Southern Maryland Drivers, making crap up

BOP

Just when you think you've seen it all, another southern Maryland driver makes up their own rules.

Coming off of Cove Point yesterday, turning southbound on 2/4, sitting there, waiting for the light to change at about 04:30. Car #1 comes up behind me, also waiting to go south. Car #2 comes up in the right turn lane to head north on 2/4.

It's not real clear that you can go straight across the intersection, but you can, since there's enough room, though why you would when all that's over there is a parking lot they used to use to shuttle people to the job site down Cove Point, but no longer use.

Car #3 comes up between me and Car #2 as though he were going to the parking lot, but then, against a red light, turns right to go north on 2/4 on the inside lane because he's more important than Car #2 (and now Cars #4-6 behind Car #2), just as Car #2 is making his right turn. Car #3 goes racing through the already existing north-bound traffic as though he'd never seen an episode of Speeders in his life, but was fixing to be featured on tonight's episode.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

One would think that the SHA would have made Dominion paint arrows when they resurfaced. But .... Since Dominion has spread soooo much money around the place, guess not.

Reactions: BOP

BernieP

Resident PIA
Unless you erect physical barriers some people will do whatever they fell like, and if questioned will try and justify that they were correct.
A lot of people in Wildewood will use the pedestrian / cycle path as a lane. At the intersection of the BLVD and Parkway they will pass on the right, with the assumption people ahead are waiting for someone to turn left or go straight - since they want to go right, they figure no harm no foul (unless ou are walking or riding a bike.)
I won't pull over (off the road), I turn from the lane, I've pissed a few drivers off because I cut them off when they started to pass me on the right.
They were indignant, they are breaking the law and are yelling at me because I'm where I'm supposed to be.

MiddleGround

In all honesty... what does it matter? Nothing is being done or will ever be done about it. Been that way for years!

2 days ago, I was slowing down for a red light at Town Creek headed SB on 235. In the left turn lane (to go onto TC) was an unmarked MSP car with a uniformed trooper inside. As I came to a halt and the light turned red, a minivan raced (probably at about 60MPH) through the full-on RED light. I looked over at the trooper fully expecting him to light it up and take off.

NOPE!!!

I guess he had to drop his kid off at school or something because he just easily made the left turn to head into TC. That, or he had some other business in there because he certainly wasn't "on the job" in his official vehicle.

Just be happy the insurance companies don't charge a hazard premium for driving around here!

I wish an automated arrow gun would shoot out the tires of any vehicle who races up the right-side "turn only" lane next to Harris Teeters only to illegally head straight though the light to cut off the line of folks going straight at that light legally.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I wish an automated arrow gun would shoot out the tires of any vehicle who races up the right-side "turn only" lane next to Harris Teeters only to illegally head straight though the light to cut off the line of folks going straight at that light legally.
Like the NB cars on 235 in the afternoon?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Never mind. By chance drove Cove Point Rd from Rt 4, yup, there are arrows, one pointing must-go-left, one pointing must-go-straight, and one pointing must-go-right. Funny, almost describes politics, or tranny.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Just when you think you've seen it all, another southern Maryland driver makes up their own rules.

Coming off of Cove Point yesterday, turning southbound on 2/4, sitting there, waiting for the light to change at about 04:30. Car #1 comes up behind me, also waiting to go south. Car #2 comes up in the right turn lane to head north on 2/4.

It's not real clear that you can go straight across the intersection, but you can, since there's enough room, though why you would when all that's over there is a parking lot they used to use to shuttle people to the job site down Cove Point, but no longer use.

Car #3 comes up between me and Car #2 as though he were going to the parking lot, but then, against a red light, turns right to go north on 2/4 on the inside lane because he's more important than Car #2 (and now Cars #4-6 behind Car #2), just as Car #2 is making his right turn. Car #3 goes racing through the already existing north-bound traffic as though he'd never seen an episode of Speeders in his life, but was fixing to be featured on tonight's episode.

That sucks. Stay safe out there, sha-BOP!

