Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

mitzi

I would think in 2019 that would no longer be an issue, I fear sadly you are probably correct.

It's true. The last place I worked part time (just last year), the owner wasn't paying overtime. She was telling the employees they had to work over 80 hours in the pay period to get OT when they would question why they didn't get overtime pay. They believed her. She tried it on me, ONE TIME.

PeoplesElbow

I have never worked retail, so did not know that. But, Bezos had humble beginnings, made a poop ton of money, and is very powerful. One would think that he would treat his employees with respect. Pay it forward, and all that. JMO. :)
You can't really lay all of that at his feet because he only owns 12% of the company, as CEO he most likely doesn't micromanage how they achieve their goals but only sets them.

The low level employees that work at Trumps properties don't really get any better treatment and you can't pull yourself off his knob for more than 5 minutes at a time, that is why I said everything isn't political.

littlelady

God bless the USA
You can't really lay all of that at his feet because he only owns 12% of the company, as CEO he most likely doesn't micromanage how they achieve their goals but only sets them.

The low level employees that work at Trumps properties don't really get any better treatment and you can't pull yourself off his knob for more than 5 minutes at a time, that is why I said everything isn't political.

I did not mention Trump in this thread, and I, certainly, don’t want his knob. I did not make this thread political. You did. You are a hoot, but don’t make the half cut, yet. That has to be earned. Thanks for the laughs! :lol:

Last edited:
It was just a matter of time. I'll bet they use the "forced donation" aspect to claim they really aren't a true non-profit.

It appears to be smaller than the large fringe antenna I got. Which is still in the basement waiting to be put up.

Yea, it is fairly compact, but he says it is the best antenna you can get.

I was really wanting to use this little one http://dennysantennaservice.com/ez_hd_tv_Antenna.html

He said it would probably get me some but they might suffer from pixilation.
That's very similar to the one I have on the roof right now. Rotor required for this area. If you get even a marginal signal, there is no pixelation. You either get the signal, or you don't. Just the way digital works. The signal may break up as the signal gets worse, but it's not pixelation.

PeoplesElbow

That's very similar to the one I have on the roof right now. Rotor required for this area. If you get even a marginal signal, there is no pixelation. You either get the signal, or you don't. Just the way digital works. The signal may break up as the signal gets worse, but it's not pixelation.
I think what he is referring to as pixilation is the signal breaking up and the picture appearing blocky, I have seen this on an indoor antenna much closer to a broadcast station.

He also told me to try pointing it north west (toward DC) and I should get 20ish channels. This guy does seem to know what he is doing and offered a money back guarantee. I just dont know if I want an antenna that large on my house.

imaref

I knew a lawsuit would be coming, but as a non-profit I think Locast has a good chance of prevailing. Guess it depends on what court/judge they draw and how much money they have to fight... could be a long, drawn out affair...

OK, just an FYI for antenna users: The FCC has mandated some frequency shifts. This requires you re-scan to find the new frequency the channel is now using. This started happening this week and affected a number of channels I can see. It's a bit frustrating. Some channels I had have disappeared, can't find them again, and other channels have just magically appeared on my lineup, even tho I wasn't looking. I'm thinking these channels were on the old frequency, so the channel number just got updated. In one case, I had duplicate channel numbers next to each other, but only one worked.

This will go on for another day or two.

mitzi

PeoplesElbow

I cancelled the cable at my mom's house since she is in assisted living. There are all the major networks within 5 miles, however for the life of me I can't get the ones that are on VHF with an indoor antenna. I've tried 5 different antennas to no avail. Atleast Home Depot has them all on clearance real cheap.

PeoplesElbow

Update, found out that none of the indoor antennas are made for VHF any more. The issue there is compounded by the fact that the stations I couldn't get are on the LO VHF band. So I've been doing a lot of research and am going to make a simple half wavelength folded dipole antenna and give it a shot next time I am there.

tuffenuff2

Just got rid of Directv- yay. They were awful after the merge with AT&T. The only thing we were worried about was the football games. My husband likes watching on Sunday but refuses to pay for NFL channel etc. We have found that Amazon prime airs a free game on some Sundays which is great for us since we're not really fans of any specific game but do enjoy watching. Plus we're saving $150 a month.