South Dakota

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our South Dakota vacation guide just arrived. The tourism people did a nice job in putting together a publication for all the things to see & do when visiting their state. Needless to say I can't wait to get there.

I've only seen the eastern most part of the state. I did drive up I29 a few years ago. I never actually stopped anywhere along the way. The part that has me most excited is the Bad Lands area. It looks like there are a ton of activities for travelers. It almost reminds me of Gatlinburg, TN with all the touristy sights. I know that Mount Rushmore is a big attraction but the entire south western corner looks like a visitor's paradise. I hope I get to go in the hot springs. There seems to be a half dozen scenic drive itineraries that include some spectacular scenery. So it looks like Deadwood, Custer, Rapid City, Spearfish, Sturgis & Devil's tower need to go on our to-do list.

Can anyone that has already visited the area recommend some must see attractions? TIA

Coaster

I've been to the area a number of times and it sounds like you have it covered. DO NOT pass up on taking the time to drive to Devil's Tower.

Deadwood. I still remember it from when I was about 3. Wild Bill Hickok was shot there. Aces and eights.

Last edited:

tastycake

We just came back from South Dakota - trailored the motorcycles out to the Black Hills and stayed in a lovely cottage for a week. We went the week before the Sturgis Bike Rally but there were still many bikes out there. We went through the Bad Lands - probably Wall, SD is what you are comparing to Gaitlinburg. We didn't linger there but the Bad Lands are a sight to see. We went to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devils Tower. Spearfish Canyon was really a beautiful ride. Deadwood was awesome. I had been there about 25 years ago and it was a really cool town. Now they have legalized gambling which in my opinion ruined the town (I am not a gambler) but it isn't the quaint little town it used to be - but don't miss it either! Old Style No. 10 is the bar where Wild Bill was shot. Really a cool bar. We didn't go to this place, but in Deadwood there is an old cemetery at the top of "the hill" where Wild Bill, Calamity Jane and various other famous westerners are buried. Have a wonderful time!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We just came back from South Dakota - trailored the motorcycles out to the Black Hills and stayed in a lovely cottage for a week. We went the week before the Sturgis Bike Rally but there were still many bikes out there. We went through the Bad Lands - probably Wall, SD is what you are comparing to Gaitlinburg. We didn't linger there but the Bad Lands are a sight to see. We went to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devils Tower. Spearfish Canyon was really a beautiful ride. Deadwood was awesome. I had been there about 25 years ago and it was a really cool town. Now they have legalized gambling which in my opinion ruined the town (I am not a gambler) but it isn't the quaint little town it used to be - but don't miss it either! Old Style No. 10 is the bar where Wild Bill was shot. Really a cool bar. We didn't go to this place, but in Deadwood there is an old cemetery at the top of "the hill" where Wild Bill, Calamity Jane and various other famous westerners are buried. Have a wonderful time!

Thanks. This is the kind of info I'm looking for. First hand accounts from people who've been there and did that.

tastycake

I forgot to mention an absolute must is Needles State Park as well as Custer State Park. If you take the Wildlife Loop in Custer, you are guaranteed to get up close and toooo personal with the buffalo/bison. That was not cool on a motorcycle but quite an experience.

fisherpw

Corn Palace

Gotta see the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. If you're heading east-west, you'll go by it anyways. Indian Reservations are always interesting, although it's not very touristy.