Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

Goldenhawk

...we had no problem finding stuff to watch, but I did miss live football...
We could watch it "live" and YouTubeTV does show all the local channels and ESPN live, but I have no interest in watching commercials. So we often wait about 45-60 minutes after the game starts, then start watching. It's as good as live, or better because we don't have to watch commercials. Also, because we usually just catch up to real time by the end of the game, nobody can spoil the ending for us.

WheezyCarl

I use a Roku Firestick and subscribe to Hulu Live. $54.99/month. I use ABB internet, the lowest/slowest option and have no issues. I receive local DC news, watch the Caps play hockey live, endless NFL games, ( phone, home TV or laptop options) use a built-in DVR (records up to 50 hours), includes an "on demand" feature, channels that I subscribed to through cable plus extra networks that weren't included in my extended basic package. No Hallmark channels though which is apparently a big deal to some people. Boomerang, Tom & Jerry, hot coffee and a warm fire on a Saturday morning - priceless.

1stGenSMIB

Hmm..Having a little trouble enabling my location when I go to locast.org in Chrome, which I did get to run on the Fire Stick. Baby steps.

edit - Still have not got Chrome working natively on the Fire Stick, so I pulled out my old Chromecast I had packed away when we moved in 2018. I can now cast locast.org from the computer, or my phone, full screen right to the TV now...local TV issue solved. Might need a couple more Chromecasts for the other TVs.
Comcast came this week and gave me 100MB internet for about the same price as I was paying for Verizon's 5.8Mbps DSL that cut out multiple times per day. I got myself an Orbi router so I am not leasing Comcast equipment either..

There will be a couple months of overlap while we continue to hunt down the content we are looking for, but I see tossing the DirecTV dish into the street sometime early in the New Year. :blahblah:

Last edited:

imaref

For those that have YoutubeTV, today they added 3 PBS stations and the OWN network, but they don't show up automatically. You have to log in online, go to settings, and then LIveGuide. You have to put a checkmark in the box in front of each of those channels, then move them where you want in your guide. Once you do this and log out, restart Youtube tv and they will be there.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I'm seriously looking into dropping our dish now. I will probably go with the Fire Stick since I am already an Amazon Prime member ( that is woefully under used given the price) and all I really need/want is sports and my wife loves those trash TV shows like 90 Day Fiance. I saw where NBA TV is available on Fire and my youngest is a basketball junkie so there is that too. My oldest is getting ready to head off to college and he already streams a ton of stuff to his desktop.

We are at $1500/yr for our Dish and that is with no premium channels. I still need to crunch numbers a bit but I'm sure I can cut that by 50% at least.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm seriously looking into dropping our dish now. I will probably go with the Fire Stick since I am already an Amazon Prime member ( that is woefully under used given the price) and all I really need/want is sports and my wife loves those trash TV shows like 90 Day Fiance. I saw where NBA TV is available on Fire and my youngest is a basketball junkie so there is that too. My oldest is getting ready to head off to college and he already streams a ton of stuff to his desktop.

We are at $1500/yr for our Dish and that is with no premium channels. I still need to crunch numbers a bit but I'm sure I can cut that by 50% at least.
She's my Soul Sister! That is my current mindless go-to TV when I'm not paying too much attention. Yet, it completely sucks me in! :lmao:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
She's my Soul Sister! That is my current mindless go-to TV when I'm not paying too much attention. Yet, it completely sucks me in! :lmao:
One of my friends from high school had her daughter and fiance on it a couple of years ago - Elizabeth and Andrei. I have never watched it but feel almost like I did as much as she posted about it on FB. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
One of my friends from high school had her daughter and fiance on it a couple of years ago - Elizabeth and Andrei. I have never watched it but feel almost like I did as much as she posted about it on FB. :lol:
Really!?! Maybe it'll show up as a rerun! :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Really!?! Maybe it'll show up as a rerun! :lol:
I am sure it will. Just looked and it was 2018. The couple now have their first baby and did a spot on a follow up show called 90 Day Fiance After Hours or something like that.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I am sure it will. Just looked and it was 2018. The couple now have their first baby and did a spot on a follow up show called 90 Day Fiance After Hours or something like that.
A quick Google search finds all sorts of stuff! I'll have to sit down and take a look.

PeoplesElbow

ATSC 3.0 will be huge for us in southern Maryland, it will allow flawless viewing on a much more marginal signal.

If nothing else changes then anyone with an antenna should be able to pick up marginal channels all the time and we may even gain a few channels that we couldnt watch before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

Goldenhawk

I'll be curious to see if ATSC 3 actually helps with signal distance. There's a fundamental curvature-of-the-earth limitation at play when you get as far from an antenna as we are in SoMD. In looking up a few articles, I didn't find much consistent info, aside from a lot of statements like "may help with fringe area reception." In short, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, I have little intention of going back to an over-the-air signal that includes commercials I cannot skip...

PeoplesElbow

I'll be curious to see if ATSC 3 actually helps with signal distance. There's a fundamental curvature-of-the-earth limitation at play when you get as far from an antenna as we are in SoMD. In looking up a few articles, I didn't find much consistent info, aside from a lot of statements like "may help with fringe area reception." In short, I'm not holding my breath.

Besides, I have little intention of going back to an over-the-air signal that includes commercials I cannot skip...
Not so much with distance but with maintaining "a lock".

We are well within the curvature of the earth distance to receive signals from the DC channels.

