Solar Power

:doh:

Glad I have the cheapo inverter. Working like a champ. I put some bottles of frozen water in the fridge 3 days ago, they're still frozen.

The inverter got to it's destination yesterday. 5-10 days to repair, then return shipping.

In the meantime, the cheapo inverter is doing it's job. The whole system has been running since the 17th. With the new battery, the voltage never drops below 12.6VDC overnight, which for a lead acid battery is considered still fully charged, and peaks up by noon, sun or cloudy. The frozen water bottles I put in are still rock hard frozen on the bottom of the fridge, the soda bottles one rack up are not frozen, but when you crack the seal, they crystallize. Perfect temp for soda. :lol:

Got an email, the inverter is en route back already. Hoping they include a diagnostic repair sheet or something, curious what failed. I'm thinking an internal fuse or something very easily replaced.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hoping they include a diagnostic repair sheet or something, curious what failed. I'm thinking an internal fuse or something very easily replaced.

..if not, just drop it by the shop and that SGI feller that claims to be a genu..geeni..genw...really smart feller about all things electronic could take a look at it for ya.

Then he declares it irreparable.

Then he fixes it.

Then I have the first component for my copy build of your system.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
..if not, just drop it by the shop and that SGI feller that claims to be a genu..geeni..genw...really smart feller about all things electronic could take a look at it for ya.

Then he declares it irreparable.

Then he fixes it.

So... He's Scotty?

They shipped a brand new unit, did not repair the old one.
I might have a clue as to why the first inverter failed. The fan never turned on. I just assumed it never got to the fan trigger point of 65*C, it was relatively cool to the touch. The fan turns on with the new one. I'm thinking the fan was broked and the unit burned up internally, even tho it didn't feel warm.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I might have a clue as to why the first inverter failed. The fan never turned on. I just assumed it never got to the fan trigger point of 65*C, it was relatively cool to the touch. The fan turns on with the new one. I'm thinking the fan was broked and the unit burned up internally, even tho it didn't feel warm.
...and so down goes the conversion efficiency too. Be interesting to see by how much..

...and so down goes the conversion efficiency too. Be interesting to see by how much..
Probably going down a bit, but the battery recovers so quickly in daylight that it's negligible. Decided not to even keep track at this point. It's working far better than I had ever hoped, and that's good enough for me.

No doubt now that the 1st unit failed because of a non-working fan and overheated. This one turns on often, and in the late afternoon/evening the temp in the garage is hot enough to make the fans turn on with no load. The 1st unit fans never turned on.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Probably going down a bit, but the battery recovers so quickly in daylight that it's negligible. Decided not to even keep track at this point. It's working far better than I had ever hoped, and that's good enough for me.

No doubt now that the 1st unit failed because of a non-working fan and overheated. This one turns on often, and in the late afternoon/evening the temp in the garage is hot enough to make the fans turn on with no load. The 1st unit fans never turned on.
You should mount a small windmill on the trailer.

Just to make me happy.

When I was traveling thru Arkansas a few weeks ago, I saw a number of blades on trailers. Each one seemed to be bigger than the previous, until I saw one that took up 2 trailers hooked in tandem, probably 50 feet each.

Oh...and....
139144 139145 139146 139147

So, one more experiment.
Can a solar panel make power from a full moon?

Yes. My panel generates 1.2VDC (loaded) from just the moon. It's not enough to trigger the charge circuits, but there is some power available.

And BTW, the solar system has been powering the fridge/freezer non-stop with no interruptions since mid-July. I've had bottles of water in the bottom that are frozen solid.

nutz

I received a flyer in the mail to purchase a Tesla home battery. No specs or prices included. After doing a little looking, the Powerwall comes in 7K or 10K versions starting around 6500 plus installation. I wonder if this is the power pack Solar City prewires for?

Don't know, haven't really done much looking into large scale batteries. If you're interested, this guy does a lot with Tesla products and builds his own Powerwalls.

Chris0nllyn

I received a flyer in the mail to purchase a Tesla home battery. No specs or prices included. After doing a little looking, the Powerwall comes in 7K or 10K versions starting around 6500 plus installation. I wonder if this is the power pack Solar City prewires for?

Since Solar City is a subsidiary of Tesla, it's most likely the same thing.