SPACECOM, Stupid! Then Again, Maybe Not: India Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Not so long ago an esteemed member of this forum made the observation that POTUS was an idiot for pushing SPACECOM.

Turns out there's now bi-partisan support for SPACECOM in Congress with more coming on-board in the wake of this:

The Indian government announced March 27 it successfully fired a ground-based anti-satellite weapon against a satellite in low Earth orbit, a test that is likely to heighten concerns about space security and orbital debris.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that the country's military successfully demonstrated an anti-satellite (ASAT) weapon in a test known as "Mission Shakti." In that test, a ground-based missile, a version of an existing ballistic missile interceptor, hit a satellite at an altitude of about 300 kilometers.

The test, though, could increase concerns about the security of space assets in general. A February report by the Defense Intelligence Agency highlighted efforts by China and Russia to develop ASAT capabilities, including both ground-based missiles and other technologies, although neither country has performed a debris-generating test since China destroyed one of its own satellites with a ground-based missile in 2007, generating a large amount of debris that triggered international criticism.

Link: "India Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon"

Maybe not such an idiot...? Maybe someone saw past the Service parochialism to push US where we need to be going...?

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are certain forum members who should make being wrong their career. They would make a fortune.

This_person

Not so long ago an esteemed member of this forum made the observation that POTUS was an idiot for pushing SPACECOM.

Turns out there's now bi-partisan support for SPACECOM in Congress with more coming on-board in the wake of this:

Link: "India Tests Anti-Satellite Weapon"

Maybe not such an idiot...? Maybe someone saw past the Service parochialism to push US where we need to be going...?

--- End of line (MCP)
I suspect the criticism was based almost entirely on the pictures and attitudes of people who were likening it to Star Wars characters and such. The criticism has about as much to do with reality as much of what [*ahem*] certain forum members ever have.

glhs837

Power with Control
I suspect the criticism was based almost entirely on the pictures and attitudes of people who were likening it to Star Wars characters and such. The criticism has about as much to do with reality as much of what [*ahem*] certain forum members ever have.

Agreed, no thinking person can justify the attitude that we will NOT need a capability to protect our interests off the planet. Ignoring that need simply means that those who are willing to get pushy can do it unopposed. You think Chinese militarized islands in the South China Sea are bad? Imagine Chinese rocks ready to deorbit

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
I see you "got" my "Not so long ago" subtle Star Wars ref.... (Didn't want to go with a direct SW opening titles riff. Too obvious.)

Nicely done!

--- End of line (MCP)