Source: Redskins to cut Willie Parker

Severa

Common sense ain't common
ESPN.com

Running back Willie Parker is changing teams and changing agents.

The Washington Redskins informed Parker on Saturday that he will be released, according to a league source.

Parker also is in the process of hiring a new agent, and many around the league believe he will select Peter Schaffer,
who represented former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jerome Bettis.

The Redskins signed Parker in the spring to a one-year deal, telling him there would be an open competition for the starting job,
with Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis and Ryan Torain also in the mix.

---------------------

'Skins fans, your take on this news?

SOMDRAVEN

Big Dog Daddy
Both of these backs have very similar career numbers. I think either one of them can fill in admirably behind Portis. Maybe Johnson got the nod cause he's a local boy.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Both of these backs have very similar career numbers. I think either one of them can fill in admirably behind Portis. Maybe Johnson got the nod cause he's a local boy.
Yeah, that's a great reason to pick a guy for your final 53, because he's local.:lmao:

Johnson out-performed Parker throughout training camp and pre-season. This isn't a surprise to Redskins fans who have kept up.

SOMDRAVEN

Big Dog Daddy
Yeah, that's a great reason to pick a guy for your final 53, because he's local.:lmao:

Johnson out-performed Parker throughout training camp and pre-season. This isn't a surprise to Redskins fans who have kept up.

By the way that was just a joke. I guess you have no sense of humor.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
'Skins fans, your take on this news?

Non event. :shrug:

Shannahan got what he wanted; serious competition at the position. Someone was gonna lose and Portis, by all accounts, is in great shape and focused; this is the best possible outcome of the competition, CP motivated and ready to go. So, Johnson stays as the healthy, durable vet, the young kid showed promise and that leaves out Parker.

Portis has been misused since Gibbs brought him on; he was never a power back. This is his kind of scheme; the zone block, pick your spot and scoot.

Now that he's gotten himself ready and is in an offense that suits him, I won't be surprised to see him have a pro bowl caliber year.

:buddies: