Speaking of Pets and Animals

SailorGirl

I was in the commissary Saturday. The only "animals" I've ever seen in there is an occasional help dog or the German Shepherds with the security people. And birds - the commissary has a small bird population. So on Saturday, I walked by this guy who had opened this cross body pouch thing and was showing his pet mice to a little girl in the shopping cart.

I immediately wondered if they were support animals, followed by what the *uck, why the hell would someone bring mice into a place that sells food (or clothing, or books, or anything). Is it just me or is does that border on slightly cuckoo? Woke up thinking about that this morning - arguing they might have be an odd choice support animal.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was in the commissary Saturday. The only "animals" I've ever seen in there is an occasional help dog or the German Shepherds with the security people. And birds - the commissary has a small bird population. So on Saturday, I walked by this guy who had opened this cross body pouch thing and was showing his pet mice to a little girl in the shopping cart.

I immediately wondered if they were support animals, followed by what the *uck, why the hell would someone bring mice into a place that sells food (or clothing, or books, or anything). Is it just me or is does that border on slightly cuckoo? Woke up thinking about that this morning - arguing they might have be an odd choice support animal.
That's nasty. Last time I saw mice in a store, they were running amuck at Food Lion in California. :barf:

SailorGirl

That's nasty. Last time I saw mice in a store, they were running amuck at Food Lion in California. :barf:
It's not just me then. Although I've never seen any of their droppings, I don't even like the fact that there are birds all over the place - mice would make me leave for good and never come back. I've never understood mice/rat people and why they think they're good pets.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
It's not just me then. Although I've never seen any of their droppings, I don't even like the fact that there are birds all over the place - mice would make me leave for good and never come back. I've never understood mice/rat people and why they think they're good pets.
I thought is was great to have one. When I was 10.

As long as they were in the pouch, probably not a big deal.

Now if he had them in his pants.........

SailorGirl

I thought is was great to have one. When I was 10.
There's that too - I was thinking he was a little old to be into mice as pets - unless they were meant to feed something else like his pet snake - which I also don't get. Support snake.

SailorGirl

As long as they were in the pouch, probably not a big deal.

Now if he had them in his pants.........
In his pants - like gerbils? That's what I'm arguing with myself over, they were in a pouch, but still why bring them in a store?

Yooper

Bag the stock, not the barrel
PREMO Member
So on Saturday, I walked by this guy who had opened this cross body pouch thing and was showing his pet mice to a little girl in the shopping cart.
Didn't we just have a thread today about why men don't talk to women today? Or hold doors open. Or talk to young kids in stores for fear of getting labeled a perv/creep/etc.

As to the actual sighting I don't want mice in my food store. I don't care if it's a support animal. If a grown person needs a support animal and chooses a mouse/mice that person's got a far bigger problem than emotional support needs.

I think I would have reported the dude to commissary management. But that's just me; even though I haven't worn my "fatigues" for years I still take my cap (cover) off when I'm in the NEX, etc.

--- End of line (MCP)

SailorGirl

Didn't we just have a thread today about why men don't talk to women today? Or hold doors open. Or talk to young kids in stores for fear of getting labeled a perv/creep/etc.

As to the actual sighting I don't want mice in my food store. I don't care if it's a support animal. If a grown person needs a support animal and chooses a mouse/mice that person's got a far bigger problem than emotional support needs.

I think I would have reported the dude to commissary management. But that's just me; even though I haven't worn my "fatigues" for years I still take my cap (cover) off when I'm in the NEX, etc.

--- End of line (MCP)
You lost me - what does one thread have to do with the other?

Yooper

Bag the stock, not the barrel
PREMO Member
You lost me - what does one thread have to do with the other?
It was this: "I walked by this guy who had opened this cross body pouch thing and was showing his pet mice to a little girl in the shopping cart."

Just seemed so creepy to me; assumed it to be a case of strangers....

Just my #RandomThoughts.

--- End of line (MCP)

SailorGirl

Thanks, makes more sense to me now. The parents were right there - didn't get the impression that they knew each other but I suppose it's possible - they were engaged in conversation which I didn't hear but should have gone somewhere along the lines of what the **** is wrong with you that you think it's okay to bring rodents into a military commissary?

mitzi

Not slightly cockoo, extremely cuckoo.