Solomons Island

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Read an article yesterday about the shape of the marina in SOlomons Island.. how critical the level of oxygen was in the water surrounding the island.. well, I went for my nightly walk around the island and they weren't kidding. HUNDREDS of dead crabs floating along the entire length of the boardwalk.. from Bunkies Boat Rentals to Solomons Pier restaurant.. Ya think there might be a serious problem here? And what can we do about it?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by itsbob
Read an article yesterday about the shape of the marina in SOlomons Island.. how critical the level of oxygen was in the water surrounding the island.. well, I went for my nightly walk around the island and they weren't kidding. HUNDREDS of dead crabs floating along the entire length of the boardwalk.. from Bunkies Boat Rentals to Solomons Pier restaurant.. Ya think there might be a serious problem here? And what can we do about it?

I think it's a sign of carbon dioxide saturation in the water, brought on by the overconsumption of fossil fuels. I think we can expect an abrupt climate change any day now. :bubble:

Glad I'm in Texas... I should be safe for awhile. :wink:

BuddyLee

Football addict

Doesn't the Island have a naturalist center right past the Tiki Bar?:confused:

I've been there once before to drop off a turtle with a hook in its mouth so that it could be saved when I worked as a naturalist/historian down at Point Lookout State Park (PLO). Cant they do anything?:confused:

C

cmdrfunk

I'm all for not having crabs.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Re: Re: Solomons Island

Originally posted by BuddyLee
Doesn't the Island have a naturalist center right past the Tiki Bar?:confused:

I've been there once before to drop off a turtle with a hook in its mouth so that it could be saved when I worked as a naturalist/historian down at Point Lookout State Park (PLO). Cant they do anything?:confused:
The place that you're referring to is the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, part of the University of Maryland complex. My sister works there as a Marine Biologist (well, she really isn't a MB, but I just had a lapse into a Seinfeld/George moment). It's a great operation, and they track all kinds of measurements in the Bay and the River, (i.e. crab eggs, density of bay grasses, numbers of fish, etc.). They have a visitor's center if you'd like more info.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Re: Re: Re: Solomons Island

Originally posted by BadGirl
The place that you're referring to is the Chesapeake Biological Laboratory, part of the University of Maryland complex. My sister works there as a Marine Biologist (well, she really isn't a MB, but I just had a lapse into a Seinfeld/George moment). It's a great operation, and they track all kinds of measurements in the Bay and the River, (i.e. crab eggs, density of bay grasses, numbers of fish, etc.). They have a visitor's center if you'd like more info.

Must not be too bad.. caught some off of our pier last week-end..looked really bad the day I was on the boardwalk..