'Splain This

GopherM

Darwin was right
If someone can tell me what's going on here, I'm listening

Grumpy

We tried something like that to cut tobacco back in the day, only we used one of those gravelly walk behinds with the brush cutter on the front. Didn’t work so well.
Rented one of those once to cut a big area of vines/briars, didn't work so well and was sorry I rented the damn thing. Was easier clearing the area by hand.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We tried something like that to cut tobacco back in the day, only we used one of those gravelly walk behinds with the brush cutter on the front. Didn’t work so well.
Rented one of those once to cut a big area of vines/briars, didn't work so well and was sorry I rented the damn thing. Was easier clearing the area by hand.
Back in the 70s the Raley brothers, Al and Jim, had some sort of apparatus with table saw blades and a nose like a soapbox derby car on it for 'bacca. IDK the full story, but needless to say, it didn't catch on.

We had a walk behind at Ace rental with a 13hp that was bad to the bone. I think it was rated up to 1" diameter. I used to sharpen that thing regularly. They take a real beating.

Reactions: TPD

Grumpy

We had a walk behind at Ace rental with a 13hp that was bad to the bone. I think it was rated up to 1" diameter. I used to sharpen that thing regularly. They take a real beating.
Sounds like what I rented, what I was cutting on a hillside with vines interweaved with briars, little bit of resistance, the wheels would spin. Also, a couple times, the chain popped off. I wasn't cutting anything over 1/2 inch. Took it back after wrestling with the thing for 4 hours, job was half done. Turned out it was easily, physically, cutting it with a scythe and I finished in a couple hours.

TPD

the poor dad
Back in the 70s the Raley brothers, Al and Jim, had some sort of apparatus with table saw blades and a nose like a soapbox derby car on it for 'bacca. IDK the full story, but needless to say, it didn't catch on.
we tried many different mechanical ways of cutting tobacco, including a 10” saw blade on a weed eater. It always came back to the best thing being a tobacco knife in the hand.

CPUSA

we tried many different mechanical ways of cutting tobacco, including a 10” saw blade on a weed eater. It always came back to the best thing being a tobacco knife in the hand.
Ya just couldn't ever get the stalks to lay correctly. All it did was make a mess & made spearing tobacco that much more difficult

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
........tobacco knife in the hand.

I spent a dozen summers cutting tobacco. Daddy wouldn't let me spear, said I was too short and would spear my nose.

Stripping it, OMG, I HATED (can't add enough emphasis) that job. But watching them pat it in baskets was fascinating. They let me try that once, but I was too light weight, got it 4 feet high and it threw me on the ground.

Good times.

TPD

the poor dad
I spent a dozen summers cutting tobacco. Daddy wouldn't let me spear, said I was too short and would spear my nose.

Stripping it, OMG, I HATED (can't add enough emphasis) that job. But watching them pat it in baskets was fascinating. They let me try that once, but I was too light weight, got it 4 feet high and it threw me on the ground.

Good times.
Out of the entire process, I too hated the stripping part! Especially on snow days when school was closed and we had to strip tobacco all damn day!

Grumpy

Out of the entire process, I too hated the stripping part! Especially on snow days when school was closed and we had to strip tobacco all damn day!
♫Patches
I'm dependin' on you, son
To pull the family through
My son, it's all left up to you♫