SPAMALOT!!! Baltimore..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BG surprised me with tickets to SPAMALOT at the Baltimore Hippodrome. Since we missed the show in NY she decided to buy two tickets to the traveling show in Baltimore.

Not the greatest of neighborhoods, but it seems like Baltimore is trying to pull it back up starting with renovating the Hippodrome. Listening to the people sitting behind us this theater sat empty for over 30 years, and after many $$$ and lots of work re-opened 3 years ago.

We arrived in town about 7:20 for an 8:00 show. There was still parking on the streets when we got there, but we decided it safer to park in a parking garage. The extra $10 it cost to park was worth it to us, and as everyone travelled to and from the garage in sizable groups never felt unsafe of nervous.

We went inside the Hippodrome and were amazed at the finish, and professional look of this downtown theater, it's wasVERY modern in the foyer and the halls surrounding the theater. AND we there for all of 30 seconds before Tracey saw someone she knew, a bartender from Bowens Inn. We walked up to our seats in the Upper Baclony (ROW O) which seemed to be nose bleed seats, but more on that later. The theater was BEAUTIFUL!! Like stepping back in time, and the people attending the show (and remember this was SPAMALOT) were mostly dressed up for the night out. Lot of evening gowns, men in suits and ties.. but still others were in jeans and everyone seemed comfortable. The theater itself would have kept me entertained for hours if I was allowed to explore.

When you see the chart of where we were sitting you'd think we wouldn't be able to see anything, but we could see the expressions on the actors faces, and the hand getures of the French Knights with horrible accents.

The show was rip roaring funny.. scenes taken directly from the movie, and the comedy updated to today.. even with a mention of the knights going to battle and possibly being shot.. by Michael Moore. A lot of schtick and cheap jokes, but keeping in line with Monty Python it was hilarious. The audience loved it, the performers were unbelievably talented, and it made for a great (k)night, and well worth the 2.5 hours up and back of driving.

The sets were mindblowing and the way they intertwined the stage perfomance with background video was incredible. We even got to hear John Cleese as GOD!!!

It's playing for one more week, Sunday is already sold out, and we might be trying to get tickets for my son and a date for his birthday.

The evening, the theater and the show.. :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
As you know, Jazzy and I saw it again yesterday for the second time. AWESOME!!!

It was mainly the same group of actors we saw the last time, with the exception of Sir Robin. But the new actor was fabulous!

You can tell that the whole cast has much fun with the whole production and that make is much more enjoyable. :yay: :yay: :yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
RoseRed said:

It was mainly the same group of actors we saw the last time, with the exception of Sir Robin. But the new actor was fabulous!

You can tell that the whole cast has much fun with the whole production and that make is much more enjoyable. :yay: :yay: :yay:

I even told BG that.. This would be a FUN job, and they all actually seemed to enjoy what they are doing.. I thought the Lady of the Lake was FANTASTIC.. how often does someone with her talent really got to cut loose and just have fun?

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
:yeahthat: Fantastic show and very well done. :yay: I enjoyed it all. Well, except for stinky-onion-breath-burper man and cheap-perfumer-even-cheaper-liquor drunk lady. :ohwell:

It helped seeing the movie "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" again so some of the numbers/humor made more sense. :lol:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
itsbob said:
Not the greatest of neighborhoods, but it seems like Baltimore is trying to pull it back up starting with renovating the Hippodrome. Listening to the people sitting behind us this theater sat empty for over 30 years, and after many $$$ and lots of work re-opened 3 years ago.

It's only a block away from Lexington Market and that draws not the best crowd.

We arrived in town about 7:20 for an 8:00 show. There was still parking on the streets when we got there, but we decided it safer to park in a parking garage. The extra $10 it cost to park was worth it to us, and as everyone travelled to and from the garage in sizable groups never felt unsafe of nervous.

We parked this time in the garage that is actually attached to the theater and never even had to get on the street. Parking was only $7 too!

We went inside the Hippodrome and were amazed at the finish, and professional look of this downtown theater, it's was VERY modern in the foyer and the halls surrounding the theater. AND we there for all of 30 seconds before Tracey saw someone she knew, a bartender from Bowens Inn. We walked up to our seats in the Upper Baclony (ROW O) which seemed to be nose bleed seats, but more on that later. The theater was BEAUTIFUL!! Like stepping back in time, and the people attending the show (and remember this was SPAMALOT) were mostly dressed up for the night out. Lot of evening gowns, men in suits and ties.. but still others were in jeans and everyone seemed comfortable. The theater itself would have kept me entertained for hours if I was allowed to explore.

http://www.france-merrickpac.com/history/index.html

It is very beautifully restored and I never would have known about it but I thank my sister for getting my mom and I front row seats to Cats for Christmas a couple of years ago. There's a nice pictorial history of the theater in the downstairs foyer that's worth looking at.

When you see the chart of where we were sitting you'd think we wouldn't be able to see anything, but we could see the expressions on the actors faces, and the hand getures of the French Knights with horrible accents.

There's not really a bad seat in the house although ours were way off to the left and we couldn't see a bit of the stage.

The show was rip roaring funny.. scenes taken directly from the movie, and the comedy updated to today.. even with a mention of the knights going to battle and possibly being shot.. by Michael Moore. A lot of schtick and cheap jokes, but keeping in line with Monty Python it was hilarious. The audience loved it, the performers were unbelievably talented, and it made for a great (k)night, and well worth the 2.5 hours up and back of driving.

The sets were mindblowing and the way they intertwined the stage perfomance with background video was incredible. We even got to hear John Cleese as GOD!!!

Most definitely. :yay: Very funny, modern, and absolutely wonderful performers. :clap:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
RoseRed said:
They were awful. :faint:

No kidding. :twitch: Now I know why in the olden days ladies would take scented hankerchiefs with them. I think I'm going to start doing that. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
jazz lady said:
No kidding. :twitch: Now I know why in the olden days ladies would take scented hankerchiefs with them. I think I'm going to start doing that. :lol:
:nosegay: :yay: