Sotomayor Was a Terrible Affirmative Action Pick for the Court

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Of course, hospitalization statistics aren’t actually relevant to the case before the court. Sotomayor made a colossal mistake; she really didn’t need to be offering any statistics at all, correct or not. As a Supreme Court justice, the issue before her and her fellow members on the bench is the constitutionality of Biden’s mandates, not whether the severity of the disease justifies measures taken by the government to mitigate it.

But even that seems to be lost on Sotomayor. The issue of the entire case is whether the federal government has the authority to impose a vaccine mandate.

“I’m not sure I understand the distinction why the states would have the power [to institute a mandate such as OSHA’s], but the federal government wouldn’t,” Sotomayor said during oral arguments.

Apparently, the Obama-nominated justice doesn’t know about the Tenth Amendment, which states that “the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.”

How is it possible she doesn’t understand the Tenth Amendment? Well, it appears that Harvard law professor Larry Tribe actually warned Barack Obama not to nominate Sotomayor to the Supreme Court back in 2009. “If you were to appoint someone like Sonia Sotomayor, whose personal history and demographic appeal you don’t need me to underscore, I am concerned that the impact within the Court would be negative in these respects,” Tribe wrote in his letter to Obama after Justice Souter retired. “Bluntly put, she’s not nearly as smart as she seems to think she is.”

and that folks is the PROBLEM With appointing someone for their gender or political status

OccamsRazor

“I’m not sure I understand the distinction why the states would have the power [to institute a mandate such as OSHA’s], but the federal government wouldn’t,” Sotomayor said during oral arguments.

Saying this in the open is equivalent to hiring a master mechanic and then hearing them say "I don't understand why we need to change the oil."
Isn't this the fundamental knowledge baseline for ANY judge on SCOTUS? To know the Constitution??

BOP

Saying this in the open is equivalent to hiring a master mechanic and then hearing them say "I don't understand why we need to change the oil."
Isn't this the fundamental knowledge baseline for ANY judge on SCOTUS? To know the Constitution??
It's fine. After all, Constitutional scholar Obama didn't know much more than Slutamayor about our foundational document.

SamSpade

I’m still a little flabbergasted at all of this and not just Sotomayor. I mean what if an issue of national importance required your input - in fact, JUST you and eight others. Shouldn’t you make sure you know EVERYTHING there is to know about this?

Shouldn’t you at least TRY to always be the smartest person in the room when it’s your JOB to be that? This woman SEVERAL times spouted ignorance and bullchit and outright made up facts that most of US knew was crap - and we’re not on SCOTUS.

Smokey1

Most of those fat w-hores aren't; though many will go to great lengths to convince you they are.

Its the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I’m still a little flabbergasted at all of this and not just Sotomayor. I mean what if an issue of national importance required your input - in fact, JUST you and eight others. Shouldn’t you make sure you know EVERYTHING there is to know about this?

IMHO ..... They believe the State Run Media, they are in a echo chamber fed by their staff

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Its the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Does it stem from being raised by clueless parents who constantly tell you how special you are?

SamSpade

IMHO ..... They believe the State Run Media, they are in a echo chamber fed by their staff
But in times past, when you heard hearings and heard the voices of people like Scalia or Kennedy and think damn this guy is smart, logical and sharp - he can assemble details of the law and precedent in seconds. THEN you do realize, well - he did PREPARE for this, but damn if he doesn't make BOTH sides look like they didn't do their homework. I could never be a judge - lawyer, possibly. In some courtrooms, the attorneys are as kids standing before a wise old grownup. And you know what else? From their remarks, you couldn't always guess how they would rule, because they tore both sides to pieces. Sotomayor made it abundantly clear which way she leaned, while citing stupidities.

THIS - this is first-rate stupid. Where on earth did anyone get the idea that omicron is FAR more deadly than other variants when it's been made clear that in some countries, there's been ZERO DEATHS. Some articles have suggested - we might do well to let THIS variant run amok, just to force immunity in the population, because isolation from it encourages MORE variants, which COULD be more lethal.

somdwatch

Any Justice who speaks with a pre-determined view of their own set of facts prior to SCOTUS review of facts should be recused by the other justices. Accountability and Discipline should be enforce by their own.

stgislander

PREMO Member
THIS - this is first-rate stupid. Where on earth did anyone get the idea that omicron is FAR more deadly than other variants when it's been made clear that in some countries, there's been ZERO DEATHS. Some articles have suggested - we might do well to let THIS variant run amok, just to force immunity in the population, because isolation from it encourages MORE variants, which COULD be more lethal.
I've been thinking the same thing. Omicron is a "gift" from the universe that allows us to get natural immunity and put this pandemic behind us. Stop trying to protect yourself from it.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Na, she just stoopid.
Let's not say stupid. Willfully ignorant. But if the person was qualified for the position, then they wouldn't have had to rely on some sort of physical attribute that makes them an affirmative action selection.

You would think people that say uber dumb things on the national stage would be embarrassed. But these folks seem to bask in their knuckleheadedness.