sores on cat

tiltedangel

I just wanted to post about my cat. He suddenly started getting sores around his face and neck. I knew he had some food allergies to ocean white fish, but had not been feeding him anything with that in it so i was very confused by the sores. i tried everything, to include giving him very small doses of benedryl, changed his litter and his food, but they kept getting worse. The other day i went to the cabinet to get him some treats since that seemed to be what he would eat, and on my way stopped and thought i wonder if it is the treats, since i had been giving him quite a bit more to supplement since he wasn't eating much normal food. At that point i decided to stop giving him treats, everyday i saw an improvement, i would put some neosporin on the sores and started giving him the benedryl every other day in very small doses, well a week later he is almost completely healed and the hair is growing back. I just thought i would share, i honestly thought i was doing the right thing by letting him eat treats since he wasn't eating the normal food.

and another thing i found....my mothers cat had the same problem with sores, the vet told her to give her cat liquid childrens benedryl and eye dropper full twice a day. So i tried it. no way! my cat was shredding me to pieces. For three days i tried to get it in him but no matter what i wrapped him in or how i tried to restrain him he got loose and scratched me to death. I didn't know what to do so i got some benedryl tablets and cut them into thirds, i would crush a third of the tablet and put it in a very little amount of his catfood (about an 1/8 of a teaspoon)and put it on his paws ( i know cats don't like anything on their paws and will clean it off ) worked like a charm! so if you have a cat that is not easy to restrain and needs medication, try to get pill form and mix it with something after crushing it and put it on their paws. It saves you from being shredded and the cat from a lot of trauma lol!

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If you're using plastic dishes, stop. If you're using dirty dishes, stop. It also could be a brand of cat food. One of my cats has swelling when we feed him a certain brand. Try changing the brand.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I just wanted to post about my cat. He suddenly started getting sores around his face and neck. I knew he had some food allergies to ocean white fish, but had not been feeding him anything with that in it so i was very confused by the sores. i tried everything, to include giving him very small doses of benedryl, changed his litter and his food, but they kept getting worse. The other day i went to the cabinet to get him some treats since that seemed to be what he would eat, and on my way stopped and thought i wonder if it is the treats, since i had been giving him quite a bit more to supplement since he wasn't eating much normal food. At that point i decided to stop giving him treats, everyday i saw an improvement, i would put some neosporin on the sores and started giving him the benedryl every other day in very small doses, well a week later he is almost completely healed and the hair is growing back. I just thought i would share, i honestly thought i was doing the right thing by letting him eat treats since he wasn't eating the normal food.

and another thing i found....my mothers cat had the same problem with sores, the vet told her to give her cat liquid childrens benedryl and eye dropper full twice a day. So i tried it. no way! my cat was shredding me to pieces. For three days i tried to get it in him but no matter what i wrapped him in or how i tried to restrain him he got loose and scratched me to death. I didn't know what to do so i got some benedryl tablets and cut them into thirds, i would crush a third of the tablet and put it in a very little amount of his catfood (about an 1/8 of a teaspoon)and put it on his paws ( i know cats don't like anything on their paws and will clean it off ) worked like a charm! so if you have a cat that is not easy to restrain and needs medication, try to get pill form and mix it with something after crushing it and put it on their paws. It saves you from being shredded and the cat from a lot of trauma lol!

You are lucky he ate the food with the pills in it. Most cats can smell medicine or supplements a mile away!
Glad you discovered the culprit by process of elimination. If you want to give him treats, you may want to try something different like dehydrated beef liver or chicken.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If you're using plastic dishes, stop. If you're using dirty dishes, stop. It also could be a brand of cat food. One of my cats has swelling when we feed him a certain brand. Try changing the brand.

