Spay/Neuter assistance?

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Hello6
Small dogs go fast, but if ever a poodle comes in and needs a little Baytril, I'll keep you in mind.
Dems, you want to clap for me for just 2 dogs? I've taken every kitten they've sent me, the youngest are 3 weeks old. I have an entire room devoted to kittens. Got 2 of them adopted this Sunday and have 20 odd left to do.

I've read some of your other posts in the past.. I was glad that you are still doing good for the animals :flowers: :clap:

DoRite

wow.... go to lunch and all hell breaks loose.....

The reason I say it's human's fault is where do you think these cats came from? People moving, people getting a pet and not keeping it home, not spaying and neutering to begin with.....

People problem - people have to solve it...

As far as the hunters on base shooting the cats, yes I heard the same thing here in the office - I don't approve of it.

Anyway, back to your name calling.....

Hello6

Princess of Mean
You're absolutely right about it being people's fault. Cats just don't spontaneously appear out of thin air. Although, I have one that appears out of fat air.:biggrin:
I'll be out there with a paint ball gun and shoot the hunters. Fun for all!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by DoRite
As far as the hunters on base shooting the cats, yes I heard the same thing here in the office - I don't approve of it.
What mAlice was saying (I think) was that there's no point in getting the cats spayed/neutered, then turning them back to the "wild" so hunters can shoot them. It's a waste of time and money.

DoRite

I know what she is saying.... but I also know that they do not get every cat out here. It's a toss up.....

Personally I hope to see the same one's here in a year, but at least there won't be anymore little ones... At least not if I can help it...

Hello6

Princess of Mean
Have the vet's notch the cat's ear to indicate that they're fixed.
When a cat colony is wiped out, it creates a void. Give it a little while and it's built up again. When you do spay/neuter/release, it keeps the colony under control.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Not to knock either of you, but how is this humane to the animal you release back into the wild? It's still susceptible to disease, it's still eating from dumpsters (lord knows how many get stuck n the dumpsters and hauled off to the dump), it's still freezing during the winter, and it still has to fight off larger animals, not to mention the damage it causes to indigenous bird population. I also wonder who's going to catch the cat next year to give it a rabies booster.

I'm all for catching and finding homes for any offspring that can be domesticated, but to put these animals back into the wild just sounds more like torture to me.

Hello6

Princess of Mean
I'm all for keeping cats indoors, but if a colony is established, they've obviously found a way to survive the harsh winters and other perils of life outdoors. If they're wild and can't be homed, I don't think they deserve to die. It's a difficult job. The rabies vaccine is good for 3 years, that one year shot is the same shot as the 3 year one. If they last that long, more power to em.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I see your point, but I just can't agree. When I read "survive the harsh winters and other perils of life outdoors" I envisioned an emaciated cat. I just think it's less humane to put them back out. But that's just me.