Solar For Shed

SamSpade

Anyone ever try it? Just curious, really. Having a new shed built, and code pretty much is ok with everything so long as it doesn't look like it's being built as a habitation.

But I wouldn't mind a light switch inside, since I don't plan to put windows in it.

Again, has anyone tried doing this?

glhs837

Power with Control
Lots of how too. Harbor freight sells pretty comprehensive kits. Add one or two 12 batteries for storage and some led lights.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Lots of How-To here.
Will Prowse - YouTube

You can do better price and performance-wise than Harbor Freight, but it is a turn-key small system that would work well.

Since you only talked about lights, maybe these would work for you. They're pretty bright. I used a couple in a box trailer.

phreddyp

Lowes has led floods which use a remote solar panel to charge the battery and it works pretty well if you just need some light to see by it also has a motion detector which will come on when you enter the shed.

glhs837

Power with Control
Lowes has led floods which use a remote solar panel to charge the battery and it works pretty well if you just need some light to see by it also has a motion detector which will come on when you enter the shed.
I got one like that for inside my motorcycle shed like four years ago from HF. Like 25 bucks. Not super bright considering the shed gets very little direct sunlight, but enough to park the bike safely and exit the shed after I kill the bikes headlight.

DogWhisperer

Anyone ever try it? Just curious, really. Having a new shed built, and code pretty much is ok with everything so long as it doesn't look like it's being built as a habitation.

But I wouldn't mind a light switch inside, since I don't plan to put windows in it.

Sam, did you ever get the solar installed on your shed? Looking to do the same.

SamSpade

Sam, did you ever get the solar installed on your shed? Looking to do the same.
We are STILL WAITING on the g-d shed!

I did buy a small foldable camper solar panel but - from using it - it would appear that it would take a whole week to completely charge a small powerbank. That's how little you can squeeze out. Honestly for what I would need - BATTERIES charged from my house would be better.

Clem72

Unfortunately won't work in my current location as I have far too many trees, I did have this at my previous home. I hooked up three 100w 12v panels (overkill) to a cheapie chinese 30 amp charge controller and several old golf cart batteries I bought off a dude living in a boat (don't ask questions) and a harbor freight 2kw inverter.

I mainly used the shop on the weekends, batteries were basically always fully charged. No problem running my air compressor, lights, drill press, soldering iron, etc.

SamSpade

Well we did finally GET the shed. Since I have a narrow entrance to my back yard, it could not be placed completed. So I have a stack of materials for building, in my back yard.

Still - it had never occurred to me to do anything resembling site prep, because until a week ago, I had no idea they were ever going to deliver. Frankly, I was ready to write it all off as lost money, since I haven't the stomach for a court fight.

What have y'all used for the base? Assuming gravel - what kind, and from whom? Some of these gravel places won't deliver less than five tons.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What have y'all used for the base? Assuming gravel - what kind, and from whom? Some of these gravel places won't deliver less than five tons.
57 gravel, locks in nicely and is usually recommended for sheds. The amount needed will depend on the footprint you plan to cover. 57 runs about 1.2 tons per cubic yard and depending on the depth of your coverage (in inches) and your coverage area (in sq. ft.) you might need five tons.

As another thought, if you couldn't get a completed shed delivered can you get a dump truck back to the area or will you be using a wheel barrow to move it from where it gets dumped?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I used 5 tons to cover the ground under a 12x16 deck, but it's only about 2-3 inches deep.
You either got screwed on the amount delivered or your pad is closer to 6 inches deep. 12 X 16 = 192, 192/4 = 48, 48/27 = 1.78 X 1.5 = 2.6 tons

PeoplesElbow

Back to the shed electric topic if it's just for some occasional light use this inverter will work well. It can hook to a car battery or their 18v tool batteries, I have quite a few of the 18v batteries.

Also have one of these I use for minor off grid stuff. It can be charged with a solar panel, house 115 or your cars cig lighter. Energizer Portable Power Station 320 Watt-Hours, 2×300-Watt (Peak 600W) AC Outlets, Built-in LiFePO4 Battery, 100-Watt PD Fast Charging, Solar Generator for Outdoors Camping and Emergency Use https://a.co/d/7p2EH3m

Both are pure sine wave output. Stay away from the cheap modified sine wave inverters, some equipment doesn't like the squared off output.

black dog

Free America
Well we did finally GET the shed. Since I have a narrow entrance to my back yard, it could not be placed completed. So I have a stack of materials for building, in my back yard.

Still - it had never occurred to me to do anything resembling site prep, because until a week ago, I had no idea they were ever going to deliver. Frankly, I was ready to write it all off as lost money, since I haven't the stomach for a court fight.

Under my shipping containers I used heavy visqueen to stop moisture and 4" or so of bank run gravel. Leveled them with 10"x10" block pavers.