:yeahthat: Many cats develop feline acne from some plastic bowls. The newer melamine bowls dont't seem as bad. Regardless, I use stainless steel and ceramic bowls and run them through the dishwasher frequently.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
:yeahthat: Many cats develop feline acne from some plastic bowls. The newer melamine bowls dont't seem as bad. Regardless, I use stainless steel and ceramic bowls and run them through the dishwasher frequently.

I use ceramic, and run them through the DW after each use. I have a stack of dishes for kitties just like the stack of dishes for people.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Could it be something else?

Have you noticed any excessive agrerssive scratching? Other than it possibly being fleas, it could be dry skin.
For the dry skin possibility, you might try either mixing canned food in with dry food if your cat prefers dry food; or you could get either vitamin E or fish oil gel caps; pierce the end of it and put it on your cat's food. Some cats lick the bowl clean if you do that. To treat any sores, you might try vitamin E oil.

tiltedangel

What kind of treats were they? Was your mother using the same type of treats you were?
Catty

It was temptations, but i am sure it was not the brand since they have always had them, but more the amount i was allowing him to bribe me for. No mom doesn't used the same treats as a i do.

tiltedangel

he could still smell it, but he had to get it off his paws after it was there lol. It got to the point he would jump backwards when i saw me with it on my fingers lol

tiltedangel

no plastic dishes, and definitely no dirty dishes that is just gross, i wouldn't want my food served on a dirty dish, and there is no way my animals are being served on a dirty dish either. but like i said i found the culprit thank goodness :yahoo:

tiltedangel

Have you noticed any excessive agrerssive scratching? Other than it possibly being fleas, it could be dry skin.
For the dry skin possibility, you might try either mixing canned food in with dry food if your cat prefers dry food; or you could get either vitamin E or fish oil gel caps; pierce the end of it and put it on your cat's food. Some cats lick the bowl clean if you do that. To treat any sores, you might try vitamin E oil.

they eat dry and canned food, and i am afraid to even try fish oil since this cat is allergic to fish lol...he does have some dry skin but that is from the excessive licking with the sores, thank goodness they are almost gone.:yahoo: my cats like coconut oil and that really helps with their skin, thanks so much for your input. may have to try some vitamin E

clockaleanie

I've discovered the same. My cat developed an allergy to grain, so I took her off regular food and switched to grain free. The skin conditions stopped there, but she didn't really eat as much , so I have been feeding her treats to make sure she got something. But they are not grain free. Just yesterday I had to take her back to the vet for her second urinary tract infection in two months. She makes out that is all she really wants to eat, except for the gravy on her wet food. Maybe I will have to try some natural treats, as were mentioned in another post.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have 2 cats and found out that my 1 cat was biting and causing the sores on my other cat. Something that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread but wanted to put it out as something to consider. Our youngest will attack and bite our oldest cat when nobody is around. We put a camera up after my husband became suspicious and that is how we found out for sure.

bcp

In My Opinion
One of our cats would lose its hair along its back and side every year, come winter, the hair would start falling out in clumps, by the middle of summer all was well again.
Vet couldnt figure it out ($$$$$$ in tests)
Last year I realized that the dumb ass was laying up against a heat vent everytime the heat came on. He was actually burning his skin, then it would itch, so he would lick, and between all of the burning and licking etc.. his hair would fall out. He also got some scabbing on his head from it.

I made it so he could not lay right up against the vent this year, and he has not had the problem.

sometimes, its caused by something you might never think about.

tiltedangel

One of our cats would lose its hair along its back and side every year, come winter, the hair would start falling out in clumps, by the middle of summer all was well again.
Vet couldnt figure it out ($$$$$$ in tests)
Last year I realized that the dumb ass was laying up against a heat vent everytime the heat came on. He was actually burning his skin, then it would itch, so he would lick, and between all of the burning and licking etc.. his hair would fall out. He also got some scabbing on his head from it.

I made it so he could not lay right up against the vent this year, and he has not had the problem.

sometimes, its caused by something you might never think about.

now that is something to think about....the cat in question becomes one with the heater lol:howdy: