Solar Power

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Please accept my humble apology and this peace offering.....

:lol: Must have hit a nerve....

The battery got here and I assembled it into the charger box, but it's too crappy out to set everything up. It's sitting at 12.9VDC so it needs to be charged before I put any load on it.

Tomorrow....

The fridge has now been running 24 hours on battery alone holding 31-32 degrees. For a lead acid battery, anything 12.6 VDC and above is considered a full 100% charge. A regular lead acid battery should not drop below 50% charge to avoid damage, that's just over 12.0 VDC. An AGM deep cycle battery (which is what I am now using) can drop to 30% (11.7 VDC) without damage, although doing that often can shorten it's cycle life.

I started out at 12.7 VDC yesterday after peaking it on the solar charger. Right now it's at 12.1 VDC under load and 12.4 VDC no load. 12.4 VDC is about 80% remaining charge, 12.1 VDC is about 55% remaining.

Since the run-time load is only a few minutes at low wattage (less than 100 watts), I'm going to let it go down to a no load voltage of 12.0 VDC (about 40%) before calling it quits.

And for those that will question why I received it at 12.9 VDC, charged it, and started the test at 12.7 VDC...

When under charge, it was actually at about 14.4 VDC. After coming off charge and going into float, it was sitting at a little over 13VDC. Once it "settled" and turned on the inverter and pulled a couple of watts load, it showed 12.7 VDC. Perfectly normal for a lead acid battery.

That's what I need to add... colorful RGB LEDs flashing away. :yay: :discobaby:

Now at the 30 hour mark, 12.1 VDC under load, 12.3 VDC no load. I've got hours yet before getting close to my 12.0 VDC cutoff.

Ok, hold back the overwhelming requests!!!! I concede!!! Here ya go!!!! Now get off my back!!

:lol:

Attachments

• Solar Schematic.pdf
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 292
36 hours. 11.9 VDC under load/12.2 VDC no load. It's still in the "safe" range for this battery, but the charger is giving me a frowny face. It will probably drop below my target sometime overnight, so I just pulled the plug. I think I've proven the point. It didn't make 2x the duration of the smaller battery like I expected, but it's really kind of moot. Once I hook up the solar panel again, it will run indefinitely.

Tomorrow I'll see how well it can charge in overcast/rainy weather.

Charging at very modest 14 VDC @ .3A, or 4.2 watts from the solar panel. Not much at all, but I expect it to get a bit better as the morning progresses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Charging at very modest 14 VDC @ .3A, or 4.2 watts from the solar panel. Not much at all, but I expect it to get a bit better as the morning progresses.
Buy a good grow lamp, hook it up to the battery, and shine it on the solar panel. That will speed up charging.

Buy a good grow lamp, hook it up to the battery, and shine it on the solar panel. That will speed up charging.
That's a great idea!!

....wait....

That reminds me of a bunch of YouTube vids I've seen lately, where they claim to be able to power motors and lights with "free power".