws, and was wondering if anyone has tried them, or heard if they work. I clip his claws, but that isn't enough for Grandma.
Thanks

I had one of my cats claw trimmed back in October and they are just know growing long enough to trim again (they were so short that if I pushed on his claws, I could feel almost nothing) I got it done at the vets office and it was very reasonable, no more than 20.00.

L

luckystar

I had one of my cats claw trimmed back in October and they are just know growing long enough to trim again (they were so short that if I pushed on his claws, I could feel almost nothing) I got it done at the vets office and it was very reasonable, no more than 20.00.

Wow, that's a long time to grow out. Is your cat not much of a scratcher? That's a good price, what vet did you use?