Reactions: BOP

BernieP

Resident PIA
Why, apparently most deny that's a turn lane, it's an acceleration lane and those drivers are merely accelerating. - :sarcasm:

MiddleGround

Why, apparently most deny that's a turn lane, it's an acceleration lane and those drivers are merely accelerating. - :sarcasm:

Let me break it down for you 2nd grade style so maybe you will understand it... this time.

Leaving a business and using that lane to get up to speed in order to MERGE with traffic in the travel lane = GOOD
Leaving a travel lane and entering the Merge/Turn lane in order to pass traffic on the right and re-entering lanes of travel = BAD

Serious question. When you turn to leave a business directly off of 235, do you drive THRU the Merge/Turn lane and directly enter the first travel lane? Asking because you seem to think that lane is not for accelerating and merging into traffic.

PeoplesElbow

Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

While I have seen people cut across 4 lanes of traffic into and out of the businesses along there, the safest way to do this is to and from the far right lane, if people wouldn't use it as a passing/travel lane.

Using it to merge into traffic is one thing. However, the sign on the post directly above the intersection specifically states "Turn Only" which means they are not to go straight through the intersection.

MiddleGround

Using it to merge into traffic is one thing. However, the sign on the post directly above the intersection specifically states "Turn Only" which means they are not to go straight through the intersection.

Same goes for the Turn Right Only lane at NB 235 and Shady Mile as well as NB235 and Town Creek :yay:

BOP

Same exact intersection yesterday. I'm behind a Nissan Rogue, another vehicle is turning right to go north on 2/4. Mr. F150, clearly headed to the same place I am, the landfill (trash bags in the bed), pulls up in the straight through lane. He's pulled halfway into the intersection, which means he's from Philly (confirmed: the light changes and he doesn't move), and eventually he turns left. I guess that lane is a do-whatever-the-hell-you-please lane.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Same goes for the Turn Right Only lane at NB 235 and Shady Mile as well as NB235 and Town Creek :yay:
This just happened to me yesterday at NB 235 and Shady Mile. I was sitting at the red light and a car pulled up beside me in the turn lane. When the light turned green, the car continued straight through the intersection. I expected them to turn into the restaurant complex but no, they were turning to go towards the bridge to Solomons as I was. :duh:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Why do the two have to be mutually exclusive?

While I have seen people cut across 4 lanes of traffic into and out of the businesses along there, the safest way to do this is to and from the far right lane, if people wouldn't use it as a passing/travel lane.
becaue while one vehicle is accelerating, their focus is on the lane to their left and behind - not, they are accelerating to (hopefully) match the speed of the traffic. The vehicle that's turning is slowing down, which places that vehicle in the ripe position to get rear ended. Trust me, the people accelerating aren't too happy to have to slow down or stop because the other driver is making a hard right.

Then there are the vehicles that come flying around the corner or out of a driveway without stopping. Then pace the traffic and expect the vehicles trying to get into the right lane to slow down, or even stop, on 235 inorder to let the "accelerating / merging" traffic to clear out. Again, not only is that vehicle at risk, but you are defeating the purpose of the lane by forcing traffic on 235 to slow or stop.

If vehicles can't safely move into the turn lane, and turn, without slowing traffic on 235, then you've defeated the purpose

BernieP

Resident PIA
At FDR and SB 235 (Wildewood) there are lines painted across the lane - clearly indicating that vehciles coming out of FDR can pull forward.
Nobody is that foolish. People get in the lane and use every argument in the book to defend their misuse.
Well I was tuning at the next traffic light - (only because there's a physical barrier there) - failing to mention the driveways and side streets they are passing enroute.
Just like the vehicles who don't even slow down making a right from rodes like RT4, Chancellors Run. The problem there is the market right on the corner and people, particularly at AM rush, that want to turn in to WaWa or Sheetz. (not to mention some of those drivers take the turn so fast they can't stay in the right turn lane, the cross into the main right lane.

1stGenSMIB

Just like the vehicles who don't even slow down making a right from rodes like RT4, Chancellors Run. The problem there is the market right on the corner and people, particularly at AM rush, that want to turn in to WaWa or Sheetz. (not to mention some of those drivers take the turn so fast they can't stay in the right turn lane, the cross into the main right lane.
I don't know who let that traffic pattern EVER get the OK..what a giant PITA.