Soldier gets life for killing 'messy roomates

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Platero Sentenced To Life Without Parole | WSAV TV

(Hinesville, GA) A Georgia-based soldier has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 2010 slayings of two Army roommates who were shot after the suspect complained they were too messy.

The shootings happened during a deployment to Iraq.

Spc. Neftaly Platero of Kingwood, Texas, was sentenced Wednesday by a military jury at Fort Stewart after an hour of deliberating. The same jury convicted him Tuesday of premeditated murder in the killings of Pfc. Gebrah Noonan of Watertown, Conn., and Spc. John Carrillo Jr. of Stockton, Calif.

Platero's court-martial was held at Fort Stewart in southeast Georgia, where all three soldiers served in the Army's 3rd Infantry Division.

Prosecutors say Platero shot his roommates hours after he complained to superiors that their room was dirty. Defense attorneys say Army investigators ignored forensic evidence suggesting Platero wasn't the shooter.

Platero will the spend the rest of his life in jail, will be dishonorably discharged, reduced to the rank of E1, and forfeit all his pay and benefits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think this is justifiable homicide. When you're in a war zone you have enough stress and shouldn't have to put up with slobs in your room. If anyone should be in jail it should be the mothers of these two who didn't teach their sons to clean up after themselves.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

(Hinesville, GA) A Georgia-based soldier has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 2010 slayings of two Army roommates who were shot after the suspect complained they were too messy.

The shootings happened during a deployment to Iraq.

Spc. Neftaly Platero of Kingwood, Texas, was sentenced Wednesday by a military jury at Fort Stewart after an hour of deliberating. The same jury convicted him Tuesday of premeditated murder in the killings of Pfc. Gebrah Noonan of Watertown, Conn., and Spc. John Carrillo Jr. of Stockton, Calif.

Platero's court-martial was held at Fort Stewart in southeast Georgia, where all three soldiers served in the Army's 3rd Infantry Division.

Prosecutors say Platero shot his roommates hours after he complained to superiors that their room was dirty. Defense attorneys say Army investigators ignored forensic evidence suggesting Platero wasn't the shooter.

Platero will the spend the rest of his life in jail, will be dishonorably discharged, reduced to the rank of E1, and forfeit all his pay and benefits.

What is the likely national origin of the name Neftaly Platero?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I think this is justifiable homicide. When you're in a war zone you have enough stress and shouldn't have to put up with slobs in your room. If anyone should be in jail it should be the mothers of these two who didn't teach their sons to clean up after themselves.

Sorry, but not funny at all. IMO, not even a sarcasm facey would help your post.

Try 'splaining your post to the families, parents, etc., of the two murdered soldiers by one of their own they trusted with their lives.....

Don't think you could, ever.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry, but not funny at all. IMO, not even a sarcasm facey would help your post.

Try 'splaining your post to the families, parents, etc., of the two murdered soldiers by one of their own they trusted with their lives.....

Don't think you could, ever.

Ah, but I am only sort of joking. When you are in a stress situation with other people, it is important to be respectful and generate good will toward those with whom you are living in close quarters. It may have changed, and it may be different in a war zone, but there used to be regulations on how a soldier keeps his barracks room. That is not only for discipline, but a show of respect and readiness.

Did they deserve to die? Of course not. But a little respect for their bunkmate might have prevented this.

Oh, and feel free to pick your wedgie whenever you get time.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Ah, but I am only sort of joking. When you are in a stress situation with other people, it is important to be respectful and generate good will toward those with whom you are living in close quarters. It may have changed, and it may be different in a war zone, but there used to be regulations on how a soldier keeps his barracks room. That is not only for discipline, but a show of respect and readiness.

Did they deserve to die? Of course not. But a little respect for their bunkmate might have prevented this.

Oh, and feel free to pick your wedgie whenever you get time.

Once you pull the wedgie out of your mouth, then it might clear things up a little.

You have no idea what this murderer's "bunkmates" did with their collective room.