1stGenSMIB

I am getting closer and closer...
All that locast stuff is easy now. I do not know how long it has been available, but the locast app is available right on the FireStick now, which eliminates all of the geo location problems, and installing non-approved apps, and Chrome and other BS that was making streaming local TV difficult.
You still need to set up an account at locast.org, but then you just load up the app on the FS, and it authenticates with a code just like D+ and other popular apps. Locast is kinda like wikipedia...you send 'em a few $$ a month ($6) and they don't hassle you for money..but you still get the broadcast ads. They are just re-broadcasting local channels like DTV or cable.
Still working on recording streamed content to my media server so it is easy for my wife to find it, but with the D+/Hulu/ESPN bundle, free Apple TV (for a year), Netflix & Amazon Prime, I have just about found everything I need. I even think I can get CBS All Access thru Apple TV, so I don't think I need to subscribe to CBS just for the new Star Trek: Picard.

Last edited:

imaref

Good for you. I'm saving $70 a month (before the latest price increase) switching from Directv to YoutubeTV. I was a little worried because I have chronic DVR-itis and record everything, but YoutubeTV has UNLIMITED DVR so I record everything (including sports), then watch a little later so I can skip through all of the commercials. Recordings last for 9 months. I did lose A&E, History Channel and Paramount, but I'm learning I can pretty easily live without them. Not worth spending another $20 a month for Philo just to get those missing channels. I have the Locast app on my Roku but rarely use is because YoutubeTV has the local channels included.

My only concern is that with the number of folks dropping cable tv and satellite tv that the cable companies will take advantage by raising internet prices...

Goldenhawk

Good for you. I'm saving $70 a month (before the latest price increase) switching from Directv to YoutubeTV.
Ditto. Not as cheap as LoCast, but it does have the DVR with zero fuss, which is important for the non-techies in the family. And the single biggest test passed with flying colors - we watched the Super Bowl with no hitches.

DirecTV sent me a "please come back" email today. Hah. No chance of that. I clicked the "Unsubscribe me from all DirecTV email" link.

imaref

Same here--Super Bowl was flawless. I also like the fact that you can set the resolution easily to save on bandwidth. I keep it set on 480p for most regular shows (looks just fine), then bump it up to 720p or 1080 for movies and sports.

...and it will be a cold day in "heck" before I allow the tentacles of AT&T back into my home. They RUINED Directv.

General Lee

I have chronic DVR-itis and record everything, but YoutubeTV has UNLIMITED DVR so I record everything (including sports), then watch a little later so I can skip through all of the commercials. Recordings last for 9 months.

Please excuse my ignorant question.....I am in the beginning stages of looking to rid Direct TV. I too like the option of DVRing. When you record something from YouTubeTV, where is it saved? To your account I assume?

Goldenhawk

Please excuse my ignorant question.....I am in the beginning stages of looking to rid Direct TV. I too like the option of DVRing. When you record something from YouTubeTV, where is it saved? To your account I assume?
Well, the "DVR" features are all located on the YouTubeTV ("YTTV") servers, unlike your DirecTV ("DTV") receiver where it's being stored on a physical spinning hard disk inside your receiver in your house.

Consider the fact that YTTV is streaming everything exactly when you ask for it, unlike DTV who pushes everything to the satellite once, in real time. DirecTV cannot afford to push stuff to you twice - which means the DVR storage must be on your receiver. If you want a DTV recording, you have to save what they stream when they stream it.

But YTTV streams everything only when you ask for it. And it's already all on their servers ready for access. So their system is implicitly 100% "on demand." Therefore it costs nothing for them to keep a list of stuff you want to watch later, plus a pointer to how many minutes into the show you were last watching it. The only thing they have to do is store those recordings of everything they broadcast for however many months (9, I guess) so anyone can request it again later. And of course they also created an easy interface to your "library," which is nothing more than a list of pointers to the info.

So while a DTV "List" and the YTTV "Library" look roughly the same when you're browsing your DVR contents, they really do work very differently.

Note also that you can watch the contents of your YTTV library literally ANYWHERE - your iPad or phone or laptop or desktop or Roku or FireStick or AppleTV... because they all just show streamed content, and YTTV is happy to push it to whatever device(s) are logged into your account. Super convenient. I can start watching a show on my TV, then finish it on my phone or tablet in another room... it really means that the "television" is just another screen that does the same thing as any of your other devices. You're totally liberated from that one TV in the family room.

Note that DirecTV Now (or AT&T TV Now or whatever they're calling it this month) is very similar to YTTV. Just more expensive and still tied to the AT&T monster.

It does make me wonder why they don't offer the ability to request ANY show from the last 9 months, even if you didn't flag it to record. What if I want to go back and watch some local channel from a few days ago, but I didn't DVR it at the time? Shouldn't matter to YTTV; it's already on their server. I guess they just don't want to complicate the interface and confuse people.

Goldenhawk

PS: My only real gripe with YTTV is that the Library is not as well organized as DTV's List used to be. It's hard to figure out which shows have been recently recorded and which ones have already been watched, which makes it a bit harder to keep track of several shows per week.

Look, it's worth your time to sign up for YTTV for the two week trial. You'll quickly find out if it works for you.

I'm a big fan of the Roku for the YTTV app; the Roku remote is much more user-friendly than the AppleTV remote. Both Apple and Roku have the same on-screen appearance, but the Roku has a much better physical button setup on the remote, than the Apple touchscreen setup. Also, the Roku Ultimate has TV volume buttons on the remote, too, which is a bonus. The only thing it's missing is a mute button, which is a really strange design choice. But none of that matters to testing the YTTV service for a couple weeks - if you like the features, you have a lot of options to explore for hardware (smart TVs, Roku, Apple, Firestick, etc.).