Speed test

mitzi

I need help understanding this. I'm not tech savvy when it comes to things like this. I don't know if my numbers are good, bad or somewhere in between. How can I decipher this or can someone tell me?

Pretty easy. There are two numbers, and upload speed and a download speed. Download is how fast it's coming to you. This number should be pretty close to the rate in your contract, ie 50Mb download, etc...

The upload speed is on the order of 10 times slower than the download speed unless you have fiber optic service. Then it's almost the same.

Can wireless devices on the same router have drastically different speeds?
Sure can. Lots of variables, like the protocol being used (a,b,g,n), what other devices are using that same router and protocol, the device itself....

mitzi

Pretty easy. There are two numbers, and upload speed and a download speed. Download is how fast it's coming to you. This number should be pretty close to the rate in your contract, ie 50Mb download, etc...

The upload speed is on the order of 10 times slower than the download speed unless you have fiber optic service. Then it's almost the same.

I have Atlantic Broadband. The download says 16.97, Upload 2.14 and Ping 18. I don't know if this is bad or not. I sent a complaint to ABC that their streaming is constantly buffering and freezing on the PC. The app won't even load half the time on the Firestick. I only have this problem with ABC. They told me to run the test

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I ran a speed test..first time since we switched from Verizon/Broadview T1 to Atlantic Broadband. Not too shabby... 136 MB download and 54 mb upload.

MiddleGround

I have Atlantic Broadband. The download says 16.97, Upload 2.14 and Ping 18. I don't know if this is bad or not. I sent a complaint to ABC that their streaming is constantly buffering and freezing on the PC. The app won't even load half the time on the Firestick. I only have this problem with ABC. They told me to run the test

Which ABB service do you have? That download speed seems very, very low.

I had issues with my speeds recently. Caled to have a tech come out (that is a whole other story) and it turned out the problem was 2 fold. Problem with the way my local junction box was wired (it was a mess) and a problem at the box down the road. Since then, it has been really good.

glhs837

Power with Control

I had issues with my speeds recently. Caled to have a tech come out (that is a whole other story) and it turned out the problem was 2 fold. Problem with the way my local junction box was wired (it was a mess) and a problem at the box down the road. Since then, it has been really good.

might be the same guy that finally got us sqaured away. He pinned won our intermittant connection to a poorly made splice between the cabel box out on the road and the connection on the side of the house and required them to come out and replace that whole 250' buried run. We just upgraded to the higher speed package and are flying right along. I did note that ABBs speed test consistently shows a higher number than Ookla.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
might be the same guy that finally got us sqaured away. He pinned won our intermittant connection to a poorly made splice between the cabel box out on the road and the connection on the side of the house and required them to come out and replace that whole 250' buried run. We just upgraded to the higher speed package and are flying right along. I did note that ABBs speed test consistently shows a higher number than Ookla.

ABB had to replace about 250' of underground cable here too.

mitzi

I don't have the top speed service, I have the one below that. I would think it would be better than this. Thanks to all that explained. I'm calling ABB. It could be an outside problem, I'm sure the cable lines are ancient.

MiddleGround

I don't have the top speed service, I have the one below that. I would think it would be better than this. Thanks to all that explained. I'm calling ABB. It could be an outside problem, I'm sure the cable lines are ancient.

Definitely call. I think the mid-level package even has at least a 50Mb download and maybe 8-10Mb upload.

There is a problem.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Recycle power to your modem, then check the speed test again.
Is there a difference?

Clem72

Okay, if your heart starts racing and you sweat a lot thats too much speed. Cut back a bit.
Is there a difference?

Bypass the router/wireless and test the modem directly. Wire straight from the modem to the computer and turn off the computers wireless. If your speed test is still crap, it's probably an issue with the lines. If the test is good, then it's an issue with your router/devices.

You can also log into the router (default IP should be on the label, otherwise google. Probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). You can then see the signal level that the modem reports and google the results to see if they are good/bad. Ideally you want to be near 0db.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

mitzi

I called ABB. They did a reset and it's running great. The Tech said it was showing a lot of errors.

glhs837

Power with Control
Okay, if your heart starts racing and you sweat a lot thats too much speed. Cut back a bit.

Bypass the router/wireless and test the modem directly. Wire straight from the modem to the computer and turn off the computers wireless. If your speed test is still crap, it's probably an issue with the lines. If the test is good, then it's an issue with your router/devices.

You can also log into the router (default IP should be on the label, otherwise google. Probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1). You can then see the signal level that the modem reports and google the results to see if they are good/bad. Ideally you want to be near 0db.

Back in Metrocast days, I called in and said there was a problem with the line. they say, we have to eliminate the house wiring as an issue. "Well, Ma'am, in addition to the fact that every inch (all 24 of them between the side of the house connection and the modem) of it is new cable I ran myself and properly terminated with the same tools your techs use, there's the small fact that I have my moden plugged directly into your cable from the street. I unplugged that from the side of the house and plugged that right into the modem and have my computer connected directly to the moden with an ethernet cable. IT's NOT THE HOUSE!!!!"

MiddleGround

I called ABB. They did a reset and it's running great. The Tech said it was showing a lot of errors.

How old is the modem? Also, is it an ABB rental or do you own it?

(Prior to my line problems in my previous post)I had error issues with my modem. Reset fixed it.... temporarily. Then, the errors mount up again and you are dragging. If it's a rental, I would ask for an upgraded modem. If it is yours... might want to look for a replacement/upgrade.

mitzi

How old is the modem? Also, is it an ABB rental or do you own it?

(Prior to my line problems in my previous post)I had error issues with my modem. Reset fixed it.... temporarily. Then, the errors mount up again and you are dragging. If it's a rental, I would ask for an upgraded modem. If it is yours... might want to look for a replacement/upgrade.

It's an ABB modem. The Tech suggested to periodically reset it. I'm thinking about getting my own. Paying to rent this doesn't make much sense.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Is there a difference?

:yay: