somd well water..

boomer

Help this city-born critter, please. Water comes from a well. Inside the washing machine & dishwasher is turning sort of a pale brick color. White cloths & linens are developing a dingy, non-clean cast. I'm told it's rust in the water.

Also developing hard crusts at water line in toilet bowls and around the edges of sink drains. Been told this is lime, and/or calcium and that a water treatment system will only get clogged with it.

So, what am I supposed to do? Everything in the house that's water related it looking VERY diseased!!

tha boom

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Is it a dug well or drilled (artesian).....Sometimes a dug well (big round cement thing with a top on it) will contain iron and rust....Hate to be the one to tell you this, but if it is a dug well, it may be old and you may need to call a well driller and put in an artesian well....Iron and rust in your well will discolor clothes and bathroom fixtures.....Don't have a new well drilled on my say-so though....Get some more information....New wells are costly....
"Well", I hope that was helpful...

K

Kain99

Your washing machine gets stained because you have either iron or manganese in you water supply.

The solution is to put on a filtration system for iron removal. A water softener or an iron master can be used. With a softener you get rid of the iron and you get soft water. The iron master ariates the water causing the iron to oxidize and it is caught by a filter and discharged periodically.

Don't know about the crusts at the water line....

willie

Originally posted by Kain99
Your washing machine gets stained because you have either iron or manganese in you water supply.

The solution is to put on a filtration system for iron removal. A water softener or an iron master can be used. With a softener you get rid of the iron and you get soft water. The iron master ariates the water causing the iron to oxidize and it is caught by a filter and discharged periodically.

Don't know about the crusts at the water line....
Kain's solution should fix the water line crust problem also. 20 years ago the Aquia aquifer was sparkling clean and never needed the Clorox treatment but with the population explosion it's turned to more minerals and less sparkle.

Vince

Sounds like you have a shallow well. Some of the older homes in Southern Maryland have shallow wells only 100 ft. deep or so. My well I had taken down to 400 and some ft. I saw my neighbor during a drought run out of water with that shallow well. Don't have the problem with washer, etc., but the toilets get the hard water stain. Just gotta clean them more often and I've even replaced them.

boomer

Thanks, folks, for the input. To answer a couple of questions about my uuugy water situation...
--The well is artisian. Don't know how deep it is, but the pump is down 160 feet. I thought THAT was deep till I read about the 400 foot one! Pump is less than 2 years old.
--Not renting, we now own the place.

Racingwolf

Originally posted by boomer
Thanks, folks, for the input. To answer a couple of questions about my uuugy water situation...
--The well is artisian. Don't know how deep it is, but the pump is down 160 feet. I thought THAT was deep till I read about the 400 foot one! Pump is less than 2 years old.
--Not renting, we now own the place.

I had the same problem with my well, and had to put a filter on my house. It is actually pretty inexpensive, i bought a filter from Lowes for about 35 dollars and the refills are about 10 dollars each. If you know someone who has some plumbing experience it is an easy fix. Hopefully your well will not do what mine eventually did, the casing cracked and I had to get a whole new well drilled.

RodRugg

My uncle Stanley rented this place near Pomonkey and that well was a real heck hole. It was full of rats and spiders and Harper's lice. He used to drink that water by the gallon and he got real sick. Some guy came out to look at it and said that well was a real disaster because it was only 8 feet deep. They dug it up and found a dead horse and some old farm equipment. The doctor said that water wasn't fit for a toilet and he said my uncle was lucky to be alive. Anyways, he moved out right after he got out of the coma. Now he has a well so deep you can throw a bottle in it and never hear it hit the bottom.

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by RodRugg
My uncle Stanley rented this place near Pomonkey and that well was a real heck hole. It was full of rats and spiders and Harper's lice. He used to drink that water by the gallon and he got real sick. Some guy came out to look at it and said that well was a real disaster because it was only 8 feet deep. They dug it up and found a dead horse and some old farm equipment. The doctor said that water wasn't fit for a toilet and he said my uncle was lucky to be alive. Anyways, he moved out right after he got out of the coma. Now he has a well so deep you can throw a bottle in it and never hear it hit the bottom.
:clap: