Somd News poll: Open or Keep schools locked down? VOTE now

Hessian

Poll is open til Thursday am. Right now running 36 %open...64%closed. (7:40 pm)

You voice your mind on this...

PeoplesElbow

The future of college is online, highschool most likely too. It can save so much money not having to pay for buildings, utilities, etc having a much smaller staff etc.

I would have loved to complete highschool in less time and moves onto college.

Hessian

The future of college is online, highschool most likely too. It can save so much money not having to pay for buildings, utilities, etc having a much smaller staff etc.

Correct again! Educational facilities that learn how to maximize content, participation, performance...will triumph (if the free market is allowed to operate). BUT, Unions are likely to screw up that utopian dream. Pandora has opened her little box of horrors. Only the savvy will figure out how to adapt. The rest want toaster pastries brought to their war command post in the basement.

TPD

the poor dad

If online learning is gonna save taxpayers money then why has St Marys County Commissioners given millions more to the school board over the last 3 months? And did I just read that the commissioners are also giving money to our beloved cable company to expand internet access?

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/...-learning-as-covid_19-pandemic-continues.html

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It can save so much money not having to pay for buildings, utilities, etc having a much smaller staff etc.

what have you been smoking ..

any savings will be absorbed by the school system administration over head and IT Infrastructure upgrades

there are alot of rural areas this will not work ....... not everyone has access to Broadband Internet

PeoplesElbow

If online learning is gonna save taxpayers money then why has St Marys County Commissioners given millions more to the school board over the last 3 months? And did I just read that the commissioners are also giving money to our beloved cable company to expand internet access?

https://www.thebaynet.com/articles/...-learning-as-covid_19-pandemic-continues.html
I must have missed where they sold all the property and quit paying for so many teachers, utilities, janitors etc, my bad.

PeoplesElbow

there are alot of rural areas this will not work ....... not everyone has access to Broadband Internet
As far as not everyone has broadband that number is small, they can have small facilities for those students as well as special ed etc. We are still talking a small number of students here.

Oh yea I forgot transportation costs in the savings.

PeoplesElbow

Why would they be paying janitors if nobody is in the school? They shouldn't be paying utilities, either.
I've been paying utilities for a house that hasn't had anyone in it for 5 months, they are low but I'm still paying them. Guarantee the janitors lunch ladies etc are still getting their checks.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've been paying utilities for a house that hasn't had anyone in it for 5 months, they are low but I'm still paying them. Guarantee the janitors lunch ladies etc are still getting their checks.

Yeah, you're probably right. So on behalf of lunch ladies and janitors - the REAL heroes of the school system - I hope they keep those kids home forever.

BernieP

Resident PIA

and we will be come an even more dysfunctional society without the ability to interact with others.
Some people are just not going to learn in a remote setting. I don't think you are as focused as when you are in a classroom.
It's to easy to get distracted by everyday things - the door bell, the dog barking. You can't control the environment in the home.
I don't think people currently teleworking are fully engaged, not with kids, dogs, etc. running around.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I don't want to see any exemptions for sports or any other activities either.
You all vote for home schooling, then suck on it.
If it's so damn risky to send them to school, then keep them inside and off the streets and playgrounds and pools.
See to many damn kids, not wearing masks just running around.

PeoplesElbow

and we will be come an even more dysfunctional society without the ability to interact with others.
Some people are just not going to learn in a remote setting. I don't think you are as focused as when you are in a classroom.
It's to easy to get distracted by everyday things - the door bell, the dog barking. You can't control the environment in the home.
I don't think people currently teleworking are fully engaged, not with kids, dogs, etc. running around.
I dont know how old you are but I remember a ton of distractions in the classroom when I was in highschool. Passing notes, erections, wondering if Suzie liked me, thinking about this weeks football game, checking out everyone's clothes and hair

You are right about the teleworkers, personally I got a ton more done because I didnt have to mother so many people.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What's interesting is the CDC has stated kids need to go back to school, that the risk is low. Other medical professionals have stated the same thing. That it's actually a bigger health risk to isolate them at home.

They only like science the TV has told them to like.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I dont know how old you are but I remember a ton of distractions in the classroom when I was in highschool. Passing notes, erections, wondering if Suzie liked me, thinking about this weeks football game, checking out everyone's clothes and hair
and you always had that teacher to remind you to stop that chit and get back in the game.
I also remember doing homework in my bedroom - NOT a whole lot of it got done.

PeoplesElbow

Another benefit of my idea of taking HS online right now the buildings can be used to space out the gradeschool and middle school kids.