Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

mitzi

Same here. Since Sling doesn't offer ABC or CBS, I added the Locast channel to Roku and can watch all the local channels.

So far so good.

Can I add Locast to FireTV? I'm basically a dummy when it comes to all of this. I really miss the local news and some of the local morning shows.

Curious, where are you located and is that cheap RCA antenna an outdoor unit?
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, got sidetracked. I'm in Town Creek, couple of blocks behind BAE.
Here's the antenna:

The power amp used:

And I also have a rotor. Like I said above somewhere, I got better reception with a piece of PVC v metal antenna mast. I also got a much larger high gain fringe antenna which I haven't had a chance to test and install. I expect much better reception with that.

I also said above that I was missing channels 2-13 because of the antenna range (UHF v VHF Low v VHF High). Funny thing.... I used a different TV and re-scanned, and I got channel 8. Tuner sensitivity can play a big part in the channels you can get.

Last edited:

mitzi

Not sure the app is in the fire TV store (yet).

I checked into this. I can order Locast from Amazon and they will send the app to the Fire TV. Debating on whether to try this, but it seems worth it if it works properly. I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were complaining about the ads every 15 minutes asking for a donation and after the ad you lose your channel and go back to the Channel Guide. The minimum donation is $5 per month. If this works properly and not a PITA I think it will be worth the $5.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I checked into this. I can order Locast from Amazon and they will send the app to the Fire TV. Debating on whether to try this, but it seems worth it if it works properly. I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were complaining about the ads every 15 minutes asking for a donation and after the ad you lose your channel and go back to the Channel Guide. The minimum donation is $5 per month. If this works properly and not a PITA I think it will be worth the $5.

I wouldn’t trust Amazon as far as I could throw him. Bezos was the American dream. Started out selling books out of his garage, and then took advantage. His employees are not happy campers. I will have nothing to do with Amazon. What a jerk Bezos is. An Alexa was given to us, and we never plugged it in. It went out with the trash.

PeoplesElbow

I wouldn’t trust Amazon as far as I could throw him. Bezos was the American dream. Started out selling books out of his garage, and then took advantage. His employees are not happy campers. I will have nothing to do with Amazon. What a jerk Bezos is. An Alexa was given to us, and we never plugged it in. It went out with the trash.
Not everything is political, he is a turd, but Amazon has has been a stand up business in the 10+ years that I have used them for things.

mitzi

I have no complaints about Amazon. If I've had problems with something I've ordered, the customer service has been great. If something I received was faulty, they have replaced it quickly with no problems. I've used the online chat for support when I had issues with the Fire TV. So, I have no complaints with their service. As far as unhappy employees the same goes for WalMart, McDonalds, etc. I would never last 2 days with any of them the way they treat the employees.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Not everything is political, he is a turd, but Amazon has has been a stand up business in the 10+ years that I have used them for things.

Nothing in my post was political. I don’t like Amazon’s biz practices, so I choose not to use them. He doesn’t treat his employees with respect. Power, and all. And, yes, Bezos, is a turd. :yay:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have no complaints about Amazon. If I've had problems with something I've ordered, the customer service has been great. If something I received was faulty, they have replaced it quickly with no problems. I've used the online chat for support when I had issues with the Fire TV. So, I have no complaints with their service. As far as unhappy employees the same goes for WalMart, McDonalds, etc. I would never last 2 days with any of them the way they treat the employees.

Good. You deserve to be happy in your choices. I choose not to use Amazon. I think about how to use my retirement savings, wisely. I try to shop ‘local’ as much as I can. :)

Just an FYI, using the small RCA antenna and amp above, I'm getting 40 channels as of right now, atmospheric conditions permitting. Here's a channel list. For those channels with nothing in the "Approx Degrees" column, I used to get those but "lost" them along the way. The "Approx Degrees" is just my relative direction based on an arbitrary zero and is not real degrees.

Attachments

• Antenna Stations.pdf
    48.4 KB · Views: 253

littlelady

God bless the USA
Find me a retail company that does. Most of them treat their employees terrible.

I have never worked retail, so did not know that. But, Bezos had humble beginnings, made a poop ton of money, and is very powerful. One would think that he would treat his employees with respect. Pay it forward, and all that. JMO. :)

mitzi

I have never worked retail, so did not know that. But, Bezos had humble beginnings, made a poop ton of money, and is very powerful. One would think that he would treat his employees with respect. Pay it forward, and all that. JMO. :)

WalMart and McDonald's are horrible. I haven't worked there but have had people I know tell me what they do. They don't get breaks all day but told to take their break 1/2 hour before they get off work. WalMart has/had employees do work after they clocked out for the day. On and on. I do believe WalMart got in big trouble over that, it was that common. I always worked in offices but several times I worked part time in retail. I couldn't get over they way the supervisors/managers talked to the employees, from yelling to cussing at them. disiplining them in front of customers, etc. It was that bad. Needless to say, I never lasted long at those part time jobs :lmao:.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Every JOB / company has good and bad employees / management

....... and if someone is getting asked to work ' off the clock ' there are Gov Agencies to report that

mitzi

Every JOB / company has good and bad employees / management

....... and if someone is getting asked to work ' off the clock ' there are Gov Agencies to report that

Unfortunately, most people are afraid to report it.