Solo Piano

BOP

Classical, new age, whatever comes up.

I listened to Rachmaninoff growing up, but never was really a fan. I have a deeper appreciation for this type of music as I get older.

So this is solo piano, from Concerto No. 4.

You almost need to hear the full orchestration as a comparison. Piano Concerto No. 4, and I think it's in G minor, Op. 40. This one has been revised 2 or 3 times, so I don't know which version it is. I would assume it's 1941.

Last edited:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[video=youtube;Z4tRfrLbCCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4tRfrLbCCM&list=PL4ED8F0DDB577D068[/video]

BOP

The late Dax Johnson, "Rain." I love the piano anyway, but I really enjoy the sound of his playing. Sad that he's no longer with us.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Victor Borge was amazing. Classically trained but best known for his comedy routines like this:

[video=youtube;-562rqZ7sKI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-562rqZ7sKI[/video]

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Another of Victor Borge performing "Clair De Lune." Just wonderful. :)

[video=youtube;_evCoEVaTQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_evCoEVaTQE[/video]

BOP

I discovered this guy a couple of years ago or so. Entirely self-taught.

Tommy Johnson, Boogie Woogie Piano.

BOP

This isn't really solo piano, though it could have been done with just the piano. Silvan Zigg on piano, and then world champions William and Maeva (2008 and 2009), and Nicolas and Melanie, former French champions. The former are in the green shirt and sweater and the plaid skirt in the first segment. The move they did at 1:44 is, or was one of their signature moves, and for many years, they were the team to beat, anywhere in the world where they competed. Yeah, I know, I know way too much about boogie woogie dancing, but it is so fun to watch and to remember when i was young and limber.

Oh, and yes, they did switch partners near the end of the first segment.

BOP

This is Josh, showcasing his "other" talent. Josh is a formerly enlisted US Marine (field artillery), IT guy, and a UCLA grad with a degree in music. Oh, and he's a pretty good cook, too.

I'll try to get him to upload more music one of these days.

BOP

I grew up listening to Victor Borge, but I never really appreciated his genius until I reached (alleged) adulthood. Amazing what a little experience, knowledge, and exposure to things such as the arts will do for you.

By all accounts, he was a gifted composer, conductor, musician. His talent made his comedy that much funnier. There are skits he's done that I've watched any number of times over the years, and yet I still bust a gut laughing at them. He has a way of both drawing his audience in, and of creating anticipatory tension...what in the world is Borge going to do or say next!?

This is not one of those times. The following is one of those rare videos in which he merely plays (beautifully, I might add). In fact, it's the only video I've ever seen in which he just plays the piano. I'm not sure what group accompanies him, so it's not a true solo performance, but it's just so amazing that I had to share.

BOP

I was never a Marx Brothers fan. Collectively, they were the Jerry Seinfield of their day.

Chico and Harpo Marx play a duet on the piano.

Chico Marx playing solo.

Last edited: