SOMDracing Imposters

LightRoasted

If I may ...
Is anyone else getting the C8 corvette? That thing is gona be a beast.
What's the point? Unlike acquiring say a latest and greatest rifle chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum that can actually be fully used to achieve its stated function and attributes. What is the purpose of having such a car if it can't be utilized with its purported specifications? I'd rather spend my money on a beater and save the rest to acquire things that have purpose and utility.

glhs837

Power with Control
What's the point? Unlike acquiring say a latest and greatest rifle chambered in 338 Lapua Magnum that can actually be fully used to achieve its stated function and attributes. What is the purpose of having such a car if it can't be utilized with its purported specifications? I'd rather spend my money on a beater and save the rest to acquire things that have purpose and utility.

Even if you cant use 10/10ths of what it can do, still enjoyable to drive it around. I've owned two cars capable of getting to well over 160mph, and never took them that fast of course, it was still awesome hitting max power on say the ramp from Rt1 onto the beltway heading home from Reagan. Would I spend 100K on one? Nah, but I understand those who do. Some folks think a motorcycle you cant use like a car and only 70% of the year is a waste, but of course, opinions vary.

Grumpy

I get better thrills from a car than 338 Lapua Magnum..Different strokes, different folks. :)

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Even if you cant use 10/10ths of what it can do, still enjoyable to drive it around. I've owned two cars capable of getting to well over 160mph, and never took them that fast of course, it was still awesome hitting max power on say the ramp from Rt1 onto the beltway heading home from Reagan. Would I spend 100K on one? Nah, but I understand those who do. Some folks think a motorcycle you cant use like a car and only 70% of the year is a waste, but of course, opinions vary.
Alrighty then. (Not directed specifically towards your post but for the class). I understand. I get it. If one is getting up in years, has the money, has always wanted the experience of driving/owning one, and it's a bucket list item, sure, why not. Better yet being older, taking out a 7-10 year loan on the thing and dying say two to three years into paying it off and leaving the bank to deal with it. Or, even when younger, and having more money than knowing with to do with, yeah, why not, as long as other necessary adult responsibilities in one's life are taken care of. But to me, it's just still a very expensive A to B vehicle with no daily practicality. In addition to what must be a humongous monthly insurance payment.

Now, if some wealthy enthusiast were to develop a proper 10 - 20 mile or so very flat and extremely smoothed out raceway, somewhere, where these type of cars could really stretch their legs, charging these car owners a fee for the chance to really see and feel their car's maximum capabilities in a relatively safe setting, when ever they want to, hell, I might even get one. But until then, it's Bud's Creek with the "ole beater.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Now, if some wealthy enthusiast were to develop a proper 10 - 20 mile or so very flat and extremely smoothed out raceway, somewhere, where these type of cars could really stretch their legs, charging these car owners a fee for the chance to really see and feel their car's maximum capabilities....
These tracks already exist, and the cost to use them is not out of the reach of the average person.

glhs837

Power with Control
For your consideration ...

Alrighty then. (Not directed specifically towards your post but for the class). I understand. I get it. If one is getting up in years, has the money, has always wanted the experience of driving/owning one, and it's a bucket list item, sure, why not. Better yet being older, taking out a 7-10 year loan on the thing and dying say two to three years into paying it off and leaving the bank to deal with it. Or, even when younger, and having more money than knowing with to do with, yeah, why not, as long as other necessary adult responsibilities in one's life are taken care of. But to me, it's just still a very expensive A to B vehicle with no daily practicality. In addition to what must be a humongous monthly insurance payment.

Now, if some wealthy enthusiast were to develop a proper 10 - 20 mile or so very flat and extremely smoothed out raceway, somewhere, where these type of cars could really stretch their legs, charging these car owners a fee for the chance to really see and feel their car's maximum capabilities in a relatively safe setting, when ever they want to, hell, I might even get one. But until then, it's Bud's Creek with the "ole beater.

Of course its not practical, nobody would claim otherwise. Two seat sports cars by their very nature are not practical. Very few peoples lives are lived solely for practicality. We all choose what impractical things we can live with to enjoy, hopefully without shorting ourselves somewhere else. But also, consider that going to top speed is one very narrow place in the envelope, and not being able to do that one thing doesn't remove the joy of the other aspects of driving such a vehicle. Enjoying the sensations of getting from 0-60(ish:), turning a rotary into a dynamic skidpad, the interplay of yourself and the controls every minute you drive, those are worth it to some folks.

And it doesn't have to be a C8. I've got to drive Vipers on a road course for a few laps, and other less fast machines. Lots of fun. But when we went looking for my sons second car after the Samurai was sold, and we came across a 1998 BMW 328i. Not very fast, but massively enjoyable to drive. Seating position, control layout, power delivery, dynamic balance. Fell in love, just a great tool to enjoy a road. Got a convertible version for myself in fact.