Some will applaud this....but not me.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The woman offered to eat before and just have a drink at the restaurant because of her food intolerances.
The restaurant not only said they would not accommodate her diet, but she couldn't just sit there and have a drink, either.
Ergo, they are the dicks, not the woman with the eating thing.

A few New Years' ago Monello and I had dinner with a friend who has a number of food issues. We went to a prix fixe restaurant, with a special holiday menu, choose from four meals type of thing, and my friend told the server about her dilemma. Do you know, that chef cobbled together a meal for her with items already on hand, omitting this, substituting that, and it was not only a terrific dinner WITH a dairy-free dessert, it was really nice of them to do that for her.

If this "chef" could not or would not accommodate this woman, he should have simply apologized and said so without the shitty 'tude and insults.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
So many of them forget they are in a "service" business...and what that really means. But hey...those businesses live or die based on decision like that and it is entirely their choice.

When I owned a waterfront hotel, we had to put up notices that cooking in the rooms would result in immediate expulsion with no refunds. I was clearly being rayciss with regards my many Korean clientele...oh well..

Hijinx

Why do some food handlers use latex gloves when so many people are allergic to latex.

This_person

The restaurant not only said they would not accommodate her diet, but she couldn't just sit there and have a drink, either.
I get that they think they are artists and all that, but just allowing someone to sit and drink seems part of the profitable side of the business, too.

Seems like a bad call :yay:.

officeguy

Clearly rubbed him the wrong way. Probably not the first unreasonable customer he had to deal with. Let his inner soup-nazi come out.

officeguy

I get that they think they are artists and all that, but just allowing someone to sit and drink seems part of the profitable side of the business, too.

Seems like a bad call :yay:.

He stated why he can't do that. The liquor license may be a BS excuse, but then, I don't have to deal with his local licensing authority. If the liquor license is the issue, the customer should be ok just having soft-drinks.

I think he just doesn't want her in the restaurant. And that's ok too.

This_person

He stated why he can't do that. The liquor license may be a BS excuse, but then, I don't have to deal with his local licensing authority. If the liquor license is the issue, the customer should be ok just having soft-drinks.

I think he just doesn't want her in the restaurant. And that's ok too.
I'm absolutely the first one to say that any business (privately owned) should be able to discriminate against any one at any time for any reason.

They can still be considered jerks by me :lol:.

Reactions: TPD

officeguy

I'm absolutely the first one to say that any business (privately owned) should be able to discriminate against any one at any time for any reason.

They can still be considered jerks by me :lol:.

I dont think anyone should be discriminated against for how they look or who their parents are. A restaurant should however be free to discriminate against anyone at any time for what they DO and how they dress.

This woman was unreasonable and a pain in the azz. I understand why he didn't want her in the restaurant.

TPD

the poor dad
Did anyone read the article? Number one - there are restrictions on liquor licenses and food, especially here in this country on New Years Eve concerning staying open later than normal. This happened in Australia so I imagine their laws are worse. Number two - this woman was asking for stuff that the restaurant didn’t even have on hand AND she wanted a reduced price. IMO the chef was tactful in the way he handled it. I would have told her to pack sand or worse!

truby20

Fighting like a girl
Did anyone read the article? Number one - there are restrictions on liquor licenses and food, especially here in this country on New Years Eve concerning staying open later than normal. This happened in Australia so I imagine their laws are worse. Number two - this woman was asking for stuff that the restaurant didn’t even have on hand AND she wanted a reduced price. IMO the chef was tactful in the way he handled it. I would have told her to pack sand or worse!

Few here take the time to read past the title of the piece. I think that’s why Grups feels the need to copy and paste parts of the articles he’s always posting to get across whatever point he’s trying to make.

SamSpade

The woman offered to eat before and just have a drink at the restaurant because of her food intolerances.

When I see stuff like this clearly intended to rile me up, I usually guess that I am not getting the whole story.
I used to work with an impossible woman, to put it mildly. If sometime later in my career I have to accommodate her for any reason,
I'm going to have a really short fuse.

I thought it was a LITTLE odd that after she wanted them to do all this stuff for her - create a special just for her AND tell them what price
to charge, she mentions she also works in the catering business - so the owner shoots back at her would YOU do all this - AND if you had the
overhead of a restaurant (because it's almost certainly cheaper to cater to someone's needs as a caterer than expect a restaurant to do it for you).

I don't know if this emails constitute the whole of the story. I suspect there's more, but - I've seen people on HERE lose it over less.
I probably would have just said no with a brief reason - and ignored her snarky response.

officeguy

I don't run a restaurant, but I have encountered house guests with diet requests that reek more of narcicism than true allergy. I'll gladly accommodate diet restrictions, just yesterday we had friends over who are vegetarian. Easy enough.

We have some friends who have a kid with serious food allergies. When they come it's easy 'you know Jonny is really allergic to eggs. I am going to bring a Tupper with food that I'll just warm up for him, I hope you are not offended'.

If someone gave me the kind of custom order that this woman was asking for, I would probably suggest for her to go somewhere else too. For a restaurant , it's probably not productive to get into a back and forth like that. A simple 'I am sorry, we wouldn't be able to accommodate a custom a-la-carte order during a shared feast' would have been sufficient.

Reminds me a bit of the travel blogger who lost her crap when a hotel in Ireland wouldn't give her a free room in exchange for her covering the place in her blog.

black dog

Free America
Clearly rubbed him the wrong way. Probably not the first unreasonable customer he had to deal with. Let his inner soup-nazi come out.
giphy.gif

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought it was a LITTLE odd that after she wanted them to do all this stuff for her - create a special just for her AND tell them what price
to charge

My understanding is the meal was a group "feast", like a family style dinner thing at $68 (or whatever) a head. She asked if she could just have a drink, since there wasn't a lot on the menu that she could eat, or if they could cobble together a small plate for her and charge her accordingly. I thought her request was fairly reasonable - doesn't hurt to ask, right? The response from management was, "I'm sorry but we can't do that. Our feast must include all members of the party and we can't make any exceptions." She replied, okay, we'll just go somewhere else, and that should have been the end of it.

Then the chef got involved and got shitty with her.

She replied, no problem, we'll just go somewhere else. And the chef came back at her AGAIN with his snitty 'tude.

The whole thing is here:

Click through and read the whole exchange.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If someone gave me the kind of custom order that this woman was asking for, I would probably suggest for her to go somewhere else too. For a restaurant , it's probably not productive to get into a back and forth like that. A simple 'I am sorry, we wouldn't be able to accommodate a custom a-la-carte order during a shared feast' would have been sufficient.

Click the post above and read the whole exchange.