Solomons Navy Recreation Center Review

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's pretty nice here. Clean and well kept; there is supposedly internet access but the signal is low and when we tried to sign up it kept kicking us to a "page not found", so bring your own if you need to be plugged in.

It's right on the Patuxent River and many of the campsites have a river view. There are a bunch of recreation amenities, like kayak rental, an ENORMOUS swimming pool set up (3 actual pools, two water slides, snack bar, etc), mini golf and a driving range. There are tennis courts that seriously need to be resurfaced and as such are unusable, but the basketball court looks like and so does the ball field. There used to be a gym but it appears they've shut it down for good.

The layout is highly walk and bicycle friendly. (Unless you're drunk, but that's another story :jet: )

They have an entertainment pavilion and activities most evenings in season - good ones, like bands with dancing, and a "swim-in movie" where they show a movie poolside and you can float while watching. Tons of kid activities, but adults will have a good time too.

The bath houses aren't terribly private but they're clean and comfortable and quite large; each bath house has several showers with a large changing area, then a row of sinks, and a bunch of toilet stalls around the corner.

For those with no RV or tent, they have some really nice house rentals - from yurts to little bungalows to big multi-bedroom homes right on the water.

There are two main beaches that are both clean and have picnic tables available.

They got some negative reviews on one of the Military Campgrounds website, but I haven't experienced the things they bitched about and we've spent many weekends over the last couple years, plus we've been here two weeks straight so far. The complaints were about overgrown trees and grass, and trash laying around - I haven't seen either of those things.

Most people would be very happy here.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
It's pretty nice here. Clean and well kept; there is supposedly internet access but the signal is low and when we tried to sign up it kept kicking us to a "page not found", so bring your own if you need to be plugged in.

It's right on the Patuxent River and many of the campsites have a river view. There are a bunch of recreation amenities, like kayak rental, an ENORMOUS swimming pool set up (3 actual pools, two water slides, snack bar, etc), mini golf and a driving range. There are tennis courts that seriously need to be resurfaced and as such are unusable, but the basketball court looks like and so does the ball field. There used to be a gym but it appears they've shut it down for good.

The layout is highly walk and bicycle friendly. (Unless you're drunk, but that's another story :jet: )

They have an entertainment pavilion and activities most evenings in season - good ones, like bands with dancing, and a "swim-in movie" where they show a movie poolside and you can float while watching. Tons of kid activities, but adults will have a good time too.

The bath houses aren't terribly private but they're clean and comfortable and quite large; each bath house has several showers with a large changing area, then a row of sinks, and a bunch of toilet stalls around the corner.

For those with no RV or tent, they have some really nice house rentals - from yurts to little bungalows to big multi-bedroom homes right on the water.

There are two main beaches that are both clean and have picnic tables available.

They got some negative reviews on one of the Military Campgrounds website, but I haven't experienced the things they bitched about and we've spent many weekends over the last couple years, plus we've been here two weeks straight so far. The complaints were about overgrown trees and grass, and trash laying around - I haven't seen either of those things.

Most people would be very happy here.

Used to own a town house next door and couldn't believe my.kids never snuck in up the beach... Qe were allowed to be there.anyways but it would have been a very short walk down the beach

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

Yup. Cousin (same age as I) rents one of those, with a couple of her friends, every year for a week and I visit when she's having a margarita party or the like. I've always been impressed with the Center.

acommondisaster

We used to go there when the kids were little and my E6 paycheck wouldn't stretch into too much more of a vacation than that. The kids loved it. Some times we used the houses, sometimes we borrowed a tent. Good times.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
way way back when, Dad was stationed at Andrews, we'd come down to rec center 1971-1973, bunch of the guys and wifes/families, camp in pop ups. Had great times, they'd show movies on sheets, ski, swim, fish etc etc, I have been here since 1980 and still love the place....

glhs837

Power with Control
Was over there yesterday having a snack with the wife and son at the pavilion by the pools. Where did all the campers go? Looked like about 70% of the spots are empty, don' recall ever seeing it so quiet. The waterfronts are hard to get into unless you are active duty, they way the reservation system is set up, those are almost always reserved by active folks, but the ones just across the street from them are a lot easier.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Was over there yesterday having a snack with the wife and son at the pavilion by the pools. Where did all the campers go? Looked like about 70% of the spots are empty, don' recall ever seeing it so quiet. The waterfronts are hard to get into unless you are active duty, they way the reservation system is set up, those are almost always reserved by active folks, but the ones just across the street from them are a lot easier.

I have the bathhouse pretty much to myself, which doesn't bother me one bit. We had neighbors over Easter weekend, but now we could throw a wild party and not bother anyone.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

The 'management' came up with a new rule. From what I was told they held a briefing a few months back. The goal is to align NRCS with other DOD type facilities. That means that campers can only stay on 1 spot for 3 consecutive months. Then they will have to move to a new spot. After 9 months then the camper will have to vacate for 30 days then a new 9 month term can begin. In some way this is to make it fair. The moving every 3 months is to prevent people from collecting a lot of junk on their lots. If you have to haul it to a new site every 3 months there is less of a chance of becoming a hoarder. The easier solution would be to send a nasty gram to any offenders then threaten to toss them out if they don't fix their violation. I guess 1 person's clutter is another person's treasure.

There are so many spots in there the only time it's ever full is the 4th of July weekend. It's too bad they ran a bunch of folks off. I know some people kept a camper over here but only used it on the weekends. They figured paying for the full year was worth the cost in not having to connect and disconnect all the time. Now that revenue is lost.

I hope this place can survive another 15 - 20 years. Places like this are the first things to get shuttered when it comes time to belt tightening. It's such a scenic property right on the river. Sunsets are spectacular. There is always a nice breeze coming in off the river. Everyone here seems to enjoy themselves. :fingerscrossed:

glhs837

Power with Control
Ah, that aligns perfectly with my timeline then. Have only been there two times in the last three months, so this would have been the first time since that went into effect. There were tons of "multiyear" campers, folks would do entire tours as geographical bachelors over there, retired folks who would just keep the sites over the winter to make sure they had them the next summer. And you are right, it showed in the amount of crap around the sites.

I agree, it is a gorgeous place.