Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

mitzi

I just checked. Mine too. What happened I wonder, seems like subscribers would have veen notified.

mitzi

Locast for Washington DC isn't loading. Under cities DC isn't listed anymore.😳 Anybody else experiencing this?

They responded quickly.

"Thank you for your question. This is a known issue that we are working to resolve. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. Your patience is appreciated as we work to get our servers back up and running as quickly as possible.
Best Regards,
Connor
Locast Support"

PeaceBay

I looked heavily into getting an antenna to receive the DC local TV stations over the air but because of our location I wouldn't pick up many stations in Lexington Park. I gave up.

Reading tech news yesterday I read about a non-profit service called Locast.org (currently available on Roku) that re-broadcasts live local TV station signals for those that are too far away from broadcast stations to be picked up via an antenna (like the majority of us in St. Mary's).

Locast is Locast.org, not Locast.com, and its status as a non-profit means it is legally allowed to rebroadcast for free, as it provides a public service of extending signal reach (legal according to U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, according to the article).

I signed up for an account on their site (even though it's not available for DC stations--yet). They seems to be working their way down the East Coast from Boston, and Baltimore will be the next that they add. I would anticipate the DC stations to be added next after Baltimore.

If this holds up legally, you would basically be able to use your Roku and (when the DC stations are added) use the Locast.org app on Roku to stream the local stations at no charge. It would be nice to cut out the middleman, the rebroadcast fees, etc.

Definitely something for cordcutters to keep an eye on... if you want to read more about it, their website is https://www.locast.org/

Locast is not worth it. Works for a few days and then stops programs every 5 minutes to ask for donations. It's a scam.

tuffenuff2

It is back on. I have only had a few problems- mostly the video and audio not syncing. I love it and definitely think it's worth the money.

PeoplesElbow

Locast is not worth it. Works for a few days and then stops programs every 5 minutes to ask for donations. It's a scam.
Initially I was annoyed over the 50 cent charge for a $5 donation, I relented and donated the 5.50, it is a great service if you donate.