The evidence was presented in the courtroom, not in your imagination.

You are the loser in this argument. But at least you are still breathing.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You have no idea what this murderer's "bunkmates" did with their collective room.

The evidence was presented in the courtroom, not in your imagination.

Read. I did not make that up.

Prosecutors say Platero shot his roommates hours after he complained to superiors that their room was dirty.

The alleged motive had to do with the cleanliness of the room the four soldiers shared during a 2010 deployment to Iraq.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Read. I did not make that up.

I read numerous articles, wedgiebreath. You still have to apologize to the families of those murdered by the convicted, and sentenced, ex-soldier.

"The alleged motive had to do with the cleanliness of the room the four soldiers shared during a 2010 deployment to Iraq.

Prior to sentencing Platero's two sisters took the stand. They described him as a caring and easy going person. Both sisters also expressed their sorrow to the families their brother murdered.

In a written statement read out loud by his attorney Platero had a message to the families "I've seen your pain and while my words will not comfort you I will continue to pray for you. "

The families of Noonan and Carillo say they are pleased with sentence that Platero received but it does not ease the pain of losing their loved one.

"My greatest fear was that my son and these men's lives would not be honored by some watered down decision," said William Noonan, Gebrah Noonan's father.
"

If you have a heart, you will.

Your callousness and attempt to make fun of a judicial sentence of a double murderer, in which you have no idea of the evidence, is despicable.

Micki

He's in the Army; that makes him an American. His photo indicates he is of Hispanic descent.

You don't have to be an American citizen to join the American Military, all you need is a "green card". But I believe there is an age limit - 30 or 35 I think.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You don't have to be an American citizen to join the American Military, all you need is a "green card". But I believe there is an age limit - 30 or 35 I think.

Well I'll be. Learned something :yay:

Can You Join the Military as a Non-U.S. Citizen?
Non-citizens must be permanently and legally living in the U.S. in order to enlist in the military. You must be a "legal permanent immigrant," with permission to work in the U.S. Tourist and Student Visas aren’t acceptable for enlistment in the U.S. military. A prospective service member must have a valid I–551 (Permanent Residence Card).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Keep learning. Always a good thing.

Now just fess up to the families of the murdered you insulted, and we can move on.

Up to you.

Okay.

I apologize for my rude joke and any hurt it may have caused the family members of these murdered soldiers. I hope they can forgive me and get past any trauma I may have thoughtlessly caused them.

How's that?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Okay.

I apologize for my rude joke and any hurt it may have caused the family members of these murdered soldiers. I hope they can forgive me and get past any trauma I may have thoughtlessly caused them.

How's that?

Thank you.

My son has been deployed over there twice, and although he is a junior officer (who usually don't have multiple roommates), they are responsible for those enlisted members under them.

The stress they are under should not have to be compounded by worrying about one of their own going off and murdering other fellow soldiers and sailors and airmen.

I would hope that no one would ever joke about or poke fun at any death of a serviceman or woman in any of these war zones.

Sorry that I lost my cool yesterday on this thread.

I apologize to all.

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Okay.

How's that?
Do you really think they will read this thread? :lmao:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Thank you.

My son has been deployed over there twice, and although he is a junior officer (who usually don't have multiple roommates), they are responsible for those enlisted members under them.

The stress they are under should not have to be compounded by worrying about one of their own going off and murdering other fellow soldiers and sailors and airmen.

I would hope that no one would ever joke about or poke fun at any death of a serviceman or woman in any of these war zones.

Sorry that I lost my cool yesterday on this thread.

I apologize to all.

I think we all agonize over our young men and women being sent over there to possibly die or suffer from some form of debilitating injury. I would bet that just about everyone in this forum has a family member – or even themselves – that is directly affected by this stupid war in one way or another. So, it’s pretty personal for all of us. But for some of us, humor is what helps us cope with something that is otherwise a very personally terrible situation. Expressing humor doesn't mean we take it less seriously.

:buddies: