SOMD Death Rate

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Disclaimer --> I have not done my homework. Discussion Point only.

In the 16 years I've been here it just 'seems' to me that more people die here than normal.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
Makes me think. So many cancer deaths, like I said, haven't done my homework yet. It was something that I was wondering.

SEABREEZE 1957

My 401K is now a 201K
The drug epidemic here is very real. Not to dismiss that in any way, but really what I was wondering about is the death rate in general. I know so many people who were in pretty good health, came here & died. Most were between the age of 50-65 (Too young to die IMHO)

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Is it that the per capita deaths are higher than the norm, or is it simply it's a small county and we hear and might even know a lot of the deceased?

Fact, St. Mary's led the state in per capita deaths from heroine / drug overdoes.

Goldenhawk

Look up "confirmation bias" for an interesting read.

Aside from that, according to http://dhmh.maryland.gov/vsa/Documents/14annual_revised.pdf

- The overall age-adjusted death rate in St Marys is quite normal.

- For flu and pneumonia, it's significantly below average (which tends to hit old people hardest)

- For Alzheimer's', death rates in St Marys are well above average - which is also old-biased.

- Life expectancy for St Marys is right on par with the rest of the state

- 752 people died in St Marys in 2014.

... There's plenty more there, but I don't see anything alarming. So basically, you can relax.

officeguy

It's because we don't have a Whole Foods ;-) I think we need a social media campaign to get one.

But seriously, the crap food together with a culture that doesn't value exercise probably cause more mortality than avoidable cancer, jetfuel or agent orange.

In folks <35, it's mostly heroin and ####ty drivers.

3CATSAILOR

Where do I begin... How about the Super Fund clean up sites, the buried landfills that are not lined, the Navy munitions that wash up on our shores that have been buried for years... (what might be leaking from the bombs and whatever else the Navy has buried over the years?), the who knows what that is put on our farms every year. I could go on. But, you have the point. Don't blame the high tension lines through the Cracker Barrel parking lot and other areas. They are fairly new. And yes, I suspect some drugs can cause cancer if taken for a period of time.

Look in to the buried stuff around here. You wouldn't believe it. How much goes in to our water supply. When is the last time you had your tap water tested for various known carcinogens? I suspect hardly never.

officeguy

Don't worry about the powerline in the cracker barrel parking lot. Worry about the food you are going to get at cracker barrel.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Look up "confirmation bias" for an interesting read.

Aside from that, according to http://dhmh.maryland.gov/vsa/Documents/14annual_revised.pdf

- The overall age-adjusted death rate in St Marys is quite normal.

- For flu and pneumonia, it's significantly below average (which tends to hit old people hardest)

- For Alzheimer's', death rates in St Marys are well above average - which is also old-biased.

- Life expectancy for St Marys is right on par with the rest of the state

- 752 people died in St Marys in 2014.

... There's plenty more there, but I don't see anything alarming. So basically, you can relax.

As expected.