Speaking of AIDS...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Who else is old enough to remember the hysteria and fear mongering? "OMG we're all gonna die of AIDS!! :jameo: " The media would cherrypick a Ryan White or dental patient to "prove" that anyone could get it. Ol' AIDS virus, lurking on toilet seats just waiting to attack some 80 year old granny. Burn anything an HIV positive person touches! :jameo:

Of course the reality is that if you aren't a gay man or IV drug user, your chances of getting AIDS is close enough to zero to be zero, and you don't catch it by casual contact. But at the time the media had us jacked up and paranoid. HIV people had the same stigma that anti-maskers do now.

It wasn't as bad as it is now because we didn't have the internet, nor were our elected officials so blatantly corrupt and power mad, but it was the top headline for years.

BOP

Who else is old enough to remember the hysteria and fear mongering? "OMG we're all gonna die of AIDS!! :jameo: " The media would cherrypick a Ryan White or dental patient to "prove" that anyone could get it. Ol' AIDS virus, lurking on toilet seats just waiting to attack some 80 year old granny. Burn anything an HIV positive person touches! :jameo:

Of course the reality is that if you aren't a gay man or IV drug user, your chances of getting AIDS is close enough to zero to be zero, and you don't catch it by casual contact. But at the time the media had us jacked up and paranoid. HIV people had the same stigma that anti-maskers do now.

It wasn't as bad as it is now because we didn't have the internet, nor were our elected officials so blatantly corrupt and power mad, but it was the top headline for years.
And Proof™ that conservatives hated gays and wanted them to die.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Of course the reality is that if you aren't a gay man or IV drug user, your chances of getting AIDS is close enough to zero to be zero, and you don't catch it by casual contact.

My Ex-wife Chose to bed some wanna be hood rat after our divorce who was running the SE DC streets in the 90's poking Crack Whores

Both died of HIV related causes ... him much earlier, my EX after about a 20 yrs of living with the choices it was ugly at the end

and no you could not get AIDS from Casual Contact .... wasn't that Herpes from toilet seats

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Haitians were also mentioned early on as being susceptible to AIDS. After a while they quietly stopped mentioning them.

I recall 1 theory was that amyl nitrate(poppers) was the cause of AIDS. Because they were often used by gaymen. Some claim poppers suppress immunity.

And to think that Ervin Johnson has lived with aids for 30+ years. I'm sure it's no fun having it, but it's not the death sentence that it once was.

And still very preventable.

mitzi

Who else is old enough to remember the hysteria and fear mongering? "OMG we're all gonna die of AIDS!! :jameo: " The media would cherrypick a Ryan White or dental patient to "prove" that anyone could get it. Ol' AIDS virus, lurking on toilet seats just waiting to attack some 80 year old granny. Burn anything an HIV positive person touches!

I remember the frenzy well. Luckily, I worked at a hospital when this took off. They had a few educational seminars on it. VERY interesting, informative and factual.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

And still, after billions upon billions of research taxpayer dollars spent, since 1981, 40 years, no vaccine. And yet, four new untested, unproven, unapproved, COVID vaccines were supposedly developed in record three months time and granted Emergency Use Authorization?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

And still, after billions upon billions of research taxpayer dollars spent, since 1981, 40 years, no vaccine. And yet, four new untested, unproven, unapproved, COVID vaccines were supposedly developed in record three months time and granted Emergency Use Authorization?

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm....."

Christy

b*tch rocket
There is a common denominator. Dr. Fauci.