Southern Maryland health departments charge for food inspection reports

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

If you’re curious whether your favorite restaurant was cited for keeping food at the wrong temperatures, obtaining food from an unapproved source or employees failing to properly wash their hands, it might cost you.

The Enterprise requested a year’s worth of food inspections from the St. Mary’s health department, equating to over 500 food service facilities and 2,700 pages of inspections. The health department responded with a bill for $1,240. The Enterprise declined to pay for that information.

Restaurants, groceries and other food venues are inspected one to three times per year, depending on the level of risk associated with how food is handled.

Some counties in Maryland make those records available online to view for free, while others do not. In Southern Maryland, one county is working to transfer to digital, one already has, and another has no plans to do so.

St. Mary's County:

Health officials in St. Mary’s said they are working to make those reports more accessible to the public.

“We don’t have the technology in place as of yet,” Dr. Meena Brewster, St. Mary’s health officer, said about making records available online.

Charles County:

However, the health officer in Charles County’s health department said they post its food inspection reports online when the public criticized the lack of availability on the department’s social media.

“We felt that transparency is important and sought a way to provide meaningful data to our county residents and visitors,” Lisa Laschalt, Charles County’s director of environmental health services, said in an email. “We hope to improve upon the information provided in the near future to include links to full inspection reports.”

Calvert County:

Calvert County residents will have to fill out a public records request, like St. Mary’s, if they want to find out if restaurant employees are washing their hands properly. Inspection reports are not posted on its website either and the department is “not currently” making efforts to do so, according to Calvert’s deputy health officer.

“Such digitization and automation are outside the scope of our current information technology and website capacity,” Champ Thomaskutty, Calvert’s deputy health officer, said.

Interesting the differences between the 3 counties. :eyebrow:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I keep wondering if mostly hardware stores have the proper health certificates to sell snacks and drink, including my employer...or if such is required.

black dog

Free America
Its interesting that they can print someone a copy of the report but not email it or have it available online.
I would also think if they print it, its already been scanned and on a computer.
Certainly the county has a few IT professionals that can make that happen pretty easily....
If they wanted to......

tipsymcgee

I keep wondering if mostly hardware stores have the proper health certificates to sell snacks and drink, including my employer...or if such is required.
I think a permit is only necessary if you are preparing food or have foods that are perishable. I don't think you need it for snacks/prepackaged items and drinks. A liquor store or convenience store only needs it if they have, say, fountain drinks, or sell milk/eggs/butter, or probably the microwavable food items.

Clem72

Its interesting that they can print someone a copy of the report but not email it or have it available online.
I would also think if they print it, its already been scanned and on a computer.
Certainly the county has a few IT professionals that can make that happen pretty easily....
If they wanted to......

You remember that copy machines are a thing, right? Doesn't surprise me in the least that the official record might be the sheet the inspector scrawled on and turned in. Easy to copy, hard to scan/OCR.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
If they wanted to......
Just a point of clarification, health departments in Maryland are state agencies, not county. They fall under the Maryland Department of Health.

http://www.smchd.org/about-our-agency/

MiddleGround

If they wanted to......

Gotta make that dolla!

They charge $25 to Xerox a birth certificate!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think a permit is only necessary if you are preparing food or have foods that are perishable. I don't think you need it for snacks/prepackaged items and drinks. A liquor store or convenience store only needs it if they have, say, fountain drinks, or sell milk/eggs/butter, or probably the microwavable food items.
Makes sense, thanks.

Though, I wonder if one of the County Gubmint types is reading this, got a "Hmmm, another source of revenue there..."

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Tell me about it. MVA wouldn't accept my original FEDERAL berf "registration", said they needed the blue berf certificate. So I paid 25 bucks for a sheet of paper that has the berf location wrong.

My wife and I had to order a raised seal version from the state bureau of vital records back in Taxachusetts.

officeguy

and/or how much payola is exchanging hands. Changes of getting caught: slim to none.

I was going to say that they can't just scan and put the reports online. If they get a request, they need to first type up a report that doesn't have grease stains and the pencil marks that indicate the payola status.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
A health inspection report revealed there was evidence of mouse droppings and nesting inside a Leonardtown grocery store in early December.

Dozens of documents obtained by The Enterprise through the Freedom of Information Act showed a year’s worth of health inspection reports for all the food-preparing grocery stores in St. Mary’s County. While most reports were not perfect, the McKay’s Food and Drug location in Leonardtown was the only store with evidence of mice.

A Dec. 9 report states the evidence of the mouse droppings were found in the pet food aisle and the back foyer of bread storage, “as well as mouse access holes in foyer between sales floor and back stores, back receiving overhead doors, including exterior foundations where access points are in evidence.” The report also states there was nesting beneath the card displays “and two loaves of bread burrowed into” that were later thrown out.

An inspector stated in the report that small “ineffective” mouse traps were found in the store and recommended a more aggressive pest control service.

Mark Morris, deputy director of the environmental health division for the St. Mary’s health department, said, through an email, the evidence of mice is considered a Good Retail Practice violation, which must be corrected within 30 days. The Leonardtown store has put an effective pest management plan in place, according to Morris, and a report states there is some evidence of improvement.

Thomas F. McKay, president of McKay’s Food Stores, said the mice were a result of a remodeling project that started during the fall. He said the back doors were opening more than they usually would have.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I read that when it came out. I was surprised that people weren't all that concerned with mice.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I read that when it came out. I was surprised that people weren't all that concerned with mice.
Just catching up and saw this. Busy weekend. :razz: Yes, saying "rodent infestation" doesn't bother them blew my mind. Gross. :barf:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just catching up and saw this. Busy weekend. :razz: Yes, saying "rodent infestation" doesn't bother them blew my mind. Gross. :barf:
I stopped going to the Food Lion in California after seeing mice running around in the food isle.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I stopped going to the Food Lion in California after seeing mice running around in the food aisle.
A friend worked there for awhile and after the horror stories I heard him tell, I decided I would shop elsewhere. :jameo: